Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Oct 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #256 of 3,218
Nice cases and even nicer prices. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #257 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would be the case for XLR connectors?
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=368
those are the ones im planning to use. i cant seem to digup info on whether the signal is isolated or not in those

If you don't have the XLR's already I can't see any way of telling you with 100% certainty that they don't carry ground on their casing, but usually XLR's don't. Most often they have tab that can be used to ground the jack to the case if that's what you want to do. The Vampires that you linked to appear to have some sort of ground tab (the silver tab on the right connector) so it would be my guess that the 3 other contacts are isolated.

And I'm glad that the fuse position was the answer.

MrMajestic2, I guess you're somewhat lucky that your shipping for the cases will only be € 30,00, for those of us in the US we're looking at more than double that amount. It makes using those chassis simply not an option which is a shame.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #258 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrMajestic2, I guess you're somewhat lucky that your shipping for the cases will only be € 30,00, for those of us in the US we're looking at more than double that amount. It makes using those chassis simply not an option which is a shame.

Yeah, for once we in europe are better off
wink.gif
Im fortunate enough to have a few friends who also buys the same cases so we can share shipping. Its almost like stealing
smily_headphones1.gif
I have 8 Galaxy cases already and more on the way.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #259 of 3,218
well, everything seems OK so far. ive got everything wired and was just running through some of the final tests when i ran into a bit of a problem. on all 4 boards, i can get R9 (and co) to rest at about 4.5V after heating up. i can also keep R34 and 35 at a pretty constant 75mV, all consistently staying within the range of 74-76mV. now, on 3 of my boards (L+,L-,R-) i can get the dc offset to just about 0.0mV, maybe 0.2 at max on either side of 0. however the 3rd board, my R+ board has a way higher offset than the others. with VR3 all the way counterclockwise it still only drops my offset to about 31mV. all the way the other way brings it way up to about 150 or so. is this a scenario where i would want to try swapping Q1 and Q2? or is there something else i should try first!

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #261 of 3,218
I've been out of the DIY game for some time now, but I've been lurking and eyeing the Beta22 project with great interest.

I must say that of all the project's features, the ε22 backplane board is the single simple feature that really makes the Beta22 stand out. Such a neat package.

Bravo.

-Ed

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #263 of 3,218
ALRIGHT, in BUSINESS! swapped Q1 and Q2 on my "problem board", and bingo, 0 mV dc offset. i can get it down to a steady +/-0.2-0.3mV for all 4 boards, is that within acceptable limits? what is considered "dangerous"? sounds DAMN great on my balanced 650s so fAR!!! one problem, it seems i wired my potentiometer backwards! im using an alps quad pot and i wired it as shown on AMBs site, with the axle facing towards you, all 12 lugs upwards, i have my grounds on the left, middle is going TO the boards, and the right is coming from the inputs. problem is counterclockwise all the way is MAX, and clockwise all the way is off or minimum! obviously ive just gotten something totally backwards, which do i need to swap?? leave the ground and swap the other two so that the "right" side lugs are all going to my boards?

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #264 of 3,218
Quote:

ALRIGHT, in BUSINESS! swapped Q1 and Q2 on my "problem board", and bingo, 0 mV dc offset. i can get it down to a steady +/-0.2-0.3mV for all 4 boards, is that within acceptable limits? what is considered "dangerous"? sounds DAMN great on my balanced 650s so fAR!!! one problem, it seems i wired my potentiometer backwards! im using an alps quad pot and i wired it as shown on AMBs site, with the axle facing towards you, all 12 lugs upwards, i have my grounds on the left, middle is going TO the boards, and the right is coming from the inputs. problem is counterclockwise all the way is MAX, and clockwise all the way is off or minimum! obviously ive just gotten something totally backwards, which do i need to swap?? leave the ground and swap the other two so that the "right" side lugs are all going to my boards?

Actually that diagram is a bird's eye view showing you the pins "through" the potentiometer....you've just got the wires reversed.

Hold the pot with the pins down and rewire according to the picture and you'll be fine.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #265 of 3,218
ah ok, so my middle ones are fine, but my ground and wires coming from inputs need to be flipped?

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #267 of 3,218
Yay, got my kits from JRossel and the cases from modushop today. I have some serious construction ahead of me, but it will be worth it I hope.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #268 of 3,218
@ mr majestic. took me longer than expected to get mine going, but maaaan it was worth it!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
sounds GREAT

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #269 of 3,218
Quote:

@ mr majestic. took me longer than expected to get mine going, but maaaan it was worth it!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
sounds GREAT

Yeah, its a lot of pcbs and components, but I like the challenge
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #270 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean you are going to build one Ed?
tongue.gif

Since I have not finished my DynaMid, that would be a "no" until I finish that one.

I may have enough spare time during the holidays to do so....
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back