Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #572 of 1,255
  Have anyone tried the Rose Aurora - single dynamic driver ? Their frequency chart is interesting, and looks like a musical phone. 
Also, can someone comment on the timbre and vocals of 3D-7. I'm in the mind to buy one of these two phones.

The 3D-7 is bass-heavy, with receded mids. It's a classic V-shape, but I'll be darned if it doesn't have the best bass I've heard to date. Just something so nice about it.

I reviewed it here.

But yeah, I'd say if you like bass and V-shaped SS, then go for the 3D-7.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #573 of 1,255
Thanks, Cinder, and I did read your review, obviously. I've been all over this thread. I don't like V-shaped per se, but I don't mind me some bass. My current favourite IEM is the FX750, and my only gripe is the very slightly recessed vocals. It totally kills in instrument timbre and tonality. FX1100, which i know has better vocals, is totally out of my price range. So i'm looking at 3D-7, Aurora, and the PMV A01-MKII, and having a very hard time choosing one. What would you suggest out of these? 

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #574 of 1,255
  Thanks, Cinder, and I did read your review, obviously. I've been all over this thread. I don't like V-shaped per se, but I don't mind me some bass. My current favourite IEM is the FX750, and my only gripe is the very slightly recessed vocals. It totally kills in instrument timbre and tonality. FX1100, which i know has better vocals, is totally out of my price range. So i'm looking at 3D-7, Aurora, and the PMV A01-MKII, and having a very hard time choosing one. What would you suggest out of these? 

I haven't heard the Aurora, but I don't like the PMV. It sounds unnatural. I do love the 3D-7, so I'm a little biased there. 

But yeah, definitely not the PMV.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #575 of 1,255

My Aurora is still on the way. May come in a week or so. I can share the impressions when it comes.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #576 of 1,255
So.. "unnatural" gets PMV off my list. Then i naturally assume the 3D-7s are 'natural' sounding. So, Aurora or 3D-7 then - all Rose options! Heck, I might even buy both. I'll wait for JASru's impressions though.
@Cinder - since you love the 3D-7s, may I know a couple of your other favourites, so i might get some idea of your preferences. ? I see from your review that you prefer a slight V, or rather U shaped FR, but still if you drop a couple of names, it would be great! Thanks!

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #577 of 1,255
  So.. "unnatural" gets PMV off my list. Then i naturally assume the 3D-7s are 'natural' sounding. So, Aurora or 3D-7 then - all Rose options! Heck, I might even buy both. I'll wait for JASru's impressions though.
@Cinder - since you love the 3D-7s, may I know a couple of your other favourites, so i might get some idea of your preferences. ? I see from your review that you prefer a slight V, or rather U shaped FR, but still if you drop a couple of names, it would be great! Thanks!

While I will default to saying that I like those FR's as a "safe" bet, I do not listen to IEMs solely of that nature. My favorite IEM to date has been the Accutone Pisces BA, coming in at $398. However, it's hard for me tor recommend since it comes with so few accessories and has a rather frail cable. 

My next favorite is gonna have to be the Chord & Major 01'16. My review on it isn't done yet, but I can definitely say that it is a wonderful IEM for someone who listens to electronic-bound music.

The Pisces BA is treble/mid centric, with, in my opinion, TOTL transparency, while the 01'16 has a well-tuned and textured bass and very clear mids, but receding the treble. It comes down to different IEMs having different usage cases for me.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #579 of 1,255
Finally got back my re-wired Rose Cappuccinos from Penon.

After some "tense" discussions with Rose through Penon, they finally recabled them with MMCX connectors instead of the UE-type 2-pin (without mistake this time, no phase inversion). The provided MMCX cable is better than the original 2-pin cable, but still not on par with the excellent cable of the Rose Hybrid 7. But since I have a huge collection of MMCX cables, no worries.

