Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,851 of 4,743
  No haven't heard it, I'm not too sure if its even available in SG. Generally the stores here flood their social media pages with new releases but it I cant recall seeing any updates on this particular product. It's quite pricey though, and I tend to steer clear of higher end universals due to fit issues with most of them. The IEMs with smaller housing that I've owned seemed to fit and seal much better, the RE-400 & 600, the EPH-100 and the RE-1 to name a few. I did manage to try out the K10 universal though, its nice but didn't quite live up to expectations after all the reviews here. From the whole Noble range I'd probably only consider paying full retail price for the Noble 3 and 4. 

On a side note, is anyone planning to attend Canjam here in Singapore? I don't think I'll be going, simply because all that gear is available to audition here most of the time anyway. However, if any of you were planning a trip down this would be a good time to check out all the gear you could possibly want to. 

After going through a lot of IEMs I have ended my quest for Universals with Earsonic Velvet and Ocharaku Nami. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #2,852 of 4,743
  No haven't heard it, I'm not too sure if its even available in SG. Generally the stores here flood their social media pages with new releases but it I cant recall seeing any updates on this particular product. It's quite pricey though, and I tend to steer clear of higher end universals due to fit issues with most of them. The IEMs with smaller housing that I've owned seemed to fit and seal much better, the RE-400 & 600, the EPH-100 and the RE-1 to name a few. I did manage to try out the K10 universal though, its nice but didn't quite live up to expectations after all the reviews here. From the whole Noble range I'd probably only consider paying full retail price for the Noble 3 and 4. 

On a side note, is anyone planning to attend Canjam here in Singapore? I don't think I'll be going, simply because all that gear is available to audition here most of the time anyway. However, if any of you were planning a trip down this would be a good time to check out all the gear you could possibly want to. 

With regard to CanJam, I initially thought of going but now some things have come up, so I can't go. Would love to go to RMAF one day though. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2,853 of 4,743
Hello, probably my first post here, didn't even know this thread existed! Thanks to the person who redirected me here.

Anyway, I have something to ask, if someone could then kindly reply. I bought a MDR-100AAP a month ago as I was looking for a new headphone, and I have been listening to it so far, well I quite like it to be quite honest. Now the thing is I am not sure whether I have made the right choice going for this, over the Beyer DT770 which I was actually eyeing, but then at last moment changed my decision. Budget was NOT the factor just to be clear. Now here I am after one month, and now I am thinking that this headphone (100AAP) might be a little soft for my taste, I just seek a little more dynamism, if that's the word. So I have already put it on for sale, do you guys think that the 770 will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over this cans? Cause I don't want to buy it unless its a worthy upgrade if you get what I mean. Cause previously, I mean before the 100AAP I bought the AT-M40X and it was the worst sound I have ever heard from a headphone after the XB300 I used few years ago and yet most reviews said it is a great headphone and all that, so a rating doesn't really matter to me any more.

If anyone had listened to the Beyer DT770 (which I am sure is a plenty of people) personally and somehow coincidentally or whatever have had the chance of listening to the mentioned Sony as well, then kindly provide your valuable input here, I will really appreciate it.

I use my headphone with my desktop system mainly, if not always, motherboard's sound, with a E11 amp, that's all. And music listening is my least usage here but movies and gaming, just thought about mentioning it, that's all.

- Saurav

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,854 of 4,743
  Hello, probably my first post here, didn't even know this thread existed! Thanks to the person who redirected me here.

Anyway, I have something to ask, if someone could then kindly reply. I bought a MDR-100AAP a month ago as I was looking for a new headphone, and I have been listening to it so far, well I quite like it to be quite honest. Now the thing is I am not sure whether I have made the right choice going for this, over the Beyer DT770 which I was actually eyeing, but then at last moment changed my decision. Budget was NOT the factor just to be clear. Now here I am after one month, and now I am thinking that this headphone (100AAP) might be a little soft for my taste, I just seek a little more dynamism, if that's the word. So I have already put it on for sale, do you guys think that the 770 will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over this cans? Cause I don't want to buy it unless its a worthy upgrade if you get what I mean. Cause previously, I mean before the 100AAP I bought the AT-M40X and it was the worst sound I have ever heard from a headphone after the XB300 I used few years ago and yet most reviews said it is a great headphone and all that, so a rating doesn't really matter to me any more.

