RS1, or RS2, Which Would You Discontinue?
May 3, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I found the HD650 more of a reference than the RS1. I'm in the camp that the RS1 is overpriced at $600 new, much less $700. The RS2 is a better deal. Discontinue the RS1
evil_smiley.gif

Eh! To each his own. I've gotten so into the Grado sound, I'm probably going to put my HD650 up for sale soon.

May 3, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #47 of 68
With regard to the comment about a "need for a reference," I heartily agree: yes, having a "reference" caliber headphone is worthwhile and prudent. All I am saying is:

a) The prices of the Grado "reference" models (including the GS-1000) seem steep, especially considering the multitude of options available
b) In order to employ the term "reference" correctly, there can be only one reference--i.e. one to which others are compared...a standard by which others are judged. The scenario of multiple "references" defeats (and distorts) the meaning of the term "reference."

May 3, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I'd slash the 325i and the 125, they bring shame to the Grado line
very_evil_smiley.gif
, replace the 325i with the old HP2, rebadge the current SR225 as the new SR125, and make a lower end version of the HF-1 to replace the current SR225 to stop everyones fussing.

And while we're at it, why don't we make the RS1s cost 500 dollars new? And the GS1000s 700 instead?

May 3, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
With regard to the comment about a "need for a reference," I heartily agree: yes, having a "reference" caliber headphone is worthwhile and prudent. All I am saying is:

a) The prices of the Grado "reference" models (including the GS-1000) seem steep, especially considering the multitude of options available
b) In order to employ the term "reference" correctly, there can be only one reference--i.e. one to which others are compared...a standard by which others are judged. The scenario of multiple "references" defeats (and distorts) the meaning of the term "reference."

Very true, but Grado HAS distorted the term reference, adopting the "nouveau reference" concept, which is actually a class of products, not a strict definition. It goes Signature/Prestige, Reference, Statement, for them. It may be technically insulting for the reference badge, but so many other companies do this, that honestly, I can't blame them for wanting to make something "above" reference. To me, statement means, "All right, this is the best we can possibly make; we challenge anyone to surpass it. In other words, to our ears, this is the best headphone on earth."

May 3, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #50 of 68
Meyvn makes an interesting point here (above)...similar to the point I am trying to make.

May 3, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #51 of 68
How about just keep them in production? If the market is still good, why discontinued any of them. If I have to select one, the SR-125 needs to go. The performance gained from SR-80 to the SR-125 is minimal.

May 3, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #52 of 68
Wow, this thread is still going. I thought it was kind of strange to ask whether to discontinue 1 of the RS-1, or 2. Especially since neither of them will be. hmmm oh well keep talking about random stuff that has nothing to do with anything
tongue.gif

May 3, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #53 of 68
What if...*shock!* *horror!* folks prefer the RS-1's to the GS-1000's? In that case, getting rid of the RS-1's would mean sacrificing the sound others will love for a new sound.

What are the initial thoughts thus far? This is the non-grado Grado. This is the Grado for those who didn't like the Grado sound etc., etc. Now much could be hyperbole, since we are already given hints that the same general flavour of the sound is the same but that aspects are improved in some ways or different in others.

If the RS-1's are the "on stage" feeling, and the GS-1000's are the disctinct "I'm part of the audience," then it seems both have a place.

As for pricing, there will always be those that complain and want everything cheaper cheaper cheaper. Well, think Wallmart mentality and what it does to manufacturers. It kills them. Folks, face it, Grado sells through a distribution network. It is a small company capable of a certain volume of products. John has stated he doesn't feel like going mainstream which means moving, hiring more employees, getting his foot in the door with larger retail outlets etc etc., like Senn, Sony and AT.

So, this means, bills need to be paid, R&D needs to be paid for, a good profit margin for the company and then the distributor and the dealer etc. This is how businesses work. Of course, as I indicated above R&D needs to be paid for...the new pads are pricey they aren't $50 from Todd because everyone wants to make a fortune, they are priced that high because the base cost is high. The new cups might cost more to manufacter etc etc. So they cost what they cost and ideally, if folks can't afford them...when they start hitting the used market, perhaps then. When I first started out, I couldn't afford the RS-1's new, but I didn't go ape, I just waited until I could get them on the used market.

