Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,881 of 4,743
  Hi guys,

Can you recommend me a closed headphone/IEM within Rs. 5000 that is good for gaming? I prefer positional accuracy over the volume of the soundstage.
Semi-open headphones are fine as long as the leakage is very low.

Under 5k open back headphones are too few. Unsure of how much is the leakage but an Ahuja AHP-1800 might be your best bet. They are rebranded Takstar hi2050. 

Regards,

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #2,882 of 4,743
Hi guys,

Can you recommend me a closed headphone/IEM within Rs. 5000 that is good for gaming? I prefer positional accuracy over the volume of the soundstage.

There are several options within ₹5000

1.Vsonic Vsd3s
2.Rha Audio Ma600
3.Meelectronics M6Pro
4. Monoprice 108323
5.Superlux Hd668b

You might find a few more good ones if you dig through the Chinese headphone threads, but it will take a long time and a lot of crap to get to the good stuff.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #2,883 of 4,743
  Hi guys,

I am using Vsonic VSD3 which i think can be good for gaming due to its great imaging and soundstage capabilities..i have used them while playing CS only but they were great ....also good dac and amp really opened the soundstage of vsonic vsd3 compared to integrated Laptop DAC....

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #2,884 of 4,743
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,885 of 4,743
How promising these look?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750871/the-mi-headphones-by-xiaomi-lively-discussions-starting-page-7

Looks good, have heard about them before, but this escapes me, who will use a semi-open portable headphones, unless for some specific application. Its good value for money but then the Creative Aurvana Live, Yamaha HPH MH-120 (MH-220 is one of the best closed headphones out there for the money), ATH M50 and several more are immensely better in my opinion. 

Continuing in the portable segment of headphones, with regard to portable on-ears, by 2012, I thought I had found the best with the DT1350s, as they had wonderful dynamics and sound stage for a portable and still to this day is the isolation king, when it comes to headphones. But after listening to the Aedle VK-1 my opinion changed, as the VK-1 had clearly the better SQ in every department sans the sound-stage, which improved massively with amplification. 

Now the Sonus Faber Pryma, I got it a few weeks back sounds a tad bit better than the Aedle VK-1, but they are in border line on ear, over ear segment. But the price premium one pays to get a better sound compared to the benchmarks like DT1350/T51/HD26 is huge. To me Aedle VK-1 and Pryma is absolutely worth it, especially if you consider the overall aspect of SQ and looks, but to a lot of people it will not be justified. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2,887 of 4,743
Looks good, have heard about them before, but this escapes me, who will use a semi-open portable headphones, unless for some specific application. Its good value for money but then the Creative Aurvana Live, Yamaha HPH MH-120 (MH-220 is one of the best closed headphones out there for the money), ATH M50 and several more are immensely better in my opinion. 

Continuing in the portable segment of headphones, with regard to portable on-ears, by 2012, I thought I had found the best with the DT1350s, as they had wonderful dynamics and sound stage for a portable and still to this day is the isolation king, when it comes to headphones. But after listening to the Aedle VK-1 my opinion changed, as the VK-1 had clearly the better SQ in every department sans the sound-stage, which improved massively with amplification. 

Now the Sonus Faber Pryma, I got it a few weeks back sounds a tad bit better than the Aedle VK-1, but they are in border line on ear, over ear segment. But the price premium one pays to get a better sound compared to the benchmarks like DT1350/T51/HD26 is huge. To me Aedle VK-1 and Pryma is absolutely worth it, especially if you consider the overall aspect of SQ and looks, but to a lot of people it will not be justified. 

DT 1350 in amplified situation does feel like a miracle to me till date - transparency, separation, isolation, effortlessness and vocals. And now, every biggie is onto ruffling feathers in mid-fi on-ear closed-back portable headphones, as you too noticed: HiFiMan Edition S, Audeze SINE being two of the first this year. Not to mention, the "junior" versions of DAPs from the same biggies: AK Jr, Cowon Plenue D, FiiO M3.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,888 of 4,743
DT 1350 in amplified situation does feel like a miracle to me till date - transparency, separation, isolation, effortlessness and vocals. And now, every biggie is onto ruffling feathers in mid-fi on-ear closed-back portable headphones, as you too noticed: HiFiMan Edition S, Audeze SINE being two of the first this year. Not to mention, the "junior" versions of DAPs from the same biggies: AK Jr, Cowon Plenue D, FiiO M3.

