Roon is live
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #541 of 701
First downside of 2.0 for me is the lack of an iPad native app. The iPhone app works, but only in portrait mode so not ideal and not as easy to use on an iPad as a native app would be,

Roon states a native iPad app will be available in the future..

Updates are now available for the native IOS apps (iphone and ipad) that work with a 2.0 core.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #542 of 701
The update and install process has been incredibly quick and easy for me.

Is there a way to bring up all the albums I own in Arc? I generally stream from Qobuz and only have a few of my own albums downloaded to plug gaps in the Qobuz catalogue. I'd like to download some music for offline listening and music from Qobuz can't be downloaded so it would be very helpful to see a list of albums that are available for download.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #543 of 701
I beleive roon arc is a shared network remote on iPhones and iPads and such. So it’s playing your download from the roon core, not the phone per se?

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #544 of 701
The update and install process has been incredibly quick and easy for me.

Is there a way to bring up all the albums I own in Arc? I generally stream from Qobuz and only have a few of my own albums downloaded to plug gaps in the Qobuz catalogue. I'd like to download some music for offline listening and music from Qobuz can't be downloaded so it would be very helpful to see a list of albums that are available for download.
What I did was made a tag for all my local files using my PC and regular roon remote (using focus to isolate all local files by storage location)
1663788882571.png
1663788912703.png

and then on my phone in ARC I filtered by the tag in the album list
1663789133350.png
1663789152316.png

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #545 of 701
I would head over to the Roon forum and read the FAQs on 2.0 and ARC. There are some warnings about older MACs and PCs running older OSes.
Not sure if you saw this:
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022
The update went fine for me, but...
I didn't know that the 2.0 FAQ existed. Was there a reference to it during the update process? All I remember was opening Roon and seeing something along the lines of "Roon 2.0 is here! Click to install".

I've been a software developer for a long time and I see this as a poorly executed rollout. The installer doesn't inform users about what will happen and risks. The installation process should start by checking the versions of customer devices and automatically pausing if it detects a potential problem. Roon also never seems to do staged rollouts (releasing to only a portion of customers at a time), which gives you a chance to watch for unforeseen problems and pause or stop the rollout to mitigate damage. It bit them badly when they did a release that was corrupting the databases of some customers. In this case, they would have learned that some customer systems were being made unusable and they could have done something as simple as directing customers to read the FAQ before installing.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #546 of 701
I think they only posted some FAQs at time of release.
But there were also some FAQs only accessible to those that were involved with the early access.
I agree some of the info could have been better communicated as to the drawbacks.

They did do a form of "staged roll out" with several early access phases that I am aware of.
It has been going on for a several months (at least that is how long I have been involved with it).
I know there were more involved with the early testing phases that happened quite a while ago, also.
There were a few hiccups but they worked through them.
By the number of posts I saw during the testing phase I was involved with, they had quite a few people testing for them from the Roon forums.
They were pretty active trying to correct the issues.
But as you know (as a software developer) you can't address every configuration or situation.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #547 of 701
Smooth as silk for me.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #548 of 701
Well, duh...I feel pretty stupid. I was excited to upgrade to Roon 2.0. Downloaded it and replaced my 1.8 on my Mac Mini and then...BOOM.

My old Mac Mini is incompatible with 2.0 and I can't switch back to 1.8. Uggg...

UPDATE:
Ok, I installed 1.8 Legacy Core and it works (I had to install legacy 1.8 on my Roon Remote).

But I did purchace a Nucleus w/2GB...

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #549 of 701
Sep 22, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #550 of 701
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #551 of 701
I recently had a really interesting experience with the Roon community forums that has really soured me on the company. I signed up to voice my displeasure at the new online-only requirement for basic service use, but I found that all of my posts were getting deleted, despite being well within TOS. What's really spicy is that my posts were getting deleted by the COO of Roon who admitted to making that decision, and now my account is restricted.

He's also taken to locking votes on the feature request. There's no way to actually call out what is going on there without getting banned or deleted. All the while, the same guy is claiming that very few people are bothered at all!

There are plenty of posts on there of people confused why Roon turned into an always-online service in order to enable ARC. If you tell these customers the simple fact that Plex has been able to do local network playback as well as streaming on-the-go for years, your comment WILL get flagged or you will get banned.

EDIT: If you try to help people by suggesting they use Plex or a free uPNP-based solution for a local solution, your account will get flagged for "trolling, griefing, and axe-grinding."

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #552 of 701
Plex is the Roon for movies, at least for me. They've nailed the local and on-the-go solution and have offered that for years now. Roon is just now catching up with that.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #553 of 701
Plex is the Roon for movies, at least for me. They've nailed the local and on-the-go solution and have offered that for years now. Roon is just now catching up with that.
Totally agree!

I thought Roon was well on that path as well, until they removed the ability to play back files on your local network if the internet is down. Plex now has a significant advantage to me as a result of that, and I want Roon to do better, but they really don't want to hear it. A big shame, because I really liked Roon, but you can't go around shooting the messenger like this.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #554 of 701
Totally agree!

I thought Roon was well on that path as well, until they removed the ability to play back files on your local network if the internet is down. Plex now has a significant advantage to me as a result of that, and I want Roon to do better, but they really don't want to hear it. A big shame, because I really liked Roon, but you can't go around shooting the messenger like this.

Is your internet connection down frequently? I understand the ability to use Roon is lost when it happens, but if if connectivity loss is a problem, your ISP should address that.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #555 of 701
ISP is down? Throw in power outage as well. Armageddon won’t be good for audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back