Roon is live
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #527 of 701
Also if you are using Tidal or Qobuz, isn't this running it twice. First you have to access ARC to request track selection, Roon Core has to go out and pull in that track from the internet and then sent it back to ARC to be listened to. I would rather just use the Tidal / Qobuz app directly.

I don't see this enticing anyone to now buy Roon for $10 per month. Am I missing something?
Yeah to my ears, native Tidal app sounds better than Tidal thru ARC, which sounds compressed/thin.

The only benefit I see at the moment is acces to Roon's UI on the go and being able to favorite tracks and add songs to playlists on the go, which is something i've wanted to do as i devote majority of my listening time discovering new artists and songs.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #528 of 701
I would use the Roon Arc app only on the go and the regular remote app for home listening.
And just remember that ARC will use data on your phone rapidly if that is an issue for you.

BTW I have been listening to 2.0 for quite a while (early access beta testing) and did not notice a change in SQ. YMMV and all that. granted I am still on the early access version as they have not pushed out and update for me yet. Will be interesting to see if it changes... :sweat:

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #529 of 701
Well, I'm EFFING PSSD about 2.0.

Upgrade to 2.0, it said.

No prominent warnings or ReadMe about why you might not want to.

So I did.

And after Roon Core was upgraded to 2.0 was when I discovered that my normal PC-based Roon remote app is incompatible and not upgradeable.

Roon Core doesn't want to migrate back. (It's supposed to be able to.)

I do NOT like navigating around Roon on a tiny 3x6" screen. Totally ruins the experience.

Did I mention I'm PSSD? Yeah, I'm PSSD.

[/rant]

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #530 of 701

Upgrade to 2.0, it said.

So I did.

And after Roon Core was upgraded to 2.0 was when I discovered that my normal PC-based Roon remote app is incompatible and not upgradeable.

I do NOT like navigating around Roon on a tiny 3x6" screen. Totally ruins the experience.

[/rant]
I don't understand, why can't you also update your Roon remote app on your PC? What O/S are you running?

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #532 of 701
I don't understand, why can't you also update your Roon remote app on your PC? What O/S are you running?

Win 7 on my desktop. (I've tried to upgrade that a couple of times, without success. I don't want to wipe out all my installed programs, I have a bunch.)

I'm not miffed that I can't upgrade. That happens when one is running an old OS.

I'm miffed because Roon's ham-fisted change management process didn't give me ADVANCE NOTICE of possible problems. (And of course that I blithely said GO without digging deeply into "the footnotes" before doing it.)

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #533 of 701
I don't see the point of it. When I am out I have my DAP which has all the same albums that are in my computer in the house.
For me, the biggest thing is being able to listen to the playlists I have created in Roon on the go. They have a mix of Tidal, Qobuz, and local music - so it wasn't easy for me to recreate outside of the house. I think this was their most requested feature, so there's a lot of happy Roon users.

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #535 of 701
Great to read all this. I have a smallish library <10k tracks) and use Roon at home mostly for the DSP engine. I can stream my Tidal playlists but when I’m OTG I have a DAP with me that holds the whole library on a SD card, and I can play anything from the library or Tidal using USB Audio app. I have absolutely no use for Roon ARC or 2.0 OTG but don’t want to spoil my at-home listening experience so will monitor this thread and only upgrade to 2.x when it’s clear it’s working well (again) for home use. After all, I’ve shut down operating system and other automatic software upgrades on my Core (a dedicated MacBook Air early 2014) to avoid interruptions in Roon play, so I am happy to patiently watch and wait. Fortunately for me I was on the road when this all happened, so Roon at home on the Core should be unaffected (for now). Makes me think of Areni Agbanian’s song “Patience is more important now…”

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #536 of 701
Like any software release, people who need a guarantee of fully operational product in their environment or detailed information on potentialky impactful changes should not be day one installers.

Wait a while if you don’t absolutely need 2.0 and read the forums to get a feel for issues.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #537 of 701
For Android users, one thing to note is that the Roon ARC app requires Android 9 or later. So no go on the many DAPs that are on Oreo or earlier.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #538 of 701
antipodes audio and iPhone iPad all 2.0 and arc, no issues. no difference in sq i could tell.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #539 of 701
So playing arc from my iPhone to my Sony xg500. So iTunes has more competition, except if your not on the network.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #540 of 701
I would head over to the Roon forum and read the FAQs on 2.0 and ARC. There are some warnings about older MACs and PCs running older OSes.

Upgrade to 2.0, it said.

So I did.

[/rant]
Not sure if you saw this:
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022

edit: They are swamped with support issues now so expect delays... :deadhorse::beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back