Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Aug 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #676 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp runs hotter than the amp.

I'm curious as to how that works
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #677 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to how that works
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

I meant the amp runs hotter than the psu. Im tired, give me a break
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #678 of 3,218
Some great β22 builds in here!
Keep them coming, and make me jealous (until I get my own)...
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #679 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial idea is to use 2 X Hi-Fi 2000 Slim Line 2U case with the optional aluminium covers for my balanced b22 and dual power supply's. Will there be enough cooling or should I go for vented covers?

Aluminium cover:
coperchioalluminio280mm_0001.jpg

there's some nice perforated aluminum for sale on Ebay that is reasonably cheap. I'd recommend trying that.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #680 of 3,218
My revised Beta22. I pulled the power supply out of the main chassis due to a hum issue. AMB's remote power circuit got thrown in as well as a Joshua Tree attenuator.

Power supply internals, everything barely fits:
309570957_TAWzn-M.jpg

Power supply with umbilical:
353190444_CJ3DS-M.jpg

Rebuilt Beta22 with Joshua Tree attenuator:
353187969_SJpvq-M.jpg

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #682 of 3,218
Hi All, I'm considering the balanced b22 FS here at the moment and figure this as good a place as any to ask:

Is it possible to just mount a pair of RCAs in the back panel, wire them to the XLRs internally, and bingo bango, I've got SE inputs?

This would be the same result as just using RCA to XLR cables.

Something tells me there's more to it than that, involving transformers and such shenanigans.

If I do end up with a b22 I will certainly read every word at headwize, but don't have the spare month at the moment (slow reader too)
smily_headphones1.gif

I did search and google, but came up empty.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #684 of 3,218
Thanks Ferrari, I have read that bit and the other ones there, but wasn't sure if I can use RCA inputs to drive balanced headphones. Still not.

I know, I know, look harder!

I know I should but it's 2:30 am and this is the first chance I've had to even ask the question, never mind look for the answer!

I promise to set aside time to read more before asking more stupid questions, I know how irritating that is.

I'll be back with some intelligent ones hopefully!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks anyway,

Steve

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #685 of 3,218
Short answer, no it's not that simple. The balanced inputs contain three separate connections each, the single-ended inputs have only 2 of the 3. There is no way, without circuitry, to convert that single-ended signal to balanced.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #686 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power supply internals, everything barely fits:

If I may make a suggestion, I would find a way to add some sort of strain relief to your umbilical cord. Right now it appears as if all the force would be directly applied to the connection at the sigma22. Otherwise, nice clean build you got there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #687 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short answer, no it's not that simple. The balanced inputs contain three separate connections each, the single-ended inputs have only 2 of the 3. There is no way, without circuitry, to convert that single-ended signal to balanced.

Thank you Nate, that's perfect.

I assumed that the 3rd pin on an XLR was just for shielding and the + and - were the same as in SE apart from the shared - for SE, and the - for balanced being the inverse of the + instead of just ground.

Clearly I need far more education.

I shall look into this circuitry of which you speak next week and reconsider buying that amp FS.

Thanks,

Steve

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #688 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I assumed that the 3rd pin on an XLR was just for shielding and the + and - were the same as in SE apart from the shared - for SE, and the - for balanced being the inverse of the + instead of just ground.

In SE there is the + and a ground. Balanced is + and - with most usually having a ground for shielding.

Why not just purchase a balanced source?

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #689 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I may make a suggestion, I would find a way to add some sort of strain relief to your umbilical cord. Right now it appears as if all the force would be directly applied to the connection at the sigma22. Otherwise, nice clean build you got there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I couldn't find a suitable strain relief of the right size (I spent several hours hunting online), so I have to settle for just a rubber grommet. Since the power supply will rarely ever get moved, it'll have to do.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #690 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In SE there is the + and a ground. Balanced is + and - with most usually having a ground for shielding.

Why not just purchase a balanced source?

Hi Naamanf,

The way I understood it was that SE just has teh signal on the + side and - is all referenced to ground, but with balanced if you have a signal of +1V on the positive, there is the same signal but -1V on the negative?

I want to use my turntable as source mainly and did google balanced phono stages but $$$...

Also would be nice to use my imod or even laptop and Pico as a source. I plan on an RWA Isabella as my next source, from a laptop, and that's not balanced either.

Id there much sonic advantage to sorting out the transformers to turn an SE source into balanced, thus using all 4 boards? I suspect it might be better just to do a 2 board b22?

Clearly I'm not ready to build anything although I can solder well. If I took the time to read enough I know I can build one but I just don't have time. Shouldn't be here now.

Thanks again,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back