Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,821 of 4,743
  Chord mojo is probably the best portable dac/amp solution available at the moment (Considering Hugo is not portable), even better than the CEnTrance HiFi M8 and even the Portaphile 627X & 
Vorzgue pure II. I confirmed with Nathan Wright once, and he said that the amp section of the Mojo is  even better than the above mentioned gear. 

You will easily be able to drive your Senn HD700 with the Chord Mojo. But if you want optimum results you need to build a Beta 22 system or get a decently priced ($1000-2500) amp. But the premium you'll pay will not be proportionate with the SQ margin.

Power matters but clean power matters even more. The Mojo is battery operated so you will get a cleaner sound with less amount of grain, harmonic distortion compared to any desktop setup unless you are thinking of Red Wine Audio Amps. 

If you are on a budget, Chord Mojo is a great solution for both your portable, home and office needs. I myself was going to get one, but I already had QP1R and so I got the Ressonessence Labs Concero HD for my home/office use. 

um, i wont get mojo if i were on a budget. gotta eat as well ya know.

the only big solid state amp i have tried is audeze deckard.

how does mojo compare to something like that. portable stuff i have used like fiio x7, e12, i wont categorise in same category as soundstage and dynamics are not even close. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,822 of 4,743

ha 1 is that balanced dac amp unit right?

sound signature and subjective preference aside, does mojo gives bigger sound than ha 1? in terms of detail, dynamics, soundstage? especially with full sized cans.

thanks.

Yeah its a balanced DAC/AMP.

The sound stage on the Mojo isn't as wide as the HA-1 either balanced or single ended, but detail retrieval and dynamics to my ears were better and sounded more natural. I always thought a wider sound stage would translate to better details, but I underestimated what a pitch black background can do. Perhaps this is where the Mojo gets its in edge. 

I've sold all my cans and use CIEMs now, but the Mojo has no trouble with most. My old HE-4 I'm guessing would struggle to reach max potential and so would the HE-6 but not much else. I auditioned it with a few full size cans and it sounded quite effortless (LCD2, LCD-XC more extensively and the RS1i for a very short time). 

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,823 of 4,743

um, i wont get mojo if i were on a budget. gotta eat as well ya know.

the only big solid state amp i have tried is audeze deckard.

how does mojo compare to something like that. portable stuff i have used like fiio x7, e12, i wont categorise in same category as soundstage and dynamics are not even close. 

Deckard seems like an okay option and it is available in India, but at that price point I will prefer the Questyle Q192 Dac/Amp. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,826 of 4,743
Chord mojo is probably the best portable dac/amp solution available at the moment (Considering Hugo is not portable), even better than the CEnTrance HiFi M8 and even the Portaphile 627X & Vorzgue pure II. I confirmed with Nathan Wright once, and he said that the amp section of the Mojo is  even better than the above mentioned gear. 

You will easily be able to drive your Senn HD700 with the Chord Mojo. But if you want optimum results you need to build a Beta 22 system or get a decently priced ($1000-2500) amp. But the premium you'll pay will not be proportionate with the SQ margin.

Power matters but clean power matters even more. The Mojo is battery operated so you will get a cleaner sound with less amount of grain, harmonic distortion compared to any desktop setup unless you are thinking of Red Wine Audio Amps. 

If you are on a budget, Chord Mojo is a great solution for both your portable, home and office needs. I myself was going to get one, but I already had QP1R and so I got the Ressonessence Labs Concero HD for my home/office use. 

@EVERYONE

I can't resist this one: I have been fortunate enough to follow @xEcuToR's thoughts on many a thing on various threads and I must confess the man precisely knows what he is talking about and I benefited from his ultra reliable knowledge and experience on a few occasions and made right decisions and purchases. I would like everyone in this India thread to know that his words can be considered for dependable advice. Also, it might just be a coincidence that his profile pic is that of the well-known God who is learnt to have something to do with education and imparting knowledge. Thank you, @xEcuToR. My DUNU DN-2000J is a great purchase and value for money, Chord Mojo is possible the best portable DAC/Amp at any price point in three figures, double DAC doesn't necessarily mean better performance, balanced doesn't necessarily mean better SQ, FAD Pandora Hope VI is indeed being accepted as the endgame headphone by many with its thrilling performance and driveability and Questyle QP1R has indeed been hailed as the best DAP of 2015 at a price point that can make many elitist brands hang their heads in shame, and the fact that it's not just the chip buy implementation and the fact that the mose ideal DAP is one that should do just one job extremely well - to play music. Have been lucky to have interacted with you for a while and appreciate all the patience and advice you shared with me via posts and PM. God bless you and may you never be devoid of the heavenly music that you so deeply in love with.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,827 of 4,743
  Think about Meizu HD50 as well. Latest reviews suggest that they are slightly better than Pro80 with a better style and most importantly comfort. I own Pro80 and I love them. But personally feel that they lack a lil bit of mid bass and mids can sound bit artificial depending on the source. I listen to them on X3ii and voices are better now compared to my Cowon player.
Here's the link to get HD50
http://www.gearbest.com/headsets/pp_265038.html

I'm waiting for their India release as their smartphones prices are better in Indian market than abroad. 

