Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #4,231 of 4,743

Yeah, I am aware I'll definitely need to get a good dac/amp, (would a DFR suffice, is what I'm thinking). In US, seeing HD650 go for 315 USD, so total 515 USD including DFR. Only thing, is don't have the budget right now :/ (so either wait for drop, and get lucky in getting HD650 sub-250 (even used - like new would do) plus opt for DFB instead, so total 320-350 USD, which I can definitely accommodate. Will wait and see. Will send you PM :)

Thanks, mate. :) With HD 650 definitely not :) I'm aware it is technically much better, but read in some threads where people were saying that 598 was a more preferable sound signature for them compared to HD600 or 650. To be honest, I don't have that much idea about my preferences, to know for sure just by reading the reviews, whether it would suit me or not. Only after trying, I am able to determine. Some earphones, which were considered to be relatively quite bass-heavy I have liked, but others I've had serious issues with. 

DFB is certainly not enough for HD650, I had one and even with full volume I was left wanting. I would suggest a desktop DAC/AMP combo like modi/magni atleast. You can get something in 100-150$ range in For sale section.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,232 of 4,743
If you have time,  do have a look at my review of MEZE 12 classic.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meze-12-classics/reviews/18415

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4,234 of 4,743

Yeah, I am aware I'll definitely need to get a good dac/amp, (would a DFR suffice, is what I'm thinking). In US, seeing HD650 go for 315 USD, so total 515 USD including DFR. Only thing, is don't have the budget right now :/ (so either wait for drop, and get lucky in getting HD650 sub-250 (even used - like new would do) plus opt for DFB instead, so total 320-350 USD, which I can definitely accommodate. Will wait and see. Will send you PM :)

Thanks, mate. :) With HD 650 definitely not :) I'm aware it is technically much better, but read in some threads where people were saying that 598 was a more preferable sound signature for them compared to HD600 or 650. To be honest, I don't have that much idea about my preferences, to know for sure just by reading the reviews, whether it would suit me or not. Only after trying, I am able to determine. Some earphones, which were considered to be relatively quite bass-heavy I have liked, but others I've had serious issues with. 

I had HD598 and still have HD650, in fact I got one from Massdrop but I wouldn't count on them to drop it again anytime soon(atleast till Nov). They haven't delivered the replacement cable they promised till now to us.

About difference btw the two, Hd598 as you would have noticed lacks bass and mids are a little thin but the treble is nice and airy. HD650 is very opposite, a lot more mid bass boom, mids are beautiful and the treble is left for wanting some more. Though Hd650 is open back the soundstage isn't as good as HD598. 

If you are buying it from amazon, better buy from amazon.co.uk. It's cheaper there. As for amp and DAC, E10k is passable for a DAC. For amp I would say look around and invest in a good desktop amp.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4,237 of 4,743
  I had HD598 and still have HD650, in fact I got one from Massdrop but I wouldn't count on them to drop it again anytime soon(atleast till Nov). They haven't delivered the replacement cable they promised till now to us.

About difference btw the two, Hd598 as you would have noticed lacks bass and mids are a little thin but the treble is nice and airy. HD650 is very opposite, a lot more mid bass boom, mids are beautiful and the treble is left for wanting some more. Though Hd650 is open back the soundstage isn't as good as HD598. 

If you are buying it from amazon, better buy from amazon.co.uk. It's cheaper there. As for amp and DAC, E10k is passable for a DAC. For amp I would say look around and invest in a good desktop amp.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm just concerned if I'm buying from outside and get them shipped to India, and especially for headphones, since they are larger package, I would have customs duty charged, which would more than make up the difference. (IEM's I have been lucky, and have never had customs duty). Any experience with buying from amazon.co.uk?

I have an option to get, if buying from US, get it through friend, although there would be significant delays in getting the product. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #4,238 of 4,743

Thanks for the comparison. I'm just concerned if I'm buying from outside and get them shipped to India, and especially for headphones, since they are larger package, I would have customs duty charged, which would more than make up the difference. (IEM's I have been lucky, and have never had customs duty). Any experience with buying from amazon.co.uk?

