Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Aug 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #646 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend drilling and tapping. Make sure you using tapping oil for the drilling and tapping. I also suggest a quality spiral tap.

Can you elaborate on this? I've snapped a few taps while tapping mosfet sinks. I thought they were just cheap taps.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #647 of 3,218
You want to use a lubricant when drill the hole and tapping it. Helps to keep the tap from binding. Also using a spiral fluted tap will do a better job of cutting and removing material, especially on soft aluminum. I get my bits from McMaster-Carr.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #648 of 3,218
Quote:

You want to use a lubricant when drill the hole and tapping it. Helps to keep the tap from binding. Also using a spiral fluted tap will do a better job of cutting and removing material, especially on soft aluminum. I get my bits from McMaster-Carr.

Would it be disasterous if i were to just simplly drill the sinmks and bolt them through? I guess the tapping will just ensure better a joint. Is that the only reason for doing it?

I'll be tapping them anyway. Just wondered.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #649 of 3,218
It's really just personal preference. I like doing it because it's a lot easier to remove and install the screws. Also one less piece of hardware required. You could pretty much use any method as long as it securely mounts the part and isolates it electrically.

Edit: Also keep in mind those a large heavy sinks and they should also be secured to the chassis, especially if you ever think the amp will be shipped or moved.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #650 of 3,218
Quote:

It's really just personal preference. I like doing it because it's a lot easier to remove and install the screws. Also one less piece of hardware required. You could pretty much use any method as long as it securely mounts the part and isolates it electrically.

Edit: Also keep in mind those a large heavy sinks and they should also be secured to the chassis, especially if you ever think the amp will be shipped or moved.

How did you end up secruing them to the chassis? Could you put some sort of board munt unter the sink and bolt though the mosfet-throught the sink-through the board mount- to the chassis underneath? Would that be OK?

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #654 of 3,218
I just completed my ß22 last night. The electronics have been up and running for months but it was housed in a discarded video card box. I decided that I wanted to DIY the chassis and also to use gold-plated hardware to go for that 'Hi Fi' (expensive) look. I still have some finishing and touch-up to do, but I'm already very happy with how it came out.

Beta22037.jpg

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #655 of 3,218
MoodySteve;4577041 said:
I just completed my ß22 last night. The electronics have been up and running for months but it was housed in a discarded video card box. I decided that I wanted to DIY the chassis and also to use gold-plated hardware to go for that 'Hi Fi' (expensive) look. I still have some finishing and touch-up to do, but I'm already very happy with how it came out.
Cool, id like to see some other pics of the front, etc...

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #656 of 3,218
Quote:

I have the heat sinks against the bottom of the case. So I just use a screw from the bottom of the case to hold the heat sink to the case.

Ok fair enough. Oh does it matter which side is facing upwards? Theres two sides, one shiny one rough. Which does the mosfet go against, or does it not matter?

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #657 of 3,218
Thanks for your feedback! I don't have what I consider to be a good picture of the front or of the unit with the cover on; I'll take those when I'm done with the front panel (I want a mirror finish). But for a good idea....
Beta22030.jpg

Beta22016.jpg

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #658 of 3,218
I love the black/gold scheme. Very nice! Would you mind telling me what push-button that is? I've seen it used in a couple other builds here, but I'm trying to find one for my ppa build.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #659 of 3,218
Thanks!!! The push-button was definitely the hardest part to source. After searching high and low and subsequently discovering that nobody makes a general gold push-button, I had to resort to looking at doorbells. I ended up getting that doorbell from Ace Hardware online. An alternative that I found but didn't buy was a 'french gold' air switch for an Insinkerator at BuyPlumbing.net. It uses AMB's ε24 circuit since the doorbell is momentary.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #660 of 3,218
So, I'm getting a balanced β22 with dual σ22 & ε12.

What would be the best gain for me? 5? I'm including speaker outputs and my headphones are HD650 and D2000.

I'm also getting a balanced/unbalanced switch. Initial idea is to use TPA IVY and OTTO. Is this a good way to implement it?

My main source will be Buffalo DAC once I get it finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back