RS1 caused a callus on my ear
Feb 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 18
I have no idea how this is going to affect the sound of a John Grado headphone, but this comfort mod rocks my TIGHT Joseph Grado SR100. It's my invention, the HD414 - L-bowls sandwich pad mod.

Basically what it does it that it transforms the bowls into a circumaural (around the ears instead of semi-over the ear and hurting) headphone pad. The pads rest and take the shape of the head portion and skin around your ear, -- the HD414 pad is the one of the two pads doing all the shaping, so much it's soft and pliable -- and the ear itself goes all the way up INSIDE the bowl pad. The bowl pad being firm enough will keep its volume and prevent your ear from ever touching the driver (if you're using an upright quarter modded HD414 pad) or the non-modded HD414 surface (and I repeat, used upright, not backwards as it is common trend to do). This create a breathing environment for your hears and you will never be too hot because these are made of foam and not pleather... it kind of makes the Grados feel like a closed headphone, because it encloses your ears.

As far as sound quality goes, with my HP1000 driver driven SR100, this is way better than flat or bowls pads alone. The soundstage as increased, bass tightened up but dimished a little (which is perfect for me because HP1000 driver in SR60-80-100-125-200-225-300 plastic shell are made TOO bassy and muddy) and sound clarity has improved dramatically.

I found out this mod while seeking for comfort but I was lucky that in the case of my headphone it also improved SQ.

I urge anyone to try this mod and tell me about it, I haven't tried it on any other Grados yet. You can use what ever you want to attach the L-bowls to your HD414 pad already on. I used eight small pieces of double sided scotch tape (disposed in an octagon shape), someone less conservative could use hot glue, but one sure thing is that anyone can try it by just slipping a bowl pad between his HD414 padded Grado and ear, it held well in my case.

See how drowned in sound I am! :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back