I have an option to get, if buying from US, get it through friend, although there would be significant delays in getting the product. 

If you are buying from Amazon UK or US, they will show you how much custom you have to pay at checkout. You don't have to pay anything other than what you will pay Amazon.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,239 of 4,743
If you are buying from Amazon UK or US, they will show you how much custom you have to pay at checkout. You don't have to pay anything other than what you will pay Amazon.

I just checked it out for curiosity's sake. Seems like for Amazon US, Sennheiser HD650/DFR don't have the option to ship to India. But, Amazon UK does allow shipping to India for Sennheiser HD650; however, the total charges after import is coming to 25.6k for Standard Shipping. Compare that with 29k in India; then there really doesn't seem to be much of a saving. I'm guessing this would have changed for other items though. For DFR, however, it was not allowing to ship to India

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #4,241 of 4,743
Seriously I am pissed at lack of opportunity to listen to amps. Right now need a decent desktop amp but since they weigh much can't think of importing and have no place to try any since I am not living near Delhi,Mumbai or Bangalore. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #4,243 of 4,743
Good Evening everyone,
My name is Manu and I'm staying in Bangalore.Although, I used to check headfi for the reviews and comparisons, never knew about this specific thread.

Over the years, I have tried out/owned the following earphones (apologies, if I mispelled some model names here, just stating from memory):
- Sennheiser HD598 SE (My current driver)
- Sennheiser HD439/PL100/PL200/HD201/HD202
- RHA T10i (thinking of selling these soon, as I feel I prefer a different signature)
- 1More Triple Driver
- RHA MA750i
- Beyerdynamic iDX 200ie
- Velodyne vPulse
- Jays A-Jays Five
- Sony MH1C
- Soundmagic E80M/E10/P11/MP11
- MEElectronics M6P/M9
- Brainwavz M2/S1
- Panasonic RP-TCM125
and then of course lots of other ones on my journey including Creative EP-630, 830

As you can see, I'm primarily interested in good budget IEMs (sub-10k at the most, usually sub-5k) as most of my music listening, happens through my phone (S7 Edge w/o any DAC/AMP currently). On laptop, primarily videos plus gaming, which I do through my Senns. 

In terms of DAC/Amps, I honestly don't have much of an experience at all. I have had Fiio E10k, and use Fiio K1 currently.

Over the last couple of days, I was seriously looking into the Chinese IEMs, to see what I can actually look at buying. (Had brought a 1More Triple Driver, and felt it was really great overall, and was looking at buying Quad Driver, which is still not available). I finally saw this thread, and spent quite a lot of time, perusing this thread. Happy to hear there are meetups which occur. :)

I just purchased a couple of earphones, VJJB N1 and Magaosi K3 Pro from Aliexpress. (got an offer on K3 Pro, that I just couldn't refuse :wink: )

Hoping to be a part of this group now, and would love to hear from you all, and hopefully meet up, later on. (Side Note: HD598SE vs HD650, is it much of an upgrade? I really like my 598SE, but would like a bit more detailing)

Hello there, welcome to our little corner of head-fi!

I too would suggest pairing the HD650 with a good DAC and amp to reach its full potential.

Recently got the Mojo (used) from a fellow head-fier; using it with RHA T20 & Fidelio X2.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,244 of 4,743
Hello every one. Currently I am using Lenovo Vibe X3 as my main source which has Sabre 9018K2M DAC which sounds excellent, but the phone has terrible software and hardware issues. I want to buy a new DAP or even better a good sounding phone. Budget for DAP is around 30k and for phone around 40k..I will be using FLC8S and Meze 99 classics.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,245 of 4,743
Hello every one. Currently I am using Lenovo Vibe X3 as my main source which has Sabre 9018K2M DAC which sounds excellent, but the phone has terrible software and hardware issues. I want to buy a new DAP or even better a good sounding phone. Budget for DAP is around 30k and for phone around 40k..I will be using FLC8S and Meze 99 classics.

Consider importing this. Phone + DAP combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back