Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,836 of 4,743

'Flagships showcasing Sony's engineering', Not TOTL necessarily...but this was when they were on a winning streak. During the SA series, there was the Qualia too.. The SA series also uses Bio-cellulose for their drivers.

I may be wrong but I believe the SA series along with Qualia 010 were a product of Nano-composite drivers rather than bio-cellulose. Qualia 010 and R10 were both limited edition releases with respectively the SA 5K & CD 3K being the affordable headphones for the masses. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,837 of 4,743
  I may be wrong but I believe the SA series along with Qualia 010 were a product of Nano-composite drivers rather than bio-cellulose. Qualia 010 and R10 were both limited edition releases with respectively the SA 5K & CD 3K being the affordable headphones for the masses. 

You are wrong and right
wink_face.gif
....A 'composite' by definition has more than 1 material constituents. The SAxk drivers were made using a nano-composite of Biocellulose and some plastic or fibre glass, I don't know which. It was just called 'Nano-composite' probably coz Sony's headphones required a face-lift after their CDs/Rs & opted for fancy marketing terms, which naturally is the bulk of marketing. Below are 2 images confirming they had invested in too much bacteria for more than one line of cans.....
biggrin.gif

SA 5k                                                   CD3k

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #2,838 of 4,743

You are wrong and right
wink_face.gif
....A 'composite' by definition has more than 1 material constituents. The SAxk drivers were made using a nano-composite of Biocellulose and some plastic or fibre glass, I don't know which. It was just called 'Nano-composite' probably coz Sony's headphones required a face-lift after their CDs/Rs & opted for fancy marketing terms, which naturally is the bulk of marketing. Below are 2 images confirming they had invested in too much bacteria for more than one line of cans.....
biggrin.gif

SA 5k                                                   CD3k

Don't think I have seen it written or printed anywhere in Sony's literature that Bio Cellular is part of their version of nano composite. It's true that bio cellular can be a part of nano composite theoretically speaking but this is just an assumption not factually proven. Silica PA 66 has organic properties which is an indication that bio cellulose might be present, but it is there in Qualia 10 as per its manual, however the Sony SA5000 manual does not say anything of that sort. 

Anyway, the sound matters more than any thing. Even Creative Aurvana and V Sonic GR07 have bio cellulose in them and they sound great as well. I would like to hear the SA5K, I'll be there at Bengaluru in Mid Feb. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,839 of 4,743
  Don't think I have seen it written or printed anywhere in Sony's literature that Bio Cellular is part of their version of nano composite. It's true that bio cellular can be a part of nano composite theoretically speaking but this is just an assumption not factually proven. Silica PA 66 has organic properties which is an indication that bio cellulose might be present, but it is there in Qualia 10 as per its manual, however the Sony SA5000 manual does not say anything of that sort. 

Anyway, the sound matters more than any thing. Even Creative Aurvana and V Sonic GR07 have bio cellulose in them and they sound great as well. I would like to hear the SA5K, I'll be there at Bengaluru in Mid Feb. 

Why would Sony write or print against their own advertising? The SA5k manual is a joke when compared to the impressive Qualia one. Ultra wide FR, 70 ohms voice coil, 50 mm dia and the same design all imply similar/same driver just differently engineered. Check up Head-fi, there are many modders and users confirming Bio-cellulose on Q010 & SAxk to simply overlook it as speculation. Like I said, you have just fallen prey to fancy terminology. 

You are welcome to visit me .... get an AMP if possible.

Goedenacht,

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,840 of 4,743
nice.

you tried this stuff??

i see you have lots of beyers, how do your amps drive dt880 and which is best?

thanks.

Extremely pleased with DUNU-DN2000J. Never cared much for fun-purpose headphones as neutrality is my idea of fun. Hence so many beyers - they also come at reasonable pricing and sttaight from the beyerdynamic-India office to me, in case I need to ask for replacements a service I availed a few times without a problem. Just received DT1770. Have been using DT 1350 and DT 880 PRO for three years both for studio and fun purpose. FiiO E17 DAC in combo with FiiO E09K. They drive very effortlessly not only my 250ohm DT 880 buy also the premium 600ohm version of DT 990 Pro that I use for non-studio music/movies purpose. In general, all beyers are sensitive enough to be driven well enough by even mid-fi amps. Even FiiO E6 makes a decent difference. Using at present Oppo HA2 DAC/Amp with its Sabre ES9018 chip that is a lot more refined than any FiiO I own. Looking forward to playing Onkyo DP-X1 that just cleared customs is to reach on Monday.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,841 of 4,743

Why would Sony write or print against their own advertising? The SA5k manual is a joke when compared to the impressive Qualia one. Ultra wide FR, 70 ohms voice coil, 50 mm dia and the same design all imply similar/same driver just differently engineered. Check up Head-fi, there are many modders and users confirming Bio-cellulose on Q010 & SAxk to simply overlook it as speculation. Like I said, you have just fallen prey to fancy terminology. 

