RS-1 worth it?
Aug 12, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #62 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
to the people that highly prefer the rs1 to the ms2: Is the sr225 better than the ms2 in your honest opinions... since its supposed to be similar to the rs1? to ms2 lovers: what can you say about this?

I sold my SR225 and kept the MS-2i. The MS-2 have better soundstage and bass detail. They are also less colored and less strident in the upper midrange.

These two headphones are in different leagues, IMO. MS-2i and RS-1 are much more similar to eachother than SR225 and MS-2i.

-Matt

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #64 of 74
Well, halfway through my month of saving up for RS-1's, and I'm getting awfully antsy. those DT880's and external DACs are looking more attractive by the day, yet I must steel my will and wait for the RS-1. Anyone else find it difficult waiting for your new cans, or am I just horribly impatient?
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
Well, halfway through my month of saving up for RS-1's, and I'm getting awfully antsy. those DT880's and external DACs are looking more attractive by the day, yet I must steel my will and wait for the RS-1. Anyone else find it difficult waiting for your new cans, or am I just horribly impatient?
biggrin.gif

Nope, I am the same. When I had to wait for the RS-1's, I was using SR60's and I couldn't listen to them without speculating about the sound of the RS-1's. When I ordered my Ety's from Headroom, they arrived in Canada during a 3 day blizzzard. The first day they "tried to deliver" FedEx style, and due to weather were not going to try again for a few days. So, I WALKED to the airport dispatch outlet to get them. Took me 4 hours to get there, should have taken 2 at most. I was able to score a bus back though. Thank goodness.

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #66 of 74
Now that my RS-1s are sold and I can post without it seeming like I'm just trying to push my gear . . . 8~)

I absolutely think that the RS-1s are worth the wait and price of admission, plus some. It was the decision to get the PS-1s that prompted me to sell the RS-1s (could not afford both; or either for that matter but that's a different story). Packing them up today to send to their new home was actually a sad affair. I'm certain that I'll end up with another pair at some point.

I drove to get the RS-1s and paid expedite fees for most of my other gear. Guilty. But, having typed that, IMHO, wait for the RS-1s

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #67 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
MS-2i and RS-1 are much more similar to eachother than SR225 and MS-2i.

-Matt

MS-2i and RS-1's are totally different beasts. I'd say the sr-225 is closer to the RS-1's creamy presentation where as the ms-2i was more cold and anlytical.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
MS-2i and RS-1's are totally different beasts. I'd say the sr-225 is closer to the RS-1's creamy presentation where as the ms-2i was more cold and anlytical.

The MS2i are more closer to the Hp-2's than the rs-1's. The only problem is it isn't even close.

The MS2i can or MS2's for that matter are very good cans in their own right. The only problem is when compared directly to a hp-series phone then the MS2 or i's come off badly. It sounds like a more "rawer" version. Also the highs of the hp-2's don't go as high as say a R-10 or he60. But it is very smooth at the top.

By comparison the MS2i's sound grainy at the top end. It's not as cohesive.

For the price though you can't complain about the Ms2's or i's. And represent for those who want the Grado style cans but with out the grado highs it proves itself to be worthy addition to your collection.

Seek out a pair to audition and make you own decision if it has a place in your collection.

Is the Rs-1 worth it? I don't know the answer for I have a bias towards the headphone. It is my one of my two top faves for sure. Technically it can't compete with the "mega" headphones. But I do find it's midrange the most seductive of all the headphones I have owned. I know of many owners who loved it but then tire of the sweet midrange and long decay rates. I never got to that stage.

I love it warts and all. The woolly bass, the somewhat etchy highs when using bowls. I love the look of it. But I think for the most part if you can find an amp which synergises with it, even modest budget amps it can reward if given the chance. I disagree it needs a super expensive amp to make it sing.

One of my first amps was an EMP. It sung like an angel. Sure it didn't have that controlled bass and the detail was a little lacking but that midrange blew me away.

But on the flip side I can understand why people get put off by the midrange and they rather stick to their Ms2's or whatever. Not everyone can handle the midrange.

But audition and listen with your own ears. Try it flats, bowls to see if you think you could put in the hours with it. Make sure that the comfort level is adequate for you as I know many headfiers dislike Grado's comfort.

But most of all have fun auditioning them and other headphones as well.

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #71 of 74
Well, I actually got a chance to listen to some Grados today. I stopped in for a couple minutes at a hi-fi store while I was running some errands, and they unfortunately didn't have the RS-1, but I got to try some SR225s. It was a brief demo, but my impressions were very positive. I've become so used to the presentation from my Senns that the difference between the two was noticeable, mostly in the treble extension and sound of strings on the SR225. These cans sounded amazing with strings, and I don't doubt that the RS-1 perform considerably better. Strings on my HD555s have a synthetic, plasticy nature that the Grados trounced completely. They were similarly impressive with live material, somehow the soundstage and forwardness do indeed make one feel more present in the music. And I must have a small head, because the headband was tightened all the way and they fit perfectly.

There were a small number of faults I found with the SR225, but they were very small. I felt the physical quality of the cans could've been better, all that plastic didn't really match the sounds coming out of them. They also seemed to muddle things up a bit (technical term, I know) when handed passages with lots of treble. I didn't get a chance to play anything with considerable bass, but it felt like there could've been more of a slam or impact to the bass as well.

It seems from all the posts I've read in this thread that all of these faults I found in the SR225 get cleared up in the RS-1s. I'm a lot more confident about purchasing the RS-1s now after having listened to some cans in their prestige series. If anyone else would like to compare these two cans, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions!

Sep 3, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #72 of 74
IMHO, There is no better headphone that is worth every single penny and the tax than the RS-1's. They are marvelous. I know you will love them.

Sep 3, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #74 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
It seems from all the posts I've read in this thread that all of these faults I found in the SR225 get cleared up in the RS-1s. I'm a lot more confident about purchasing the RS-1s now after having listened to some cans in their prestige series. If anyone else would like to compare these two cans, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions!

I have had the SR80, 325i and now thw RS1s. You will have a drastically improved soundstage with the RS1s which I really dig. But this comes at the cost of a slight loss in detail when compared to my 325i but this also makes the music more musical to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I would suggest that you don't keep your expectations too high so as to be expecting a drastic improvement over the SR225. The sound signature will more or less be the same and you will find it very hard to justify the price difference of $500 in terms of the performance improvement. That is how I feel, though many folks may disagree. Anyway, inorder to get the added soundstage and musicality provided by the RS1, you have no other choise but to shell out for them and a few months down the line, you would have totally forgotten about the money and would be rolling in the musical bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back