Hey, I'm really tempted to get the Meizu HD50, especially at their current sale price of 60 USD. I read a couple of reviews here and they certainly seem to be great bang for buck, especially for on-the-go listening. The sale ends in two days apparently and then the price would shoot up to 150 USD. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,828 of 4,743
  To me a set up like the AKG K501/Senn HD250 II/Sony MDR CD3000 with even a Crack OTL/Beta 22 with an iPod shuffle can beat any of the above mentioned products or their variations in SQ and definitely in the above mentioned to $3500 price range. 

I second that except the CD3k will be replaced with an SA5k.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,829 of 4,743
@EVERYONE

I can't resist this one: I have been fortunate enough to follow @xEcuToR's thoughts on many a thing on various threads and I must confess the man precisely knows what he is talking about and I benefited from his ultra reliable knowledge and experience on a few occasions and made right decisions and purchases. I would like everyone in this India thread to know that his words can be considered for dependable advice. Also, it might just be a coincidence that his profile pic is that of the well-known God who is learnt to have something to do with education and imparting knowledge. Thank you, @xEcuToR. My DUNU DN-2000J is a great purchase and value for money, Chord Mojo is possible the best portable DAC/Amp at any price point in three figures, double DAC doesn't necessarily mean better performance, balanced doesn't necessarily mean better SQ, FAD Pandora Hope VI is indeed being accepted as the endgame headphone by many with its thrilling performance and driveability and Questyle QP1R has indeed been hailed as the best DAP of 2015 at a price point that can make many elitist brands hang their heads in shame, and the fact that it's not just the chip buy implementation and the fact that the mose ideal DAP is one that should do just one job extremely well - to play music. Have been lucky to have interacted with you for a while and appreciate all the patience and advice you shared with me via posts and PM. God bless you and may you never be devoid of the heavenly music that you so deeply in love with.

Appreciate your kind words, but your words are quite overwhelming. I am first and foremost a music lover and I enjoy listening to music with the aid of good sound reproducing gear, that's it. If my advice or rambling whatever you might like to call it, helped you out in someway then my I'm glad. I am sure I have gotta learn a lot of things from you and other headfiers here and everywhere. 

Cheers 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,831 of 4,743
@EVERYONE

nice.

you tried this stuff??

i see you have lots of beyers, how do your amps drive dt880 and which is best?

thanks.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #2,832 of 4,743
  To each its own I guess. Senn HD800 design was inspired by the Sony MDR SA5000, but have you ever heard the MDR CD 3000? 

Never heard the CD3k! Exact reason for replacement
cool.gif
..To each 'his' own ofcourse!  But I am in the same train infact the same bogey may be since I like the AKG k501 over their later incarnations and the HD250 Linear II by a mile over most of what Senn produces now. 
beerchug.gif

CD3k and SA5k are flagships showcasing Sony's engineering skills. Sad that their OLP drivers couldn't achieve this limelight.

P.S> And definitely never an IPod shuffle ... 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #2,833 of 4,743
If anyone's interested in the following do drop me a PM;

Two week old Lotto PAW 5000 with about 8 months warranty left (was RMA'ed with a new unit a couple of weeks ago)
Untouched NSS LEAR NS-U1 IEM with about 10 months warranty left

I could try having it sent down to India if someone I know makes a trip back home, would avoid the customs issues. All sale proceeds will be contributed to the RambleOnRed UE Pro Remastered Trust Fund 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #2,834 of 4,743

Never heard the CD3k! Exact reason for replacement
cool.gif
..To each 'his' own ofcourse!  But I am in the same train infact the same bogey may be since I like the AKG k501 over their later incarnations and the HD250 Linear II by a mile over most of what Senn produces now. 
beerchug.gif

CD3k and SA5k are flagships showcasing Sony's engineering skills. Sad that their OLP drivers couldn't achieve this limelight.

P.S> And definitely never an IPod shuffle ... 
tongue.gif

Not sure if you can call them flagship, since MDR R10 was around when MDR CD3K was released. CD3K and CD1.7K share the same bio-cellulose drivers, but in terms of overall SQ CD3K is the closest headphone to MDR R10 and headphile moded CD3K sounds almost as good as per a lot of guys here. Too bad Larry does not make those mods any more.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #2,835 of 4,743
  Not sure if you can call them flagship, since MDR R10 was around when MDR CD3K was released. CD3K and CD1.7K share the same bio-cellulose drivers, but in terms of overall SQ CD3K is the closest headphone to MDR R10 and headphile moded CD3K sounds almost as good as per a lot of guys here. Too bad Larry does not make those mods any more.

'Flagships showcasing Sony's engineering', Not TOTL necessarily...but this was when they were on a winning streak. During the SA series, there was the Qualia too.. The SA series also uses Bio-cellulose for their drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back