RS-1 worth it?
Aug 6, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Having listened to the RS1s in many situations and the 325i from several good amps and sources, I'd say there is no way I could imagine the 325s ever sounding better than the RS1s in the same or similar situations. I prefer the RS1s from the headphone out on my laptop to the 325is through the MPX3 driven by my pioneer DV563a and well mastered SACDs. Hands down, no question, no doubt in my mind.

This definitely assuages my doubts! Thanks everyone for your insight. Looking at your sig tho, grawk, I noticed the quote about the infamous "Grado slam"...how well do the RS-1's have the Grado slam? And what the hell is it anyway??
biggrin.gif
Having never heard a Grado myself...

GoRedwings19, you do bring up a good point of testing out these cans. I plan on checking out a pair of sr60s or sr125s at a local audio shop, definitely, just to see whether I like the Grado sound. Plus, Todd has a 30-day money back guarantee for the RS-1.

Looking forward to ears enveloped by sickly sweet fuzzy goodness of RS-1s...

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Go ahead and get the PS-1 while you can. You know you want it
very_evil_smiley.gif

What are you trying to do, force us into bankruptcy?
eek.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Go ahead and get the PS-1 while you can. You know you want it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Unless the PS1s start producing food and other amenities along with music, I am sure I wouldn't be interested
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #34 of 74
I disagree again with the people who tell you the RS-1 are "better" cans. They're different, but not better. They may like the RS-1's sound signature better, but imho the 325i sounds better if you like a sharper, more aggressive sound, which I do. Like I said, guitars lose their magic with the RS-1 because it is woody, and you get a much smoother, fuller sound which I personally dislike.

Aug 6, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
They can be had for under $600 new.

mind letting me know where?
i'm seriously thinking about getting a pair of RS-1 and RA-1 within this comine week or so.
thanks

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #36 of 74
You know here is a dumb question..... grados are open cans and I know open cans don't give isolation and leak sound, but how much sound does it actually leak? Will people in the room basically hear exactly what your hearing at the same volume? I've always owned closed cans because I try to disturb people as little as possible around me. Grados sound awesome but if they are super open still cant try em.

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Yes, Grados leak alot. People will hear your music, not loud, but loud enough to know whats playing.

Just loud enough to hear the hissing of the symbols...
Drives my girl bananas
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by shochu
mind letting me know where?
i'm seriously thinking about getting a pair of RS-1 and RA-1 within this comine week or so.
thanks

I confirm that rs-1 are going for below $600. That is what made my mind up.. I decided why get one used for $500 with no box, warranty, extended cable, or adaptor, and RS-1 button worn.

When you can get one new for less then $600.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Spend some money on your source and buy MS-2 instead.

RS-1 are shockingly underwhelming.

A source upgrade will matter a lot more.

-Matt

Hmm, good to see a different opinion there. I would like a source upgrade, to maybe something like a VDA-1 + VAC-1, but hey that's $500! I've listened to very good sources before, and to my ears, I simply don't think it's worth all that money. IMO, i'd be getting into last 5% or 10% territory there, and it seems more and more like an RS-1 instead of my current HD555's would be money well spent.

But yes, MS-2's would probably be my alternative to the RS-1. It seems like most people think there's a huge difference between the two, has anyone else noticed otherwise?

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #42 of 74
I have been looking into the Alessandro MS2, Grado RS-2, Grado SR-325i,
and Grado RS-1.

Is there a thread that has discussed the sound differences between these
cans? (please post a link.) What is the sound difference between the MS2,
SR-325i, RS-2, and the RS-1?

I am looking into the above mentioned models as an upgrade from my
AudioTechnica ATH-900's. Is there a shop in the Denver Colorado area
where I can audition any of the high end Grado Headphones?

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
But yes, MS-2's would probably be my alternative to the RS-1. It seems like most people think there's a huge difference between the two

What about the SR-325i, and the RS-2?
confused.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
Hmm, good to see a different opinion there. I would like a source upgrade, to maybe something like a VDA-1 + VAC-1, but hey that's $500! I've listened to very good sources before, and to my ears, I simply don't think it's worth all that money. IMO, i'd be getting into last 5% or 10% territory there, and it seems more and more like an RS-1 instead of my current HD555's would be money well spent.

But yes, MS-2's would probably be my alternative to the RS-1. It seems like most people think there's a huge difference between the two, has anyone else noticed otherwise?

There is a huge difference between the two: the MS-2 are better, to my ears, with more clarity and resolution.

That $500 is almost the difference between MS-2 used and an RS-1 used, as well ($500 compared to $200).

The difference between your current source and something like the VDA-1 is much greater than the difference between the MS-2 and RS-1.

I've listened to a lot of sources and I think it's worth the money to spend in that range ($500-$1000)...I haven't tried the VDA-1, but it has received generally positive reviews.

YMMV.

-Matt

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I have been looking into the Alessandro MS2, Grado RS-2, Grado SR-325i,
and Grado RS-1.

Is there a thread that has discussed the sound differences between these
cans? (please post a link.) What is the sound difference between the MS2,
SR-325i, RS-2, and the RS-1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
There is a huge difference between the two: the MS-2 are better, to my ears, with more clarity and resolution.

That $500 is almost the difference between MS-2 used and an RS-1 used, as well ($500 compared to $200).

The difference between your current source and something like the VDA-1 is much greater than the difference between the MS-2 and RS-1.

I've listened to a lot of sources and I think it's worth the money to spend in that range ($500-$1000)...I haven't tried the VDA-1, but it has received generally positive reviews.

i own(ed) the ms-2 classic. the moment i heard the rs-1s, i knew i had to get them - price be damned. fwiw, no other headphone i've ever listened to has elicited such a reaction from me.
wink.gif

the ms-2 is a fine headphone, yes. imo it is an excellent headphone for the price. yes, you are paying a lot more for the rs-1, but as with all things in life, there's a premium to pay for being 'amazed' as opposed to being merely 'satisfied'.

but imo, the rs-1 is better. my source is not exactly top-end, yet the difference between the ms-2 and the rs-1 is startling - one must have cloth ears to not hear it!
evil_smiley.gif

all imo: the rs-1 has a fuller bass, and for lack of a better word, a 'fuller' sound in general. the rs-1 has a bit less midbass and far more deep bass. the bass impact on both phones are identical, but the ms-2s have a metallic edge to things which i didnt like - things sometimes go 'think' when they should go 'thing'. the rs-1 excels at low level listening when compared to the ms-2. the rs-1's midrange is, imo, magical compared to the ms-2, which can be a little too dry sometimes. what you call clarity, i call a marked dip in 5-7khz. what you call resolution, i call a slightly tipped up treble. we'll all agree to disagree here.
wink.gif

but no - i'm not saying that the rs-1 is perfect. it's not. it has a tendency to 'ring' and sometimes i do wish the highest treble and midbass was toned down a teensy weensy bit. but is it close to my vision of perfection? of all the headphones ive tried so far, most certainly.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back