Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #631 of 1,255
  Solder each cable onto the headphone jack,heatshrink each channel, heatshrink all the wires together before clamping, after clamping, heatshrink it again.

Proceed to braid using a four strand round braid method, then when you have 120cm of 4 starnd braided wires, use an elcheapo splitter (which won't stay together unless heatshrinked), then twist the wires into 2 pairs then solder them to your 0.75mm elchepo connectors whilst keeping them together via, you guessed it, heatshrink. Heatshrink the R and L wires to act as strain relief.

EDIT:
Link for cable
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.aMob4N&id=540678606174&_u=n2i926dja484

Thanks for the walk-through.

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #632 of 1,255
  Solder each cable onto the headphone jack,heatshrink each channel, heatshrink all the wires together before clamping, after clamping, heatshrink it again.

Proceed to braid using a four strand round braid method, then when you have 120cm of 4 starnd braided wires, use an elcheapo splitter (which won't stay together unless heatshrinked), then twist the wires into 2 pairs then solder them to your 0.75mm elchepo connectors whilst keeping them together via, you guessed it, heatshrink. Heatshrink the R and L wires to act as strain relief.

EDIT:
Link for cable
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.aMob4N&id=540678606174&_u=n2i926dja484

Thanks for the walk-through.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #633 of 1,255
I'll be getting the Aurora with my Cappuccino Mk. II as well. Will post impressions on both upon arrival.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #636 of 1,255
Short warning for those who would be interested: Rose Cappuccinos MK2 don't share much with the original Cappuccinos.

While the original Cappuccinos are W-shaped with extremely fast decay and very realistic bass and treble (extremely energetic signature, not relaxed, not smooth), MK2 are mostly L-shaped, with very STRONG bass (we're talking ASG 2.0 level here, which is quite the feat) and more relaxed mids/treble. Bass extend very low with the push-pull twin DD, and yet, bleeding into lower-mids is very limited.
MK2 have a switch to reduce decay, which is making them closer to MK1, but bass is still a bit bigger, and treble get less natural / very dry, when they stay natural and fast on MK1.
Still burning MK2, in case the bass would decrease a bit, which did happen with MK1.

Also: Cappuccinos MK2 come with MMCX connectors, they updated pictures on Penon to reflect this. Makes aftermarket cables choice wider than prominent UE sockets.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #637 of 1,255
  Short warning for those who would be interested: Rose Cappuccinos MK2 don't share much with the original Cappuccinos.

While the original Cappuccinos are W-shaped with extremely fast decay and very realistic bass and treble (extremely energetic signature, not relaxed, not smooth), MK2 are mostly L-shaped, with very STRONG bass (we're talking ASG 2.0 level here, which is quite the feat) and more relaxed mids/treble. Bass extend very low with the push-pull twin DD, and yet, bleeding into lower-mids is very limited.
MK2 have a switch to reduce decay, which is making them closer to MK1, but bass is still a bit bigger, and treble get less natural / very dry, when they stay natural and fast on MK1.
Still burning MK2, in case the bass would decrease a bit, which did happen with MK1.

Also: Cappuccinos MK2 come with MMCX connectors, they updated pictures on Penon to reflect this. Makes aftermarket cables choice wider than prominent UE sockets.

How much did you pay? I'm VERY interested if it can compete with ASG 2.0

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #638 of 1,255
  How much did you pay? I'm VERY interested if it can compete with ASG 2.0

I paid... less than MSRP for my pair. I haven't heard them, but if they can fill my bass-head void then I'll be damned, they are worth it IMO. Plus, they should definitely compliment my incoming Heir Audio 4AI S.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #639 of 1,255
  I paid... less than MSRP for my pair. I haven't heard them, but if they can fill my bass-head void then I'll be damned, they are worth it IMO. Plus, they should definitely compliment my incoming Heir Audio 4AI S.

What I am wonder is what they normally cost. Or where to buy?

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #641 of 1,255

Could you also post some pictures of yours? I wanna see how they look with the cable IRL.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #642 of 1,255
Some close up shots of the Hybrid 8 when compared against another ED 2BA+1DD IEM:

Notice the lack of any sort of capacitors or resistors in the crossover of the Hybrid 8 as compared to the ED 2BA+1DD as well as the size of the DD:

Where there is a SMD resistor in the crossover circuitry of the ED IEM, and the size of the DD within the ED is also smaller and thicker (10mm for the Rose and 8mm "Sennheiser IE80 DD Clone" for the ED)

Bass slam is undoubtedly more present in the Hybrid 8  

Another interesting thing about the Hybrid 8 is that notice the sound tube (or lack of) for the Hybrid 8. There is only one sound-tube for the 2BA and that in itself does not fully reach to the opening of the IEM, but stop just shy of it. It is also fitted with a green dampener. For the DD, there is not sound-tube at all and in its place is only a large open cavity directly connected to the opening of the IEM, where only a piece of black foam is used to wedge and stabilize the sound-tube of the BA (and perhaps tune the sound of the DD?)

