RS1, or RS2, Which Would You Discontinue?
May 2, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 68
"I just don't think you understand Grado though. Grado does not, and probably never will work that way as long as John is at the helm. John's philosophy is simple... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And let me tell you first hand... the RS1 is not broken. Nor is the RS2. I spoke to John first hand recently, and he specifically mentioned that the RS1 was still after 10 years held in very high regard within the audiophile community."

You correct on that, I do not know John Grado, or have any affiliation with the company. However, I am familiar with marketing, and this isn't a uncommon scenario for product replacement.

As stated in the original post, this is to ask what you would do if you were the Grado marketing manager. It's seem that in your case you would do nothing, which is a perfectly valid answer too.

- augustwest

May 2, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #17 of 68
I clicked the RS-2 but maybe knock off both so my RS-1's will be able to fund my venture towards the GS-1000... But seriously the RS-1 for some people may still be better so why discontinue it if its still it demand and still loved
wink.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"I just don't think you understand Grado though. Grado does not, and probably never will work that way as long as John is at the helm. John's philosophy is simple... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And let me tell you first hand... the RS1 is not broken. Nor is the RS2. I spoke to John first hand recently, and he specifically mentioned that the RS1 was still after 10 years held in very high regard within the audiophile community."

You correct on that, I do not know John Grado, or have any affiliation with the company. However, I am familiar with marketing, and this isn't a uncommon scenario for product replacement.

As stated in the original post, this is to ask what you would do if you were the Grado marketing manager. It's seem that in your case you would do nothing, which is a perfectly valid answer too.

- augustwest

Well I'm not arguing Grado's case as my case, I'm just offering some of the company logic in this instance.

As I said originally, I'd bump off the SR125. It's at such a funky pricepoint in the lineup, you know? The RS1 and RS2 serve a much better purpose... $500 and $700, right? Those cover more distance in the headpone pricing lineup. Of course, if the SR125 went, it would instantly be hailed as the best headphone ever and everyone would want it brought back.

May 2, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 68
"Of course, if the SR125 went, it would instantly be hailed as the best headphone ever and everyone would want it brought back."

It's funny how that works, people always want what they can't easily get.

- augustwest

May 2, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"Of course, if the SR125 went, it would instantly be hailed as the best headphone ever and everyone would want it brought back."

It's funny how that works, people always want what they can't easily get.

- augustwest

Just look at the SR40. I had a pair, and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

May 2, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 68
Keep them all in production.
smily_headphones1.gif

if one must go, take the SR-125's and their 12000 hours of burn in..

May 3, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #24 of 68
Keep them both!
wink.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #26 of 68
They should discontinue the RS-2, thus providing these awesome cans immediate collector's item status, and pumping their prices through the roof.

No, really, what's with all this discontinuing frenzy? Is it the new FOTM? Do we really need more top tier headphones to be discontinued? For the sake of audiophilia, none of these should be discontinued, ever. On the contrary, they should bring back the HP-1000. And the Orpheus. And the K1000. And the Qualia. And the R10.

They should discontinue the TriPorts and the iBuds, though.

May 3, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
They should discontinue the RS-2, thus providing these awesome cans immediate collector's item status, and pumping their prices through the roof.

No, really, what's with all this discontinuing frenzy? Is it the new FOTM? Do we really need more top tier headphones to be discontinued? For the sake of audiophilia, none of these should be discontinued, ever. On the contrary, they should bring back the HP-1000. And the Orpheus. And the K1000. And the Qualia. And the R10.

They should discontinue the TriPorts and the iBuds, though.

Haha if they did that, it would make martyrs out of the iBuds and Triports! They'd go for $250 on the FS/FT board!

May 3, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #30 of 68
I couldn't vote either! I am in the "Search for a way to kill the upgraditus bug" mode. And the RS-2 is right there in the running as the replacement(uh, upgrade....the MS stays) for MS-1. I can see why RS-1 sells so well, so it certainly can't be removed, and even with as little respect as the RS-2 seems to get, those who have the insight to buy a set are almost unanimously happy with their decision!

......almost as if the RS-2 is a perfect bridge, with characteristics of both, between Grado and Alessandro!! Another question would be: Should Alessandro slightly modify the RS-2 and add it to his line-up?!!

.....my vote would be "Yes"!!

(it would mess up the current Alessandro pricing structure of:

MS-1=X
MS-2 =X+2X
MS-Pro=X+2X+4X

but it would still be a cool addition!!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back