Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,022 of 3,218
Hi amb,

it suddenly occurred to me when I arrived at work today that the inputs might be reversed as the boards were constructed slightly differently regarding the input mounts, one above board and one below and in my foggy late night work session it never crossed my mind that hooking the connector in the same orientation on both boards would result in reversal on one.
redface.gif
Amazing what obvious stuff a tired mind misses.

I won't be able to test until tonight when I get home but I think that is indeed the problem. If so I'll be ecstatic.

In answer to your questions, the hiss is volume dependent, if the volume is all the way up you can faintly hear the signal coming through almost like crosstalk. Swapping inputs made no difference as I was still plugging the thing in the wrong way (plug mates to socket one way) so again, me being an idiot and missing the blatantly obvious. I'll let you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try reversing the left and right cable hookups from your source. Does the problem stay on the same side or does it switch sides too? If the latter than the source or cable is the problem. If it stays on the same side, then inspect your wiring very carefully to make sure it's all correct.

Is the hiss affected by the volume control? Does it hiss when the volume is turned full-off?

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #1,023 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by zare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is true, but by also depends if you are using 50Hz equipment on 60Hz line or the other way. 60Hz transformer on 50Hz line will make 17-20% V increase. In some cases that can make transformer cores saturated in the no load scenario. Well, I'll check the papers that came with the transformers and get that clarified.

Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

For the benefit of others watching this, my dilemma is that I am in Canada now so would ideally have a transformer for 115V at 60Hz. But I will want to take my gear back to Australia with me in a couple of years time, so will want these transformers to also run at 230V 50Hz.

It is my understanding that 2 x 115V primaries designed to run at 50Hz is the best semi-universal solution, without the transformer getting really huge and having a stupid number of taps on the primary. But for an investment like this, I want to get it right!
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #1,024 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

For the benefit of others watching this, my dilemma is that I am in Canada now so would ideally have a transformer for 115V at 60Hz. But I will want to take my gear back to Australia with me in a couple of years time, so will want these transformers to also run at 230V 50Hz.

It is my understanding that 2 x 115V primaries designed to run at 50Hz is the best semi-universal solution, without the transformer getting really huge and having a stupid number of taps on the primary. But for an investment like this, I want to get it right!
wink.gif

I don't know how much it would cost or if it's available, but can you get a single transformer that has multiple sets of wires coming out? ie you connect it to the boards for 115v here and switch it to 250v when you get down under.

I'm still not an electronics expert by any means, so maybe you can't do that with a transformer. From what I recall studying how they worked, it seems like you should be able to do it.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #1,025 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how much it would cost or if it's available, but can you get a single transformer that has multiple sets of wires coming out? ie you connect it to the boards for 115v here and switch it to 250v when you get down under.

Well yes, that is what the 2 x 115 primaries gives you. Connect them in parallel when you are on 115V supply, and in series when you are on 230V supply. This is pretty standard,

But frequency complicates things, and I don't completely understand it yet.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #1,027 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, finally we have a working Beta 22!!!

Thanks to everyone for their time, patience, generosity and knowledge, without all the help I received I would never have this working, and working gloriously I might add. Holy crap this is good.

Thank you all.

Yay, Smeggy!
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #1,031 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, finally we have a working Beta 22!!!

Thanks to everyone for their time, patience, generosity and knowledge, without all the help I received I would never have this working, and working gloriously I might add. Holy crap this is good.

Thank you all.

Well done mate!

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #1,034 of 3,218
smeggy,
congrats, you needed and deserved this after the problems you've had. well deserved.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,035 of 3,218
awesome smeggy good job, and now you can rock those custom fostex with it
biggrin.gif

PLEASE post pics
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back