Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #601 of 1,255
Well, it seems they bundled a number of new features in this MK2 version.
MK1 is good if you're in for a VERY snappy signature (fastest decay I've ever heard in the IEM world). Bass has been tamed since burning-in, and it's now very controlled. Flat W signature all the way. Keep a copper cable and get away from silver or silver-plated copper or the treble get very piercing.

I guess the switches they implemented are there to be able to change decay, because this fast decay sounds great with rock/pop/metal, but a bit unnatural with classical music.

These MK2 look great and tempting but I have become a bit wary of Rose, given the more-than-difficult communication I had with them through Penon when Rose **cked up the 2-pin wiring on my pair of MK1.
This costed me about 25$ in shipping back + 25$ of taxes paid twice to get them repaired although they were the ones at fault. Not exactly a smooth process (> 1 month) and no excuses at all.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #602 of 1,255
  Well, it seems they bundled a number of new features in this MK2 version.
MK1 is good if you're in for a VERY snappy signature (fastest decay I've ever heard in the IEM world). Bass has been tamed since burning-in, and it's now very controlled. Flat W signature all the way. Keep a copper cable and get away from silver or silver-plated copper or the treble get very piercing.

I guess the switches they implemented are there to be able to change decay, because this fast decay sounds great with rock/pop/metal, but a bit unnatural with classical music.

These MK2 look great and tempting but I have become a bit wary of Rose, given the more-than-difficult communication I had with them through Penon when Rose **cked up the 2-pin wiring on my pair of MK1.
This costed me about 25$ in shipping back + 25$ of taxes paid twice to get them repaired although they were the ones at fault. Not exactly a smooth process (> 1 month) and no excuses at all.

Sucks that you had to jump through that many hoops! I understand from Penon that Rose does not send out any review units to them, so I think I am going to be taking the plunge myself. Will keep you guys updated. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #603 of 1,255
Your early impressions could still convince me though, I'm so weaaaaaaaaaaak, and I still love the MK1 very much, they're on steroids because of the fast decay and this gives a very airy sound with lots of space between instruments!

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #604 of 1,255
  Your early impressions could still convince me though, I'm so weaaaaaaaaaaak, and I still love the MK1 very much, they're on steroids because of the fast decay and this gives a very airy sound with lots of space between instruments!

I've contacted Penon last night. I didn't get a response from them yet, so I don't know what the situation will be. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #605 of 1,255

I've been able to work something out with Penon Audio. I will be purchasing a unit. I will keep you guys updated on ETAs and whatnots.

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #606 of 1,255
Rose Margaret now.   http://penonaudio.com/Rose-Margaret-Dual-Dynamic-Earphone

This company puts out good specs on paper, but does it really amount to anything? They could have just took out the 2 BAs from Cappuccino, slashed the price in half, and called it a day. The other dual dynamic iem I've had eyes on is the Alpha & Delta AD01, which has been reviewed extensively and is 1/2 the price. Just don't like the drop down design. Anyone aware of any others in sub $200 range?

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #607 of 1,255
  Rose Margaret now.   http://penonaudio.com/Rose-Margaret-Dual-Dynamic-Earphone

This company puts out good specs on paper, but does it really amount to anything? They could have just took out the 2 BAs from Cappuccino, slashed the price in half, and called it a day. The other dual dynamic iem I've had eyes on is the Alpha & Delta AD01, which has been reviewed extensively and is 1/2 the price. Just don't like the drop down design. Anyone aware of any others in sub $200 range?

So far, I've only been impressed by the Cappuccino model.
Hybrid 7 were meh, Pudding not worth their price, and BR5 sound downright ugly.
The fact that they don't provide retailers with demo models doesn't help either.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #609 of 1,255
  Hmm, I'm thinking that would be a good feature for Head-Fi to have. A "demo" fund that people can pitch in to for purchasing gear that is voted on by the community.

I would agree, but then who would be in charge of keeping these products when nobody is demoing them? Who is responsible for damages to the collective demo units? How do we hold to person who damaged them responsible? I think its a great idea, but a lot of risk seems to be involved here.

As far as demos go, there are some of us who have good connections to various retailers who can get decent discounts on these products. Furthermore, some of the more well-connected reviewers can ask retailers if they can "borrow" a unit for a bit to put out a review for the rest of the community. While it's less than optimal, I think this is a more suitable strategy to pursue for the time being. I am currently working with some retailers on getting some loaner units of these products, with a go-ahead already given to me with the Cappuccino Mk. II.

Also, an interesting note: it seems Rose has switched the Mk. II to a MMCX connector rather than a 2-pin connector. I don't quite like this, as I have far less faith in MMCX than 2-pin. I feel this is likely a change made to simplify the manufacturing process for Rose as they had a good number of issues with 2-pin polarization with the Cappuccino Mk. II.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #610 of 1,255
I would agree, but then who would be in charge of keeping these products when nobody is demoing them? Who is responsible for damages to the collective demo units? How do we hold to person who damaged them responsible? I think its a great idea, but a lot of risk seems to be involved here.

As far as demos go, there are some of us who have good connections to various retailers who can get decent discounts on these products. Furthermore, some of the more well-connected reviewers can ask retailers if they can "borrow" a unit for a bit to put out a review for the rest of the community. While it's less than optimal, I think this is a more suitable strategy to pursue for the time being. I am currently working with some retailers on getting some loaner units of these products, with a go-ahead already given to me with the Cappuccino Mk. II.

Also, an interesting note: it seems Rose has switched the Mk. II to a MMCX connector rather than a 2-pin connector. I don't quite like this, as I have far less faith in MMCX than 2-pin. I feel this is likely a change made to simplify the manufacturing process for Rose as they had a good number of issues with 2-pin polarization with the Cappuccino Mk. II.
agree with you cinder.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #611 of 1,255

Just a thought that popped up. I meant to say that these collective demo units would only go to contributors. Of course many of them already have no trouble getting the gear they want. This would only be for the rare instances where there is near zero communication between company and customer, so any loaners will be out of question.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #612 of 1,255
  Just a thought that popped up. I meant to say that these collective demo units would only go to contributors. Of course many of them already have no trouble getting the gear they want. This would only be for the rare instances where there is near zero communication between company and customer, so any loaners will be out of question.

I see. In that case it would be helpful to have such a fund, but I can't really imagine that happening on too many products that exist outside solely the Chinese IEM thread. Even Rose, who is not particularly customer friendly, has distributors who are certainly willing to work with us reviewers.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #613 of 1,255
It literally took me alllllll night to read through allllll the comments to find a review of the Rose Puddings. I thank each and everyone of you that went and bought them. I'm new here, so sorry if I'm late to the party. 
But yes, a few months or weeks later for some, do you still like your Roses? 

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #614 of 1,255
The Pudding is bassy enough its a bit overkill for my tastes usually. I think I've been listening too heavily to earbuds lately so the bass can be overwhelming at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back