RS-1 worth it?
Aug 5, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

infinitefurby

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of investing in the fine RS-1 as my first (and hopefully last) taste of the Grado sound. After reading up on them a lot here on head-fi, I'm pretty confident their warm, lush midrange, high resolution, and superior dynamics are exactly what I'm looking for.

What worries me is that they might be overkill for my system. I've read that they're very good even out of a DAP or PCDP, but with cans of this caliber you definitely want to see their true potential...so, here's my setup:

computer: foobar2k kernel stream -> chaintech av-710 analog line-out -> gilmore lite

vinyl: gemini 2100 direct drive TT -> stanton next preamp (gets the job done) -> gilmore lite

Any and all opinions appreciated!

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 74
If you're thinking about it, it means you've got the bucks. Save yourself money and buy them. Otherwise you'll be upGradoing all the way there, anyway, and spending extra money in the process.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 74
Yeah, money isn't an issue so much...it's more that I'm worried the RS-1's will sound crappy in my system. I mean, I don't exactly have a dac1 and melos amp or anything like that...so will the RS-1s instigate some serious upgradeitus in the source and amp categories, or should they sound fine with what I've got?

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
Yeah, money isn't an issue so much...it's more that I'm worried the RS-1's will sound crappy in my system. I mean, I don't exactly have a dac1 and melos amp or anything like that...so will the RS-1s instigate some serious upgradeitus in the source and amp categories, or should they sound fine with what I've got?

Hi infinitefurby,

RS-1 is definetly worth every penny you pay for them. It might sound less than its optimum on your current setup (speculation only) but it will sound great nonthenless.

Currently on a RS-1 rebound myself...
biggrin.gif

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 74
try a sr325i, ms2i, or sr-225 first. But . . if you got the cash, and plan on upgrading the source, then go for the rs1

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
try a sr325i, ms2i, or sr-225 first. But . . if you got the cash, and plan on upgrading the source, then go for the rs1

Ah so a definite source upgrade after the RS-1, maybe a channel islands VPP-1 for my turntable?
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 74
New RS-1 user here (about a week now), coming from Senn HD650, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. No regrets except for the slight PS1 lust that is quickly dissipating the more I listen to these cans.

Prior to buying the RS-1s, I had the SR-60s for a week and knew that I liked the Grado sound. I then heard the RS-1 at a Head-Fi Meet, but knew even before then what direction I was heading.

Have a Gilmore Lite on loan at the moment and find it to be an awesome combination (Apogee Mini-DAC as source with PCDP transport).

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 74
I'd go for the RS-1s for sure. See how you like them, and make it as long as you can on your current source. I'm a firm advocate of getting the best item possible the first time around to avoid having to upgrade. If you get any other Grado model your just going to upgrade. If you need a better source is 6 months then so be it, but I bet the wonderful feeling and sound of the RS-1s will keep you happy for that long at least.

Target

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 74
I just sold my 225's and have spent several hours listening to the RS-2's. Have also heard the 325's.

Unless money is tight - the RS-2 would be the "lowest" Grado I'd recommend. The difference from it down to the 325 and 225 is *profound*.

Go for the RS-1. You won't regret it. You've got a good amp for it and I wouldn't give a damn about the source for now. Enjoy the music and have done with it. I had some unique issues with the 225's due to my hearing loss, and was genuinely sorry when it appeared I wouldn't be able to enjoy the Grado sound fully. The RS-2's changed that reality completely and convinced me I'll need to add the PS-1's to the collection someday.

Dan

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
My experience has been that the Grado RS series sounds pretty good even out of lesser equipment.

Same here.
I occasionally use my RS-1 to listen to MP3s out of an unamped Dell DJ. You can't get much worse of a source than that.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
My experience has been that the Grado RS series sounds pretty good even out of lesser equipment.

Thirded. I've listened to
MSPro's, RS-1's brother, and PS-1 out of Rio Karma and iPod. They both sounded pretty decent out of them.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
I'm thinking of investing in the fine RS-1 as my first (and hopefully last) taste of the Grado sound. After reading up on them a lot here on head-fi, I'm pretty confident their warm, lush midrange, high resolution, and superior dynamics are exactly what I'm looking for.

What worries me is that they might be overkill for my system. I've read that they're very good even out of a DAP or PCDP, but with cans of this caliber you definitely want to see their true potential...so, here's my setup:

computer: foobar2k kernel stream -> chaintech av-710 analog line-out -> gilmore lite

vinyl: gemini 2100 direct drive TT -> stanton next preamp (gets the job done) -> gilmore lite

Any and all opinions appreciated!

The Rs-1 has a different sound to the current Grado lineup. Also while it is warm and has more musical body it has a midrange that you while either love or hate. It is sickly sweet midrange not to mention it has a long decay of notes. This is what most people who hate the Rs-1's annoying.

You need to audition as this is an expensive phone to find you don't like it. But it is a lot of fun as it can rock. Do not let the fuzzy midrange fool you. It can rock.

I am not trying to put you off, on the contrary I love the Rs-1's to bits but rather to let you know it's just not a simple case you like a warm midrange. The people who love them like it for it's unique midrange. While others hate it for that same exact midrange.

Not to mention a lot of people do not like Grado's comfort levels. I have never found it to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back