If anyone had listened to the Beyer DT770 (which I am sure is a plenty of people) personally and somehow coincidentally or whatever have had the chance of listening to the mentioned Sony as well, then kindly provide your valuable input here, I will really appreciate it.

I use my headphone with my desktop system mainly, if not always, motherboard's sound, with a E11 amp, that's all. And music listening is my least usage here but movies and gaming, just thought about mentioning it, that's all.

- Saurav

Are you talking about DT 770 Pro or DT 770 Premium ?

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,856 of 4,743
  Oh darn, I am a total noob, didn't even know there was a premium version! Anyway, no, I am talking about the PRO version, not Premium.

Both have different applications of course, Sony MDR 100AAP is a portable on ear whereas the DT770 Pros are studio use headphones. It is still considered one of the best at its price points, but it has a V shaped sound signature, extenuated bass, flat bass and sparkly bright highs. 

For the particular applications you mentioned above,there are far cheaper and better value for money headphones out there. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,857 of 4,743
  Both have different applications of course, Sony MDR 100AAP is a portable on ear whereas the DT770 Pros are studio use headphones. It is still considered one of the best at its price points, but it has a V shaped sound signature, extenuated bass, flat bass and sparkly bright highs. 

For the particular applications you mentioned above,there are far cheaper and better value for money headphones out there. 

Thanks for your input. Well I like V shaped sound. I don't get what you mean by the two types of bass though!

Not that I am really interested in any cheaper products but exactly which models are you talking about? I am only into closed back by the way. And no Beats or stuffs, kindly :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #2,858 of 4,743
  Thanks for your input. Well I like V shaped sound. I don't get what you mean by the two types of bass though!

Not that I am really interested in any cheaper products but exactly which models are you talking about? I am only into closed back by the way. And no Beats or stuffs, kindly :)

If you are really interested in that kind of a sound checkout Lach's Review of the DT 770 Pros to get a better idea. You can also checkout Jude's headphone guide for gaming HPs and with regard to other options, tell me your budget first. I am assuming you are a basshead, even though you say you don't like Beats. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,859 of 4,743
  If you are really interested in that kind of a sound checkout Lach's Review of the DT 770 Pros to get a better idea. You can also checkout Jude's headphone guide for gaming HPs and with regard to other options, tell me your budget first. I am assuming you are a basshead, even though you say you don't like Beats. 

Thanks for the links, will surely check them out after work.

My budget is around 14-15k (this will be used for at least 3 years). I am a Basshead, but at the same time I hate Sony's XB lineup or anything that has overpowering bass dimming out any details or anything of other frequencies, so if needed I can go with a headphone with minimum bass.

And about gaming headphones, well I said that I use my headphones for gaming and movies mostly, by that I meant more usage, I don't really care about those gaming headphones which boosts sound to a pathetic extent and treble goes mountain high and all that, I want a GOOD headphone that's all. V shaped sound, bright signature, decent to good amount of bass, extremely comfortable, closed back must and nothing with those neutral studio thing (refer to my awful experience with the M40X), where I have to listen for the sound whether it exists or not rather than the sound is being presented to me, if that means slight boost of some freq then that. Being an amateur that's the best I can describe my needs :)

PS: My previous headphone which I really liked was a Sony V55, it was terribly uncomfortable, there was no isolation, it was built awfully, and for long usage it was harsh which caused some migraine but I liked the overall sound of it, different league, shape etc., but saying. That was broken, that led me to find for a new headphone in market.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,860 of 4,743

My budget is around 14-15k (this will be used for at least 3 years). I am a Basshead, but at the same time I hate Sony's XB lineup or anything that has overpowering bass dimming out any details or anything of other frequencies, so if needed I can go with a headphone with minimum bass.

