Roon is live
Sep 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #556 of 701
Is your internet connection down frequently? I understand the ability to use Roon is lost when it happens, but if if connectivity loss is a problem, your ISP should address that.
My internet is up nearly constantly, but that is no excuse for axing basic functionality of a file server, which is to play back files on a local network. Roon used to work just fine as a local file server even if internet is down for up to 30 days, but with Roon 2.0, if your internet (or Roon's servers) go down at all, nothing will work.

Effectively, Roon has added always-online DRM to every single piece of music that I own. I find that unacceptable, especially when other cheaper competing services respect my music ownership.

Roon is a luxury, not a necessity, and they are charging a steep price. For that price, I expect Roon to be the best across the board. If I'm choosing to make a platform the backbone of my listening experience, why would I choose one that is fragile (Roon) over one like Plex, which can be guaranteed to play my entire music library 24/7 if my local network is up, regardless of whatever is going on with the outside internet? For $120 a year, this isn't something I should have to worry about at all!

Roon tried to sell this to people with the lie that always-online is necessary for ARC playback, but for years, Plex has let you stream your own files outside the home while being resilient enough to play back files locally if the internet is down. What's really crazy is if you try to tell people this on their forum, you will get your posts deleted immediately and your account silenced. Pointing out basic facts about their competition when customers are asking for solutions is considered "trolling" and "toxic," their words.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #557 of 701
Is your internet connection down frequently? I understand the ability to use Roon is lost when it happens, but if if connectivity loss is a problem, your ISP should address that.
You're blaming the ISP for being unable to play music you have at home? It's like having a CD player or LP turntable that becomes disabled when the internet goes down. Roon has become caught up with navel-gazing and forgotten that its core function is to play music.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #558 of 701
...navel-gazing...
LOL, had to look that up.

It is a little concerning that you need to "authenticate" every time you start Roon now.
Just tested it and Roon keeps playing when I disconnect the ethernet cable to the internet (not sure for how long), however, if you try to start Roon once the internet is down, it does not connect. I know for some that use Roon at their second home or, for one I know, at their cabin with no internet this is a show stopper.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #559 of 701
Just tested it and Roon keeps playing when I disconnect the ethernet cable to the internet (not sure for how long)
People on the Roon community forum have been trying it and got various times after disconnection (one of them stayed running 4 hours). Danny posted this:
This may be the 4th time I’ve said it: Zero minutes. You may find it to be longer, but different things will break at different and unpredictable times. You should not rely on 2.0 working without internet access. Use 1.8 Legacy if you need offline access.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #560 of 701
Well, duh...I feel pretty stupid. I was excited to upgrade to Roon 2.0. Downloaded it and replaced my 1.8 on my Mac Mini and then...BOOM.

My old Mac Mini is incompatible with 2.0 and I can't switch back to 1.8. Uggg...

UPDATE:
Ok, I installed 1.8 Legacy Core and it works (I had to install legacy 1.8 on my Roon Remote).

But I did purchace a Nucleus w/2GB...

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Well, this makes me laugh...I get a brand new 2 GB Roon Nucleus and when I try to add music, I get the 'FULL' message. I think Roon didn't install Roon Core properly in my Nucleus:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #561 of 701
Well, this makes me laugh...I get a brand new 2 GB Roon Nucleus and when I try to add music, I get the 'FULL' message. I think Roon didn't install Roon Core properly in my Nucleus:
Looks to me like they installed Roon on the wrong drive. The storage drive says 128GB and the Os drive says 1844 GB. Did you order a 2TB drive in your Ncleus? You said 2GB in your post....

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #562 of 701
Looks to me like they installed Roon on the wrong drive. The storage drive says 128GB and the Os drive says 1844 GB. Did you order a 2TB drive in your Ncleus? You said 2GB in your post....
Yah, I meant 2 TB. I guess Roon was so busy with getting out 2.0 that they rushed installing Roon Core properly...just makes me laugh.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #563 of 701
My internet is up nearly constantly, but that is no excuse for axing basic functionality of a file server, which is to play back files on a local network. Roon used to work just fine as a local file server even if internet is down for up to 30 days, but with Roon 2.0, if your internet (or Roon's servers) go down at all, nothing will work.

Effectively, Roon has added always-online DRM to every single piece of music that I own. I find that unacceptable, especially when other cheaper competing services respect my music ownership.

Roon is a luxury, not a necessity, and they are charging a steep price. For that price, I expect Roon to be the best across the board. If I'm choosing to make a platform the backbone of my listening experience, why would I choose one that is fragile (Roon) over one like Plex, which can be guaranteed to play my entire music library 24/7 if my local network is up, regardless of whatever is going on with the outside internet? For $120 a year, this isn't something I should have to worry about at all!

Roon tried to sell this to people with the lie that always-online is necessary for ARC playback, but for years, Plex has let you stream your own files outside the home while being resilient enough to play back files locally if the internet is down. What's really crazy is if you try to tell people this on their forum, you will get your posts deleted immediately and your account silenced. Pointing out basic facts about their competition when customers are asking for solutions is considered "trolling" and "toxic," their words.

Looks like Roon isn’t for you and Plex is. Nothing wrong with that. Software companies often deprecate features that a small percentage of their user base want in order to introduce features the majority of their users want.

I don’t agree that the requirement for internet connectivity is DRM. You can still play your local files with other software, so they aren’t doing anything to restrict access to your data.

Consistently talking about the superiority of another platform is going to get you banned or moderated in many company operate/advertising forums. Try making repeated negative comments on this site about a vendor who pays for advertising here and the same will happen.

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #564 of 701
You're blaming the ISP for being unable to play music you have at home? It's like having a CD player or LP turntable that becomes disabled when the internet goes down. Roon has become caught up with navel-gazing and forgotten that its core function is to play music.

I blame the ISP when the ISP’s internet connection goes down.

There’s a lot of drama here over something unlikely to actually happen. No one likes to features deprecated, but in the real world, developers have to focus on what the user community and market wants. Roon’s subscribers number one requested feature, by far, was mobile access.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #566 of 701
Wow in 2015 a promo of 399 lifetime which I signed for. Now 899. Any rate, amortize over a decade still a good deal, 2 decades and great.

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #567 of 701
I hope that roonlab can solve the problem of connecting to the roon core through the Internet without a public network ip.
Problem?
Either you use Roon ARC with a mobile device, since there is no ARC support in the desktop client yet.
But this requires you to open up an port on your firewall.
Or you use Tailscale/ZeroTier to do the same without opening a port and be able to use the desktop client.
I don't think that Roon gonna support STUN natively soon, so you need to rely on the mentioned methodes.

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #568 of 701
It's not a "problem" per se, but a design change they made intentionally to accommodate ARC and to address some issues they had with database (music metadata, discovery) stability. Not entirely sure about the second one but I read something from Danny, from Roon, talking about it. It was not clear to me what the issues were exactly but he was indicating that it would not be changing. Some of the post complaining about it and his responses have since been removed and it got pretty heated.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #569 of 701
I try roon for 3 month from now on - black friday deal.

however, i do have the wm1z and going to buy the wm1zm2, use qobuz and tidal, but listen 95% of the time my flac files on my microsd card.

i also have the naim mu so gen2 which is roon ready but also has qobuz integrated. so i already get the best sound quality there anyway.

i try to understand whether i miss something which would give me tremendous advantage when having roon with my setup.

any suggetions?

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #570 of 701
ended up picking up a lifetime license trying to get in before they raise the prices. I use it so much so very much worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back