Roon is live
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #421 of 701
My job is about 350 miles away from my house so I have an apartment and a house, a two channel system in one location and a headphone system in another location. I'm thinking about adding an Innuos Zenith mk3 to one location and will continue to use my Macbook in the other. In the location with the Innuos server/streamer, that device would be the core and I'd be using the Macbook as the controller, in the other location the Macbook would be the core. The Roon license is tied to an account, so they do support a user having two different cores, it is just that you can only sign in and use one core at a time. The trickier part is managing the database across both pieces of hardware.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #422 of 701
When you say dedicated streaming device if you mean a dedicated Roon core I believe you can only have one core active with a Roon subscription. You only need one core and everything else acts as a remote controller. You can have your core machine off in a closet somewhere and your Mac would act as a controller connected to your core via your home network. Essentially your Mac becomes a control point for your core, along with any phones to tablets you're running. You'll be able to play to anything connected to your Mac just as before. This is the exact setup I have. My core is installed in a NUC out in my hallway and my Mac mini, iPad and iPhone service as remote controllers and endpoints. It all works flawlessly.
Actually I think OceanRanger has it right... in other words what he wants is to use Roon at two different properties (i.e. home and vacation home for example). As long as you are only logged in to one core at a time it is my understanding that you can do this with just one subscription.

Not that what you are saying is incorrect, it just seems as though you may have misunderstood what OceanRanger was describing...

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #424 of 701
My job is about 350 miles away from my house so I have an apartment and a house, a two channel system in one location and a headphone system in another location. I'm thinking about adding an Innuos Zenith mk3 to one location and will continue to use my Macbook in the other. In the location with the Innuos server/streamer, that device would be the core and I'd be using the Macbook as the controller, in the other location the Macbook would be the core. The Roon license is tied to an account, so they do support a user having two different cores, it is just that you can only sign in and use one core at a time. The trickier part is managing the database across both pieces of hardware.
Got it. Sorry I misread your post.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #425 of 701
Looks like OceanRanger beat me to it... lol. I will butt out now.
Thanks @fordski and @BadgerRivFan . I should have been more clear in my original post. I am trying to decide if improvements in sound quality at one spot will be worth the cost to buy and effort to sync two cores.

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #426 of 701
Anyone having an issue launching Roon?
When I launch the app (multiple times) I only get the speaker icon and it will not proceed to my player.
Cleared my privacy & history shut down, started up and did a P-RAM reset to no avail.
Using MacBook Pro 10.15.7 ( latest update for my mid-2013). I'm also using an ultraRendu via Ethernet connection which shown I'm using Roon IP address. Any advice would be appreciated. Figured I'd ask here first, but in the meantime I'll head over to Roon Labs site and read if there are any issues.
Thanks

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #429 of 701
I too am on 1.8 build 764 and am not having issues. That said, I'm running Big Sur 11.2.2 on my MacBook.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #430 of 701
Thank you for your reply as well.
I've been running the most current versions of both, my MBP & Roon since they were available without any issue whatsoever.
Just tonight, all of the sudden I can't open the Roon app. I've found someone with the same issue running Windows 10 on Roon Labs Support and replied about my issue as well so I'll just wait for a response. Thanks again to both of you, I appreciate it.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #431 of 701
Happy to help. Roon support has been pretty responsive for me as well. I had an issue with 763, but it seemed to be DAC related.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #432 of 701
Didn't really want to do a backup of my Roon folder thinking there was just a glitch with the app, but on the advice of a Roon Labs member I went ahead and did so from a backup I had on an SSD being I was still having an issue launching the Roon app all day today. Sure enough my issue launching Roon is resolved after the restoring the Roon folder. Thanks to all who suggested remedies, I appreciate it.

PS: @OceanRanger
How did your DAC relate to an issue with launching Roon?

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #433 of 701
Didn't really want to do a backup of my Roon folder thinking there was just a glitch with the app, but on the advice of a Roon Labs member I went ahead and did so from a backup I had on an SSD being I was still having an issue launching the Roon app all day today. Sure enough my issue launching Roon is resolved after the restoring the Roon folder. Thanks to all who suggested remedies, I appreciate it.

PS: @OceanRanger
How did your DAC relate to an issue with launching Roon?
My issue was brief intermittent dropouts with 763 when playing via usb to a Hugo2, not launching Roon. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back