You are welcome to visit me .... get an AMP if possible.

Goedenacht,

Wish I could carry the EF6 amp, but I might have the Resonessence Labs Concero HP with me. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,842 of 4,743
  Wish I could carry the EF6 amp, but I might have the Resonessence Labs Concero HP with me. 

And the CD3k? 
biggrin.gif
 .... I have not heard any headphones for months now. Busy with life and ooh yeah my speaker design, running from 600 Hz and up. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,843 of 4,743

And the CD3k? 
biggrin.gif
 .... I have not heard any headphones for months now. Busy with life and ooh yeah my speaker design, running from 600 Hz and up. 

The audio quality of your video recording device might not capturing the true capability of your work. Never got in to electrostatic or ribbon speakers cause of the dust problem in most of the states. If I had a place at HP or J&K then it might have been possible. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,845 of 4,743
  The audio quality of your video recording device might not capturing the true capability of your work. Never got in to electrostatic or ribbon speakers cause of the dust problem in most of the states. If I had a place at HP or J&K then it might have been possible. 

Ribbons don't have any problems with dust. With E-stat the use of wrinkled mylar as dust protection is common from the 80's, but you need HV tested torroids for optimum sound output since they will be functioning in reverse as step-up. A bigger problem with E-stat is the humidity and how it can cause changes to the coating on the mylar.

But then Wachara Chin has made E-stats which Innerfidelity claims to measure as good as the SR-009, he lives in Thailand!!!! I have heard his Orpheus clones and it is an experience in itself.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/extraordinary-diy-electrostatic-headphones-chinsettawong

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2,846 of 4,743

Ribbons don't have any problems with dust. With E-stat the use of wrinkled mylar as dust protection is common from the 80's, but you need HV tested torroids for optimum sound output since they will be functioning in reverse as step-up. A bigger problem with E-stat is the humidity and how it can cause changes to the coating on the mylar.

But then Wachara Chin has made E-stats which Innerfidelity claims to measure as good as the SR-009, he lives in Thailand!!!! I have heard his Orpheus clones and it is an experience in itself.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/extraordinary-diy-electrostatic-headphones-chinsettawong

I know, I heard about that before Tyll had mentioned it in one of his videos. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #2,848 of 4,743
I've been on a clearing spree, I don't get much time at home any more so portable is way forward for me in the near future. 

OUT: Audeze LCD 2F, Hifiman HE-4, Oppo HA-1, Grado RS-1, JVC FX-850, Fidue A73, Denon D5000, Emotiva mini-x a-100 and various cables

IN: Chord Mojo, Heir Audio 8.A (only because I got a great deal)

IN but on the way OUT: PAW 5000 (doesn't get much use with the Mojo around), Lear NS-U1 (fit issues with a demo I tried prior to mine arriving)

WISHLIST for 2016: Either one of the UERM Remastered, Hidition NT6 Pro or the Lear BD 4.2 .....Oh and a second hand Head-Direct RE-1 is always welcome :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,849 of 4,743
  I've been on a clearing spree, I don't get much time at home any more so portable is way forward for me in the near future. 

OUT: Audeze LCD 2F, Hifiman HE-4, Oppo HA-1, Grado RS-1, JVC FX-850, Fidue A73, Denon D5000, Emotiva mini-x a-100 and various cables

IN: Chord Mojo, Heir Audio 8.A (only because I got a great deal)

IN but on the way OUT: PAW 5000 (doesn't get much use with the Mojo around), Lear NS-U1 (fit issues with a demo I tried prior to mine arriving)

WISHLIST for 2016: Either one of the UERM Remastered, Hidition NT6 Pro or the Lear BD 4.2 .....Oh and a second hand Head-Direct RE-1 is always welcome :)

Hmm. Did you get a chance to check out Oriolus?

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,850 of 4,743
  Hmm. Did you get a chance to check out Oriolus?

No haven't heard it, I'm not too sure if its even available in SG. Generally the stores here flood their social media pages with new releases but it I cant recall seeing any updates on this particular product. It's quite pricey though, and I tend to steer clear of higher end universals due to fit issues with most of them. The IEMs with smaller housing that I've owned seemed to fit and seal much better, the RE-400 & 600, the EPH-100 and the RE-1 to name a few. I did manage to try out the K10 universal though, its nice but didn't quite live up to expectations after all the reviews here. From the whole Noble range I'd probably only consider paying full retail price for the Noble 3 and 4. 

On a side note, is anyone planning to attend Canjam here in Singapore? I don't think I'll be going, simply because all that gear is available to audition here most of the time anyway. However, if any of you were planning a trip down this would be a good time to check out all the gear you could possibly want to. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back