RS1i slightly bass deficient @ 65 hours?
Sep 7, 2010 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been spending much time on my cans, speakers seeing more use these days, but for the past two days I've been listening to the RS1i in office and have a query - is the bass on the RS1i less than the SR225? I've got approx. 65 hrs on the RS1i and am using them unamped on a Macbook Pro, the same way I use the SR225.
I do not remember the bass quantity on the SR225 when it had 65 hrs on it, but at the moment they have some 460 hours on them and bass has slightly more punch. While the RS1i does have bass, for the most I find it missing.
Do they need more hours? Do they need more amping than the SR225 to give the same amount of bass?

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 7
You have options.  Tape the outer diameter of the bowls w/ black electrical tape, buy some TTVJ Flat pads or punch 2-4 holes in the back of the driver.  Or EQ and bass boost.  Try playing w/ positioning on your ears and headband adjustment.

Edit - Washing your bowls and using conditioner might also improve compression and help bass a bit.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
You have options.  Tape the outer diameter of the bowls w/ black electrical tape, buy some TTVJ Flat pads or punch 2-4 holes in the back of the driver.  Or EQ and bass boost.  Try playing w/ positioning on your ears and headband adjustment.

Yeah, in other words...modding. 
It also depends on how good are your sources, they can have a nice amount of bass with a good amp. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 7
^In other words, less bass when compared to a SR225, both unamped? So what you're saying is they're basically slightly harder to drive?

@Analixus - you said "washing bowls, and using conditioner" You mean on the bowls right? I'm a bit confused...

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
^In other words, less bass when compared to a SR225, both unamped? So what you're saying is they're basically slightly harder to drive?

@Analixus - you said "washing bowls, and using conditioner" You mean on the bowls right? I'm a bit confused...

Yes, remove the bowl cushions and toss them into the washing machine.  Some detergent and fabric softener then air dry.  Done.  Some people use hair conditioner on the bowls which is basically adding a layer of wax to the surface like it does to your hair.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I havent heard the SR-225s so I'm not sure which has more bass, but I'd also recommend the TTVJ flat pads.

I have owned both and the RS1i's have more bass than the 225i's.

The TTVJ flats do bring out more bass, but collapse the small sound stage even further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back