RS1 caused a callus on my ear
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

schwallman

1000+ Head-Fier
I have always read about grados hurting ears and through my experience with the grado line I never experienced this. I bought a pair of RS1s for myslef during christmas and have had them stuck to my head daily at work. I am now developing callus on my outer ear. They are red and puffy and are killing me. I have flat pads and the bowls that came with them that i try to switch between for comfort. Anyone ever experience this? will it go away or should I just stop wearing them. If i could take a pic I would share but just looking at me straight on you can tell my ears are swollen on the antihelix.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 18
Try stretching the headband so there's less pressure on your ears. It's a metal bar, so it won't break. 
My RS1's just kinda float on my ears, no fatigue whatsoever.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
Try bowls? Some say they suck out the mids though...

bowls' suck life out of everything...yes, even the tight bass unless you quarter mod them

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Try stretching the headband so there's less pressure on your ears. It's a metal bar, so it won't break. 
My RS1's just kinda float on my ears, no fatigue whatsoever.

i saw this in a post earlier. I gave it a try and it seems to help some. I need to let the swelling go down before I can notice a difference. My ears look like a ufc fighters ears.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Search the net for "Garfield Headphone Softies".  I know B&H Photo carries them online.  You'd want the regular size ones and the brown or black look decent on the wood Grados.  They make them very comfortable and don't alter the sound in a noticable way to me.  I use these a lot and find them very comfortable.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Wait, what?
The RS1's already come with the bowls. And you can't quarter mod bowls as far as i know.
I think 3602 means the Jumbo Pads i.e. G-cushions (stock GS1000 pads) and BuffaloWings means the comfy pads (stock SR60 pads)

Quote:
Quote:

bowls' suck life out of everything...yes, even the tight bass unless you quarter mod them

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 18
do they go aver the pads?

Quote:
Search the net for "Garfield Headphone Softies".  I know B&H Photo carries them online.  You'd want the regular size ones and the brown or black look decent on the wood Grados.  They make them very comfortable and don't alter the sound in a noticable way to me.  I use these a lot and find them very comfortable.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 18
I call the big ones the jumbos. i didnt like the way they sucked the life out of my old hf2s

Quote:
Wait, what?
The RS1's already come with the bowls. And you can't quarter mod bowls as far as i know.
I think 3602 means the Jumbo Pads i.e. G-cushions (stock GS1000 pads) and BuffaloWings means the comfy pads (stock SR60 pads)

Quote:
Quote:

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 18

I will probably order a set and see how it goes. If i was crafty I would like to get some leather to match the dark brown headband. Still an option.

Quote:
Yes the Garfields go over the existing Grado pad, seems to work best over bowls, quarter modded comfies or flats.  Doesn't do moch over plain comfies.  Like others have said, bending the headband helps a lot too.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 18

i saw this in a post earlier. I gave it a try and it seems to help some. I need to let the swelling go down before I can notice a difference. My ears look like a ufc fighters ears.

I had exactly the same problem when I got my RS2i's, it felt like my ears were on fire. After stretching the headband and letting my ears recover they have been fine since, dare I say they are even comfortable. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I had the exact problem as you with every single Grado. Did you wash them first? It softens it up, but even then my ears were in intense pain. They were red and looked dented. No headphone should make skin come off.

I have washed them. im not sure its the pads though. My ears touch the plastic. Ill give them another anyway just to be safe.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:

I had exactly the same problem when I got my RS2i's, it felt like my ears were on fire. After stretching the headband and letting my ears recover they have been fine since, dare I say they are even comfortable.  

Hopefully I will have the same result. It sucks I finally worked my way up to a pair of rs1s that I could keep and now having to worry that they might just not work out for me. Ill let my ears heal and keep the band bent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back