RS-2i worth it or mod the crap out of 325i
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #16 of 39
Cables do not change sound that drastically if anything. Parts around the driver? The SR125 and SR60 both use plastic, what other parts are you looking at?

Agreed...I've owned the following Grados:

SR60
SR80
SR125
SR225i
SR325is
RS1
RS1i

And they were all quite different, way more than just the subtle changes that a cable can make....sorry, but I don't this that the same driver argument doesn't apply.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #17 of 39
The way I see it for grados is while dampening,venting and housing may alter the sound, the "soul" of the headphone is still from the drivers. I'm not saying you can't mod a grado to sound good, you can't just assume it sounds exactly like a certain grado model judging from only from the materials you've used. I've been down this route with a modded SR225, believing that it was close enough to the RS1 until I actually heard a RS1; I sold the SR225 afterwards.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
I disagree. I take you've never heard a SR60 vs a SR125. Also if they were all using the same driver, why does the SR125 sound much brighter than the SR60 with the same pads and housing? Visually they look the same, coating you can't see

I have heard every Grado up through the RS2i, including all the Alessandro models.  And I have owned a lot of them.  I personally didn't find the SR125i any brighter than the SR60i or SR80i.  But I have also heard multiple examples of quite a few models, and there definitely is some manufacturing variation within the same model line too.  (And I'm not talking about burn in differences.)

But at the same time, there are definite general differences between the models as you go up in price too.  So I also believe that no, you can't turn an SR60i into an RS1i, no matter how much you mod'ed the SR60i.

I have a Bilavideo'ed SR125i on the way, so I'll be curious how that one sounds. 
smile_phones.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #20 of 39
Until Grado make another 'HF-2', I have my sights firmly set on the Ms-PRO - several hundred dollars cheaper than the RS1 here in Oz.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
RS2i = Warm but still detailed.
SR325is = Earshriekingly bright.

IMO. 
smile_phones.gif

RS2i is the natural progression from the SR80i, SR125, SR225i, MS2i.

SR325is is oddball.

But some people do like them.

i was understanding that the MS2/MS2i are in the same ball park as the SR325/SR325i in terms of earshrieking brightness, true or not? or are the MS2's just a little tamer?

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
see, I'm not going to spend 600$+ and from what I have been reading the step up from the rs-2 to rs2-1 is negligible. The HF-2 might be another story but I have never seen one for sale.

If you're willing to buy used and go for the non-i version, RS-1's can be found in the $400's. And actually I see HF-2's in the classifieds all the time, the only trouble is people are trying to price gouge with that can.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero 

"Honestly, I'd just save up and get the RS1is....and then rest assured that IMO it doesn't get any better for current production Grado cans."

I, personally, preferred the HF2 over the RS1 when I compared the two together. I owned the HF2 for some time and really enjoyed them. If you like the house Grado sound then the RS1 might be the way to go. I liked the HF2 because I felt they're a bit warmer, have more bass impact (although extensions is about the same) and the highs don't have the sizzle of the RS1. YMMV of course. Neither of the two are like the shreikingly shrill 325is. I can still feel the pain. LoL

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
If you're willing to buy used and go for the non-i version, RS-1's can be found in the $400's. And actually I see HF-2's in the classifieds all the time, the only trouble is people are trying to price gouge with that can.

Its called 'supply and demand', and you can thank Grado for that. Anyone can ask $1000 for a pair of PX100s, but they arent going to sell - HF-2 owners know that they have a highly desirable pair of cans and they 'gouge' accordingly. Unlike the LCD2/T1/HD800 etc, the HF-2 is limited to the number currently in circulation, and that will always push the price up.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 39

Quote:
Until Grado make another 'HF-2', I have my sights firmly set on the Ms-PRO - several hundred dollars cheaper than the RS1 here in Oz.

about 100$ more than the rs-1 in the US. I don't have the 325I and no way am I paying 300$ for a magnum mod. I might have a buy for the rs-2 vintage but I want to test the rs-2i VS rs-1i at 32 ohm audio soon.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
about 100$ more than the rs-1 in the US. I don't have the 325I and no way am I paying 300$ for a magnum mod. I might have a buy for the rs-2 vintage but I want to test the rs-2i VS rs-1i at 32 ohm audio soon.

I plan to go to a store sometime this week and demo a RS2i since I've never heard it before, will compare against the RS1i. The salesperson is fairly nice and I always buy grado bowls pads from them so I'm sure I could literally demo as long as I want. I am really hoping it is not very warm like the RS1i.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 39
Yea, the guys at 32ohm are great. the dude that works on the weekends let's me and my friend run arond like kids in a candy store ahaha.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #28 of 39

Quote:

Bilavideo (Bill) is working on some modifications for the 325 series of Grados.  Apparently, he's cutting some wooden liners for them.  I should have a pair headed my way soon, so I can perform this modification.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
i was understanding that the MS2/MS2i are in the same ball park as the SR325/SR325i in terms of earshrieking brightness, true or not? or are the MS2's just a little tamer?

The MS2i's are a lot warmer than the SR325i(s).  A lot tamer.  A lot more balanced.  (I kept the MS2i's I have, got rid of the SR325is's I had within 2 weeks of buying them.  Shrill.  Fatiguing.  Harsh.  Brittle.  I like the SR225i's a lot more than the SR325is's even.)

I have the MS Pros at the moment, and even those are a hair brighter than the RS2i's.  I really like the RS2i's, and don't really understand why they don't get more love here ...

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
The MS2i's are a lot warmer than the SR325i(s).  A lot tamer.  A lot more balanced.  (I kept the MS2i's I have, got rid of the SR325is's I had within 2 weeks of buying them.  Shrill.  Fatiguing.  Harsh.  Brittle.  I like the SR225i's a lot more than the SR325is's even.)

I have the MS Pros at the moment, and even those are a hair brighter than the RS2i's.  I really like the RS2i's, and don't really understand why they don't get more love here ...

Interesting impressions. I went back over an old thread comparing the Ms-PRO to the RS1 today, and several people said they originally found the RS1 to be more 'in your face' but after spending more time with both headphones they felt it was a subtle difference at best. Another poster actually felt that the MSPro was closer to the RS2 sound.

Personally, I found that the 325is improved over time - whether I simply got used to them or the 414 pads put more foam between the treble and my ears is anyone's guess. I also realised that I needed to ease back on my 'normal' listening volume by a degree or two to really enjoy my Grados. If it wasnt for the 'Eureka moment' that accompanied the SR60 mods, I probably would have set my sights on the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back