Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Oct 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #227 of 3,218
I know Nate has a few, but I'm not sure if he's implemented one into an amp yet?
The only feedback I've seen thus far is from luvdunhill, and it was very possitive.

Let us know what you think Steve.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #228 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Nate has a few, but I'm not sure if he's implemented one into an amp yet?
The only feedback I've seen thus far is from luvdunhill, and it was very possitive.

Let us know what you think Steve.

Actually Nate's are about to be implemented by me
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #229 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a bummer
frown.gif
I thought I remembered seeing some cheap kit with a switch and resistor pack, but I suppose it must have been a dual one. Have you used the Alps quad pot? Any problems with quality?

About the quality of the Alps quad potentiometer, it's actually the same as the well known stereo Blue Velvet but with 4 channels. I'm using this one on my build... typical Alps, very good for the price
cool.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #230 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Nate's are about to be implemented by me
wink.gif

Shhhh, you're supposed to keep our back room parts exchanges private! Geez, I guess you can't trust a penguin, can you?
icon10.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #232 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm working on getting a JT up and running...another day or so.

yeah, that's about right... I was surprised how long it took to build. Don't forget to put the 1n914 diodes on the back of the board after the relays
blink.gif
Looks like I'm going to be able to get those KOA for audio SMD resistors as well (well, I ordered the first 10 values I needed already... maxed out the sample form... in a bit I'll need to place an order for the rest!), so I'll have a a Dale TH and KOA SMD version to compare =) I'm betting you won't go back after listening to it
eek.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #233 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shhhh, you're supposed to keep our back room parts exchanges private! Geez, I guess you can't trust a penguin, can you?
icon10.gif

D'oh, I guess I shouldn't mention the ****** ****** DIY ******* you ****** the other day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that's about right... I was surprised how long it took to build. Don't forget to put the 1n914 diodes on the back of the board after the relays
blink.gif
Looks like I'm going to be able to get those KOA for audio SMD resistors as well (well, I ordered the first 10 values I needed already... maxed out the sample form... in a bit I'll need to place an order for the rest!), so I'll have a a Dale TH and KOA SMD version to compare =) I'm betting you won't go back after listening to it
eek.gif

These were prebuilt...just got tired last night and couldn't finish the casing up part.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #234 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He can't help it Nate! The name Steve means blabbermouth in some early Saxon tongue. I'm living proof!
tongue.gif

Wait till he blabs about the other little thing that he picked up the other day...

And I'm still considering using the JT's on my beta. That project has been back-burnered until I can get a bunch of other things done. Hopefully this winter.
plainface.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #235 of 3,218
While waiting for my 4-channel kit to arrive, Im having plenty of ideas on the construction
smily_headphones1.gif
So here is one question:
Is anyone building the 4-channel version with some kind of converter from SE to Balanced input? Would be nice to be able to just plug in an SE source and get balanced out. I know it can be wired to accept SE input as two separate SE amps, but thats not what Im after.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #236 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be nice to be able to just plug in an SE source and get balanced out. I know it can be wired to accept SE input as two separate SE amps, but thats not what Im after.

Look at the DRV134 chip from TI, and the example circuit in the datasheet.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #238 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I currently suck at Eagle, I found this board instead:
http://assemblycraft.com/bld.htm

You know what I'm pretty sure I have a couple of those boards, guess it's time to dig through parts box. They might come in handy for my balanced beta.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #239 of 3,218
Just say no to chip balancing. If you're spending time and money building a great amp, do you really want to cripple the unbalanced inputs? Check out cinemag balancing transformers. You should be able to get a pair for under $150 shipped, and you'll be MUCH happier with the results.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #240 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just say no to chip balancing. If you're spending time and money building a great amp, do you really want to cripple the unbalanced inputs? Check out cinemag balancing transformers. You should be able to get a pair for under $150 shipped, and you'll be MUCH happier with the results.

I will be running my amp mostly from balanced inputs, but would like a fairly cheap option of unbalanced input and balanced output. $150 for a pair just isnt an option at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back