RS-1 worth it?
Aug 5, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
RS-1 has too much bass with flats and is too bright with bowls... My experience wasnt too positive with it, I preferred the metal Grados personally.

Did you try reverse bowls for a compromise?

you could be suprised.

Morphie you changed your user name? Sorry I didn't recognise you.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The Rs-1 has a different sound to the current Grado lineup. Also while it is warm and has more musical body it has a midrange that you while either love or hate. It is sickly sweet midrange not to mention it has a long decay of notes. This is what most people who hate the Rs-1's annoying.

You need to audition as this is an expensive phone to find you don't like it. But it is a lot of fun as it can rock. Do not let the fuzzy midrange fool you. It can rock.

I am not trying to put you off, on the contrary I love the Rs-1's to bits but rather to let you know it's just not a simple case you like a warm midrange. The people who love them like it for it's unique midrange. While others hate it for that same exact midrange.

Not to mention a lot of people do not like Grado's comfort levels. I have never found it to be a problem.

They can rock, but in your opinion are they the best in rock compared to other Grados?

I have the SR-60 and like the SR 225 but I think the bass and impact on 325 is better. I have advertised for a used RS-1 and hopefully can get it cheaper.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
They can rock, but in your opinion are they the best in rock compared to other Grados?

I have the SR-60 and like the SR 225 but I think the bass and impact on 325 is better. I have advertised for a used RS-1 and hopefully can get it cheaper.

I like the sr-60's and 225's as well. The Rs-1 has the most amount of bass compared to all the Grado's (besides the Ps-1 as that is subjective) when using flats. The problem with using flats I find is that detail suffers with the midrange and at the expense of soundstage. But using flats will give the most bass and impact. But it is not as controlled as the Ps-1's bass and come across as "boomy" I like to use reverse bowls for general listening as I find it a good compromise.

Buy used. It's cheaper and also if you don't find they are to your taste's then you will hardly make a loss, if any at all on the Rs-1's.

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 74
Yes you're right, I forgot about reversed bowls, that helped reducing the bass, but I found it still too bloomy for my taste, and electric guitars totally lost their magic. Soundstage and musicality are definately a plus for the RS-1, but I like sound signature of the 325i more. I'd say I like treble better with them because guitars are just great, mids aren't as good but come close to the RS-1's, and the bass while not as bloomy and not as full, it tighter and more controlled. I wouldn't say one was better than the other if it weren't for the difference in price. They simply each are best at doing their own specific things, it all comes down to what you want more in a can
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 74
I use my RS-1s with an iPod (320K AAC) and a Gilmore Lite and truly enjoy the sound. Sure, the source is the limiting factor in my rig, and yours too, but that doesn't mean that it won't still sound great. It just means that if you ever do another upgrade, you only have to worry about the source and not the cans.

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 74
One more thought after seeing another question in this thread. I've owned the 225s, the 325i and the RS-1s and I definitely think that the RS-1 is by far the best Rock-n-Roll headphone of the bunch and definitely worth the money.

The 225's are good, but no match for the RS-1s. The 325i is technically a great headphone, but it's extremely revealing and better suited to very well recorded classical and jazz, IMHO. A lot of rock albums that sounded terrible on the 325i's are truly enjoyable on the RS-1s.

95% of my listening is Rock music and since buying the RS-1s, I've never had the urge to buy another set of headphones.

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 74
Could we say that 325i are from better systems with better source material. So then you prefer the 325i sound to the RS1 sound in that condition.

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Could we say that 325i are from better systems with better source material. So then you prefer the 325i sound to the RS1 sound in that condition.

Having listened to the RS1s in many situations and the 325i from several good amps and sources, I'd say there is no way I could imagine the 325s ever sounding better than the RS1s in the same or similar situations. I prefer the RS1s from the headphone out on my laptop to the 325is through the MPX3 driven by my pioneer DV563a and well mastered SACDs. Hands down, no question, no doubt in my mind.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 74
I demoed a pair for about an hour. Amazing amazing.. Not sure $695Amazing. If around $550 then YES- Used OK also. When you get into that price range your options open up. You could get a used STAX setup for around there..give or take(mainly give) This is one Can that will find it's way into the collection. It won't disappoint that's for sure.

Aug 6, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
I demoed a pair for about an hour. Amazing amazing.. Not sure $695Amazing. If around $550 then YES- Used OK also. When you get into that price range your options open up. You could get a used STAX setup for around there..give or take(mainly give) This is one Can that will find it's way into the collection. It won't disappoint that's for sure.

They can be had for under $600 new.

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 74
I am also seriously contemplating an upgrade from my 325i to the RS1. I had decided i'd go for am amp upgrade to Gilmore Lite, but after Grawk reviewed and confirmend my dislike of the 325i, I changed my mind and am now planning to go for the RS1.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The Rs-1 has a different sound to the current Grado lineup. Also while it is warm and has more musical body it has a midrange that you while either love or hate. It is sickly sweet midrange not to mention it has a long decay of notes. This is what most people who hate the Rs-1's annoying.

Since I listen to a whole lot of Rock & Metal (Many of which have insanely rapind Drumming), I want to know if the "long decay" you mention of will be of an issue. A quick response I figure is most important here and I am pretty happy with the 325i in doing that, but totally dislike its harsh highs.

Also, in an extremely enegretic music like Heavy Metal, would the RS1s "long delay" create a distorted and blurry effect wherin the instruments played become less distinguishable? *I would really appreciate any Heavy Metal listeners experience of the RS1
Quote:

Target1
I'd go for the RS-1s for sure. See how you like them, and make it as long as you can on your current source. I'm a firm advocate of getting the best item possible the first time around to avoid having to upgrade.

I couldn't agree more. I started off with an SR60. After 20 days bought the SR80 and after 2 months got the 325i and it has been almost 20 days with the 325i and am now looking forward to the RS1.

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Yes you're right, I forgot about reversed bowls, that helped reducing the bass, but I found it still too bloomy for my taste, and electric guitars totally lost their magic. Soundstage and musicality are definately a plus for the RS-1, but I like sound signature of the 325i more. I'd say I like treble better with them because guitars are just great, mids aren't as good but come close to the RS-1's, and the bass while not as bloomy and not as full, it tighter and more controlled. I wouldn't say one was better than the other if it weren't for the difference in price. They simply each are best at doing their own specific things, it all comes down to what you want more in a can
smily_headphones1.gif

You would be in a good possition to answer my above mentioned question. Do understand that it is only the highs of the 325i I find not to my liking, but all other aspects like the speed of response etc are to my complete liking so far (except for a little backward presentation when compared to the SR80 and SR60).

Since I have read before that you too listen to a lot of Metal, it would be great if you could clarify a few specif doubts:

1. Does the RS1 have a more forward or backward presentation that the 325i?

2. Does the RS1s decay delay of notes make Heavy Metal music sound blurry. I don't listen to Death Metal, just stuff like Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth etc.

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #30 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
I couldn't agree more. I started off with an SR60. After 20 days bought the SR80 and after 2 months got the 325i and it has been almost 20 days with the 325i and am now looking forward to the RS1.

Go ahead and get the PS-1 while you can. You know you want it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back