Roon is live
Feb 10, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #391 of 701
I hate the new UI, also the settings menu shows only the general tab, all other are not visible.
But you can still make setting changes via the App.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #392 of 701
Hey! Im interested in Roon, but i cant quite understand how it works/what i need of equipment even when reading on their website.

I want to use Roon with my Tidal subscription. 99% of my music is from streaming services. I have a laptop, tablet and LG V40 Quad dac phone with MQA. I have not yet bought any desktop dacs/amps since i use my V40. I also have sold off most of my headphones anf moved into high end IEMs since it suits me better per now.

I simply just want to use Roon with Tidal instead of f.ex using My V40 with UAPP. UAPPs way of recommending similiar artists/album is sadly horrible and clunky:frowning2:.Roon seems to he excellent to suggests and find similiar artists/ albums to what you listen to and like. And that is something i preciate highly cause of my wierd musictaste. Also the bio about musicians etc is very neat.

What equipment do i need? Can i simply use my laptop as a Rooncore and use my LG40 as controller? Will V40 decode MQA with Roon?

Whats the most affordable solution for me?

Thanks

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #395 of 701
Hey! Im interested in Roon, but i cant quite understand how it works/what i need of equipment even when reading on their website.

I want to use Roon with my Tidal subscription. 99% of my music is from streaming services. I have a laptop, tablet and LG V40 Quad dac phone with MQA. I have not yet bought any desktop dacs/amps since i use my V40. I also have sold off most of my headphones anf moved into high end IEMs since it suits me better per now.

I simply just want to use Roon with Tidal instead of f.ex using My V40 with UAPP. UAPPs way of recommending similiar artists/album is sadly horrible and clunky:frowning2:.Roon seems to he excellent to suggests and find similiar artists/ albums to what you listen to and like. And that is something i preciate highly cause of my wierd musictaste. Also the bio about musicians etc is very neat.

What equipment do i need? Can i simply use my laptop as a Rooncore and use my LG40 as controller? Will V40 decode MQA with Roon?

Whats the most affordable solution for me?

Thanks

You probably won’t want to use Roon on an Android mobile device. The Roon app on Android forces everything to 16/44.1k. I was hoping the latest update would fix it, but alas...

Also, Roon only works while connected to the local LAN, there is no ‘offline’ listening. This feature has been long asked for by Roon but as yet not delivered.

Having said that - yes, you would set up the Roon Core on your laptop and use your mobile and/or tablet as endpoints and/or remotes.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #396 of 701
Anyone else as irked as I am about what they've done to tags with v1.8?

Tags are no longer displayed under each track in the album view. And when you add a track to a tag, the "Add to tag" dialog no longer shows checkboxes telling you what tags have already been selected and gives you no way un de-selecting tags through this dialog (And as an aside what's up with that formulation, "Add to tag"? Very counter-intuitive way out putting it, since you'd naturally think of the operation as one where you're adding tags to a track, not the other way around, but anyway).

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's spent way too much time tagging tracks in their library, only to find them rendered useless (or at best, just much, much less useful) with this new version 1.8.

There's some ire being expressed in the Roon forum but no useful responses from the management as of yet. Though one admin did chime in to claim that it's not possible to revert back to v1.7 (great!). Looks like I'll have to start following that forum to see if anything may be done about this issue, since to me this is very, very close to a dealbreaker. I couldn't give a care about the big UI "reskin" when at the same time, they've taken away essential functionality.

Alright, rant over for now, I guess.

UPDATE ~2/14: CTO dude says fixing this gross misjudgment is now a top priority. See here.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #397 of 701
They have updated the installer, it's the same build number but fixed.
Just install it over the current installation and the settings and some other things should work again.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #398 of 701
Initially I wasn't super thrilled with the new UI, but with more use it is growing on me. v1.8 (build 756)

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #399 of 701
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #401 of 701
Unless you’re using native Roon DSP, I don’t see any claims of improved SQ in the section you quoted. Improved cpu and memory efficiency won’t alter sound quality.

Less CPU overhead definitely can translate to better SQ. This is the whole reason people often run Roon on dedicated slim servers, etc.

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #402 of 701
Less CPU overhead definitely can translate to better SQ. This is the whole reason people often run Roon on dedicated slim servers, etc.
Unless, you’re CPU constrained, which won’t happen on any reasonably configured PC, you are wrong. Though I anticipate you’ll have a reason straight out of someone’s marketing literature. People do all kind of misguided things like running server OS, audio OS “tuning” software, etc. - just because “people do things” doesn’t validate those things.

There’s a reason Roon used the word “efficiency” and not “improvement”. If the vendor isn’t claiming SQ improvements...

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #403 of 701
Unless, you’re CPU constrained, which won’t happen on any reasonably configured PC, you are wrong. Though I anticipate you’ll have a reason straight out of someone’s marketing literature. People do all kind of misguided things like running server OS, audio OS “tuning” software, etc. - just because “people do things” doesn’t validate those things.

There’s a reason Roon used the word “efficiency” and not “improvement”. If the vendor isn’t claiming SQ improvements...

Not sure what else to tell you other than, you're wrong.

Roon themselves even publish a help page on the topic in which one of their recommendations is to monitor CPU usage:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/sound-quality-in-one-computer

Feb 21, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #404 of 701
Not sure what else to tell you other than, you're wrong.

Roon themselves even publish a help page on the topic in which one of their recommendations is to monitor CPU usage:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/sound-quality-in-one-computer

As I stated and as the link in the article you posted confirms, unless you’re CPU is constrained, there is no issue. if you know of a specific technical reason that Roon’s improved efficiency would improve SQ on a non constrained CPU would, I’d very much like to discuss it.

Roon isn’t claiming improvement in SQ, so...

Feb 22, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #405 of 701
Roon isn’t claiming improvement in SQ, so...

They can't, even if there is. Because that would imply there was some SQ deficiency with prior versions. It's all about PR. Reading between the lines of the wording on the new release notes it's pretty clear they think SQ improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back