Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #4,262 of 4,743

Identify the sound signature you want, research thoroughly and then buy. You'll be fine.

Yes I second this too; this was how we used to buy stuff before folks like headphone zone came along. Thorough research and reading online should definitely bear fruit.

That's exactly what i have been doing so far. But i do feel the option for auditioning expensive gear should be available sooner than later. Just like home hi-fi system, portable gear should also have this option available is what i am saying.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,263 of 4,743

Identify the sound signature you want, research thoroughly and then buy. You'll be fine.

Yes I second this too; this was how we used to buy stuff before folks like headphone zone came along. Thorough research and reading online should definitely bear fruit.

That's exactly what i have been doing so far. But i do feel the option for auditioning expensive gear should be available sooner than later. Just like home hi-fi system, portable gear should also have this option available is what i am saying.

I am hard pressed to find IEMs to audition here in the United States except during expos so I doubt we'll be seeing IEM audition shops in India for a loooooong time.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #4,265 of 4,743
Great price for the Mojo. Like you said it's quite hard to beat under 50K. At 50K however there a full fledged DAPS that compete with or perform better (matter of preference) than the Mojo. Really want to own it again but waiting to see what the Unique Melody ME1 will sound like. Allowing myself only one significant audio purchase in 2017!

The DAPs I like better than the Mojo are the QP1R, AK240/380 and LPG. The Mojo is great companion to these though, it's more musical and with a bit of treble roll off it isn't as brutal on older recordings.

By any chance you got a hands on with the Pono player?

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #4,266 of 4,743

I am hard pressed to find IEMs to audition here in the United States except during expos so I doubt we'll be seeing IEM audition shops in India for a loooooong time.

The simple reason for unavailability of audition gear IMO is that portable audio hasn't gotten that much of a 'public' following here in India(barring a few of us who have attended meets like Headphone Connect, or conducted mini meets of our own), to be considered 'worth' providing demo sessions at stores.

Although on the bright side a few retailers are nowadays providing gear to demo at many stores and kiosks, namely Croma, Sennheiser, Skullcandy (ugh) to name a few that I've seen offering demos of their products.

I sincerely hope we see this trend continue to rise, thanks to better smartphone audio and compatibility with 'lossless' and other high quality music, so that the portable audio scene gains its popularity, and we gain access to limitless auditions.

Cheers to that, and happy listening!

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,267 of 4,743
  By any chance you got a hands on with the Pono player?

Very very briefly, battery ran out about 2 minutes after I got a chance to try it.The owner said it sounded great, especially balanced. He was however selling it citing very poor battery life and the odd shape which made it quite pocket unfriendly. I don't think any stores carry it here, not sure if they have dealer network at all. 

People on the lookout for a DAP should wait and see if the old Opus #1 prices drop. Though a bit old now it's a really nice DAP even at full retail price and a steal at some of the second hand prices I've seen locally. 

Picked up the S8+ this morning and I'm hoping it sounds good, been using the Cozoy Aegis with the S6 which was my phone for the last 2 years but really don't like pairing anything with my phone while travelling. Had a chance to to audition some gear today since the mall which was my pickup location for the phone houses a audio store. Tried out the Unique Melody Maestro V2 and the Kaiser Encore, the Encore was quite nice, it's easy to drive and while not the most exciting IEM it's also hard to fault on any grounds, crazy expensive though at around SGD 2600. For that kind of money I'd pay a bit extra a get the MH335DW which remains the best IEM I've demo'ed. Quite eager to try the new JH hybrid after hearing Jude's comments, but he really does seem to praise everything that comes out. 

May 6, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #4,268 of 4,743
Looking for quick sale of fidelio x2 price 13k
Condition like new.... used for like 1 or 2 weeks.. pm me. . . . Selling as i am moving out of india and i use my 598 more

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,271 of 4,743
Anyone interested in buying an Abyss 1266? Its 9 months old and in impeccable condition. Total warranty is for 3 years. Please drop a PM with your offer. Thnx.

May 19, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,274 of 4,743
Would iFi IEMatch in high impedance mode trick V20 into using 4 DACs by any chance?
Yes

Edit: But be careful, Adding resistance to BA based IEMs will change the crossover frequency of the drivers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back