And about gaming headphones, well I said that I use my headphones for gaming and movies mostly, by that I meant more usage, I don't really care about those gaming headphones which boosts sound to a pathetic extent and treble goes mountain high and all that, I want a GOOD headphone that's all. V shaped sound, bright signature, decent to good amount of bass, extremely comfortable, closed back must and nothing with those neutral studio thing (refer to my awful experience with the M40X), where I have to listen for the sound whether it exists or not rather than the sound is being presented to me, if that means slight boost of some freq then that. Being an amateur that's the best I can describe my needs :)

PS: My previous headphone which I really liked was a Sony V55, it was terribly uncomfortable, there was no isolation, it was built awfully, and for long usage it was harsh which caused some migraine but I liked the overall sound of it, different league, shape etc., but saying. That was broken, that led me to find for a new headphone in market.

beyers are good. should be worthy upgrade.

they are a little hard to drive. will need an amp i think.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #2,861 of 4,743

Before I refer any headphones that might suit you, I urge you to checkout the Sennheiser Store at Kolkata. Go and audition some headphones there. You might like something there. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,862 of 4,743

Hey Saurav,

Check out the MDR 1R mk2(older version of the 1A) which is available for around 15-16k on eBay.

This should have lesser bass quantity than the newer 1A, and should be a clear step up from the 100AAP. Do try to listen to them if possible at some Sony stores or from friends if possible. There are quite a few Kolkatans here on headfi as well.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,863 of 4,743

- Saurav

Contrary to some responses to your post, beyerdynamic headphones are NOT hard to drive unless they are 600 ohm Premium versions. Most beyers come with high sensitivity and even 250 ohm versions can be driven for your desktop use to decent level without amp and to great level with your E11 amp. Don't hesitate. In addition, the 32-ohm version of DT 770 Pro can be used straight out of laptops and phones without amp to very satisfying level without draining battery. The cheap Rs.1800 FiiO E6 amp can make it even attain its optimum performance. Choose 80-ohm version, if you prefers more bass and amp-situation.

If you don't mind on-ear, instead of over-ear, DT 1350 is an excellent choice. You may not like the stated 'neutral response' of it but you will be happy in an amp-ed situation with it and/or by replacing its earpads with the similar T51p. Streych budget by 3k for this one. 80ohm. Get it cheaper after bargain and straight from beyerdynamic India office. Call Hsaik Ahmed: 9916544483 and give my reference to push for low price. You can get DT 1350 or T51p for 14k, if you talk nicely.

On the other hand, if you want something especially for gaming and action films: try beyerdynamic MMX 300. Comes with mic and closed-back tank-like build. 18k.

Your 14k budget is decent enough to consider many options but beyers will give you great build, the near V signature you wish and free replacememt , in case anything goes wrong, if you purchase straight from beyer office. Call Ahmed. Forget Sony plastics.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #2,864 of 4,743
@EVERYONE

Isn't it high time we removed "R O L L C A L L" part of the title of this thread and make it simply "India HeadFi Thread for Resident Indians"?!!

Quiet a few posters here got to know about this thread only by receiving a link of it from others and NOT by simple browsing/searching of list of all threads. I come from advertising and common sense - title must be straight and short and purpose-defining, instead of some creative and juvenile tangent like " R O L L C A L L". I wonder who is control of the name of the thread here and if he has an open mind.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,865 of 4,743
If anyone of your relatives/ friends are coming to India from US don't forget to ask them to buy Puro IEM500 for you. Its a dream come true experience guys. Extreme clarity in mids and highs, tons of details without sibilance, deep controlled bass, extremely wide soundstage. They shine with added amp. I'm using them with Fiio X3ii+ Topping NX1. It's a wonderful experience.:)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Puro-Sound-Labs-IEM500-Studio-Grade-In-Ear-Monitors-with-Dual-Dynamic-Drivers-/311362867142

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back