I can't afford the speaker system I want, but in time and when the prices drop on the used market, I will be able to. Some are lucky to have the cash, others aren't. 'Tis life but we can't expect all manufacturers to price for the poor and/or for those that don't want to buy at a decent asking price.

Regarding pricing flagship products, this is my opinion alone, but doesn't it seem odd that products that are priced low are immediately cast aside as inferior to other products priced higher?

When the RS-1's first hit the scene, they were going head to head with the Big O and the Stax Omega II's. In fact, in-print reviewers were choosing the RS-1/RA-1 over the Big O!! Years later, with headphones at the top of its game thus far (in terms of fanbase and sales) I would bet few would choose the RS-1's over the HE90's without hearing first, if only because of the hype, exclusivity of the HE90's and their pricing. After a listen, well then all is fair game, but reading poll after poll after poll, RS-1's aren't considered at the top. Near it, yes, but at the top? Not usually.

Yet the GS-1000's get demo'd and whispers that it is on par with the classified greats like R10's and HE90's makes this phone sound out of this world. I read a post by Hirsch stating that after the stagnation in companies like Sony, AT, maybe even AKG...we have something great coming out of an American company that could actually be pushing the bar again. Most consider the Qualia a downgrade from the R10. Most consider the 701's inferior to the K1000's, many feel the HD650's are simply a side-step from the HD600's, yet if initial impressions are true and the GS-1000's are a major leap above the RS-1's, then WOW this could be a phone, priced well below the top phones from other companies (K1000, L3000, R10, Qualia, Omega II, Omega I, HE90, and heck...even the PS-1!!) and yet not only compete head to head but might surpass most of them, if not all of them.

Drop the price...and in the world of Head-fi...it won't be considered the best because it isn't priced as high as the best. There have been numerous threads in the past about this very thing. "Statement Ultra-high end products" HAVE to be expensive because they have to be cost no object bleeding edge. It won't sell as well because it is priced far too low to be a true contender. Ignorant mentality? Perhaps, but it sure works that way. Maybe the HD650's are the best in the world (paired with that Tubeville amp it seems some do think so) yet at $250-300 few would declare so next to a $4000 R10.

As for the poll, I voted RS-2. I have never been an overt fan of this phone. I think it sounds good, but it falls short of the RS-1's in my opinion, but at $200 less, is it only 2/3 of the way there? No, I would say it is closer to 9/10 of the way there, so the RS-2 is a good value. It should stay too.

May 3, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #54 of 68
I've never had any real interest in either the RS-1 or the RS-2, although I've heard them both sounding excellent in certain setups. I've always preferred the HP-2 and once I had them I never looked back. I figured that one Grado was enough for me! Then along came the PS-1, 325i, HF-1 and now the GS-1000. So as I was saying, 5 pairs of Grados are enough for me...

May 3, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
And while we're at it, why don't we make the RS1s cost 500 dollars new? And the GS1000s 700 instead?

It's called a joke, being that you yourself own the SR125 I'm somehow not surprised by your comment. I know that Grado is not about to change their whole lineup and John has already made it clear he has no intention of bringing back the HP1000 line.

May 4, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

And I consider them a much better value than the RS1
evil_smiley.gif

Fanboy in - logic out
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

And I consider them a much better value than the RS1
evil_smiley.gif

Fanboyism on maximum - logic turned completely off
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Fanboyism on maximum - logic turned completely off
evil_smiley.gif

yup,

I had the L3000 for a few months (over 300 hours burn in, used on Glite V1, Melos Sha1,Ear max Modded, Zemo, and Benchmark1 DAC)
These are outstanding headphones and imaged more clearly than the W2002, but only preferred the lush sound they produced with old blues and certain Jazz recordings..the For Duke/Fatha 20 Bit 24 Kt Gold disc, sang on these..where as Miles Davis was asking me about my old HP1's and where my RS-1's were, he was mad
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally would be happier with a pair of RS-1's and RS-2's than one pair of these AT's, or maybe the R10's or SR404, as the intrumentation and artist placement is similar to these headphones yet not as accurate IMO.

Sick looking cans though, real nice..came with two storage pouches if I recall, and the box was like a puzzle!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back