Currently burning these Cappuccinos, and I can promise a longer review for next week, because they sound exactly as I remember before the re-wiring:

-Nice L shape sound with very tight strong bass (very fast decay, rumble is kept to a minimum), with a relatively bright sound (if you're after warmth or organic sound, this is NOT for you!).
-Most vivid guitar crunch, drums and male voice I've tested so far. If you like it "in-your-face", because soundstage is intimate (biggest difference with the large soundstage of the Fidue Sirius that also propose a L-shape).
-Can be a bit fatiguing due to the brightness in mids and treble, but clarity is very surprising for a 2BA+2DD configuration, due to very a snappy tuning (decay is very fast on the whole spectrum).
-Very good ergonomy and large nozzles that are just begging for Spiral dot tips. Shells are small given the driver configuration (most of the space is for both dynamic drivers).
-Built quality is ok for the price but not the best. When you make transparent shells, any little defect/air bubble is very visible. The glossy black faceplates help hiding those defects when you wear them. They should make them smoky or black instead of clear.

Absolutely incomparable with the cheap Hybrid 7 and their fat V-shape (although they do look like Hybrid 7 bigger brother).
Much more lively than the Merlin and their similar driver config.

The Cappuccinos are truely trying something new in terms of tuning, unlike the rest of the Rose range. Summary in one word: SNAPPY!

Actual review next week after more ample source pairing and direct comparisons with AK Angies / AK T8iE / Fidue Sirius / JVC HA-FX850.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #581 of 1,255
  Finally got back my re-wired Rose Cappuccinos from Penon.

After some "tense" discussions with Rose through Penon, they finally recabled them with MMCX connectors instead of the UE-type 2-pin (without mistake this time, no phase inversion). The provided MMCX cable is better than the original 2-pin cable, but still not on par with the excellent cable of the Rose Hybrid 7. But since I have a huge collection of MMCX cables, no worries.

Currently burning these Cappuccinos, and I can promise a longer review for next week, because they sound exactly as I remember before the re-wiring:

-Nice L shape sound with very tight strong bass (very fast decay, rumble is kept to a minimum), with a relatively bright sound (if you're after warmth or organic sound, this is NOT for you!).
-Most vivid guitar crunch, drums and male voice I've tested so far. If you like it "in-your-face", because soundstage is intimate (biggest difference with the large soundstage of the Fidue Sirius that also propose a L-shape).
-Can be a bit fatiguing due to the brightness in mids and treble, but clarity is very surprising for a 2BA+2DD configuration, due to very a snappy tuning (decay is very fast on the whole spectrum).
-Very good ergonomy and large nozzles that are just begging for Spiral dot tips. Shells are small given the driver configuration (most of the space is for both dynamic drivers).
-Built quality is ok for the price but not the best. When you make transparent shells, any little defect/air bubble is very visible. The glossy black faceplates help hiding those defects when you wear them. They should make them smoky or black instead of clear.

Absolutely incomparable with the cheap Hybrid 7 and their fat V-shape (although they do look like Hybrid 7 bigger brother).
Much more lively than the Merlin and their similar driver config.

The Cappuccinos are truely trying something new in terms of tuning, unlike the rest of the Rose range. Summary in one word: SNAPPY!

Actual review next week after more ample source pairing and direct comparisons with AK Angies / AK T8iE / Fidue Sirius / JVC HA-FX850.

Nice impressions - answers most questions. Looking forward for your comparisons with FX850 and 3-D7

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #584 of 1,255
  Waiting for this.

Sorry. Will write in detail tomorrow.
So far - they are not suitable with instrument heavy music - orchestral or metal tracks are not the best on this one. The fit is very tricky. The bass is very strong. Sometimes too strong. It is not only hearable, you feel it. Looks like it was made for pop and dance music. The blues and country sound good anyway.
If you wish to know something in particular - tell me.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #585 of 1,255
Sorry. Will write in detail tomorrow.
So far - they are not suitable with instrument heavy music - orchestral or metal tracks are not the best on this one. The fit is very tricky. The bass is very strong. Sometimes too strong. It is not only hearable, you feel it. Looks like it was made for pop and dance music. The blues and country sound good anyway.

If you wish to know something in particular - tell me.

Can you comment on the signature, vocals, timbre and soundstage? Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back