Stark contrast to a more traditional or conservative approach to IEM of the ED:

Where there is the more traditional sound-tube reaching to the opening or tip of the IEM, and where each driver, DD included gets its own sound-tube. (BA in the ED also has dampers but I failed to capture them due to small size.) Also not the wiring of the ED and the Hybrid 8.

All in all, briefly, the Hybrid 8's shell is a wee bit thin for my liking and I have to say the build quality of the ED is better, however, sonically, the Hybrid 8 edges out from the ED due to its low-end, which is very well controlled and does not bleed (whereas the same can be say for the ED, but a lack of slam). Imaging, sound-staging, and detail of the Hybird 8 is also better, especially in the sound-stage department. But the ED has a more extended high which depending on your preference can be fatiguing or to die for (I am a treble head).

Just my 2cents 

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #643 of 1,255
In preparation of a Cappuccino review (2 versions for the price of one), a few close shots of the contenders.

Rose Cappucinos MK1 (2DD + 2BA):

Note that I asked for a MMCX version since they initially cabled the 2-pin wrongly.
Note the small tear shape that makes them VERY ergonomic for most ears.
No crossover, and note the 12mm dual dynamic driver taking most of the space (it is vented via a small hole).
Both 30017 Knowles BA are located right within the nozzle, which makes the treble and vocals forward, and the nozzle quite broad, perfect fit for JVC Spiral Dot tips.
Faceplates are nice and shiny black, but I would have preferred the shells slightly smoky to make small 3D-printing defects less visible.
The cable is pure copper nicely coated with golden-laced black rubber and a silicon coating. Connectors are black and small, the jack is very sturdy. No tangle, it's really a nice/handy cable.

Rose Cappuccinos MK2 (2DD + 2BA + decay switch):

Here the connectors are MMCX by default.
The shells are a nice opaque electric blue and the faceplates have a stony blue-purple-grey tinge, very classy without being too bling-bling.
The white decay switch is located on the top of the shell and recessed, so you need a small tool to activate it.
The shells are still tear-shaped but a bit deeper than the previous iteration, I suspect due to the thicker push-pull twin dynamic driver.
Both 31736 Knowles BA are again located in the nozzles, I find the sound more extended upwards but slightly less natural than the ones in MK1 regarding cymbals.
The cable is a 5N Furukawa copper cable with 2 huge copper strands for each side (monostrand, so they are quite thick). The exposed copper section with clear coating will probably become greenish with time and the kevlar sheath is quite loose. The translucent plastic connector are bulky and not bubble-free. Typically a 35$ cable, but still decent and typically bass-heavy due to the large copper strand diameter. A bit stiff however.

Given the smoother signature of these Cappuccinos MK2, a silver-plated copper cable is worth a try

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #645 of 1,255
In preparation of a Cappuccino review (2 versions for the price of one), a few close shots of the contenders.

Rose Cappucinos MK1 (2DD + 2BA):

Note that I asked for a MMCX version since they initially cabled the 2-pin wrongly.
Note the small tear shape that makes them VERY ergonomic for most ears.
No crossover, and note the 12mm dual dynamic driver taking most of the space (it is vented via a small hole).
Both 30017 Knowles BA are located right within the nozzle, which makes the treble and vocals forward, and the nozzle quite broad, perfect fir for JVC Spiral Dot tips.
Faceplates are nice and shiny black, but I would have preferred the shells slightly smoky to make small 3D-printing defects less visible.
The cable is pure copper nicely coated with golden-laced black rubber and a silicon coating. Connectors are black and small, the jack is very sturdy. No tangle, it's really a nice/handy cable.

Rose Cappuccinos MK2 (2DD + 2BA + decay switch):

Here the connectors are MMCX by default.
The shells are a nice opaque electric blue and the faceplates have a stony blue-purple-grey tinge, very classy without being too bling-bling.
The white decay switch is located on the top of the shell and recessed, so you need a small tool to activate it.
The shells are still tear-shaped but a bit deeper than the previous iteration, I suspect due to the thicker push-pull twin dynamic driver.
Both 31736 Knowles BA are again located in the nozzles, I find the sound more extended upwards but slightly less natural than the ones in MK1 regarding cymbals.
The cable is a 5N Furukawa copper cable with 2 huge copper strands for each side (monostrand, so they are quite thick). The exposed copper section with clear coating will probably become greenish with time and the kevlar sheath is quite loose. The translucent plastic connector are bulky and not bubble-free. Typically a 35$ cable, but still decent and typically bass-heavy due to the large copper strand diameter. A bit stiff however.

Given the smoother signature of these Cappuccinos MK2, a silver-plated copper cable is worth a try

I'm beyond excited for the rest of your review. I just ordered 3D7s from Penon, and I'm pretty much set on buying cappuccinos, but I have to decide which. Definitely staying tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back