DT1350 has everything going for it, only the mid-range started sounding weird to me, when I was doing A-B testing with the VK-1s, but then again VK1 had better bass, highs and dynamics compared to the DT1350s with and without an amp. VK1s with a powerful amp (EF 6. DX2 Dr Dac, Pelican 2 Portaphile 627x) sound so good, that they are at a different level compared to the 1350s, 51Ps.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,889 of 4,743
DT1350 has everything going for it, only the mid-range started sounding weird to me, when I was doing A-B testing with the VK-1s, but then again VK1 had better bass, highs and dynamics compared to the DT1350s with and without an amp. VK1s with a powerful amp (EF 6. DX2 Dr Dac, Pelican 2 Portaphile 627x) sound so good, that they are at a different level compared to the 1350s, 51Ps.

SQ aside, I can't help but admire the design sense that went into any headphone beyerdynamic designed. Not the tank-like build but the empathy that goes into the physical design of the outer shape that seem to care about the comforts and discomforts user comes across. These product design ideas become apparent to those users who are sensible and sensitive enough to notice the presence in them or the lack of them in other reputed brands.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,890 of 4,743
Hi I am from India...just found this thread .....did not know that many people are interested in High end audio equipment in India.
I have recently started listening to high end headphones and this hobby is amazing. It is great to know there is separate thread for headfiers from India where i could find audio enthusiasts locally. I always though audiophile community wasn't so active in India.

I currently own this gear :-
Headphones and IEM's -  Philips Fidelio X2, Vsonic VSD3, Me-electronics M11
Amp & DAC - Fiio E17K Alpen 2

Hey there, fellow Fidelio X2 user here. If you're in Delhi/NCR, you could join a small bunch of us here when we plan to meet up next, which should be in the near future.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,892 of 4,743
Watched the CES intro given by Sankar. Nice that they're going more consumer friendly, maybe on the lines of Oppo and the like.

Its just good to see more manufacturers going for portable orthos. This is just the beginning though, as I see many new and existing manufacturers jumping on this band wagon. Hope things will progress fast and people will be able to make lighter and better isolating orthos. But a lot of R&D needs to take place and cost of magnets needs  to go down. If Yamaha can make YH 5M in the 70s, then I'm hopeful we'll see orthodynamic IEMs in the foreseeable future. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,893 of 4,743
The EL8 wasn't exactly a well received pair of headphones though, especially the closed back one which was a disaster. USD 700 for those, no thank you. I don't really have great expectations for these, although I'd love to be proved wrong. 

Audeze also seems to have quite a few issues with their drivers. My LCD2 Fazor used to have a driver die on me every 3 months or so. To their credit their warranty policy and customer service is fantastic. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #2,894 of 4,743
  The EL8 wasn't exactly a well received pair of headphones though, especially the closed back one which was a disaster. USD 700 for those, no thank you. I don't really have great expectations for these, although I'd love to be proved wrong. 

Audeze also seems to have quite a few issues with their drivers. My LCD2 Fazor used to have a driver die on me every 3 months or so. To their credit their warranty policy and customer service is fantastic. 

EL8 was a disaster, especially if you consider the success they have been having since the LCD 2 launch in 2010. 
I never got into Audeze headphones due to various reasons, cost being one of them, (I did consider getting the LCD 3 at one point, instead got the Taket H2+ TR2 system)  and 2nd being a friend who I sold my HE5 to not liking the LCD 2s (Pre Fazor) and preferring the HiFiMaN school of sound. 

But I can't ignore the fact that they are one of the leading brands in Ortho headphone manufacturing today. HiFiMaN has a broader price range products which is quite an attractive proposition for a lot of people. Oppo on the other hand makes consumer friendly orthos, they (Flagships) may not sound as good as the above mentioned orthos, but they took feedback from people before developing their product e.g. Oppo PM-3 , which was a very good product for the price, in fact it is a $100 cheaper than Audeze Sine On-ear in RP today. 

On a different note hoping some Japanese companies like Final Audio and Fit Ear (Its unlikely but am hopeful) get into portable on-ears too as they have unparalleled QC. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #2,895 of 4,743
Anyone know where can i get a Chord Mojo in India? Or importing it is the only option? Or if someone might wanna let go his unit here?
It is so sad that the options of the audiophile gear is so limited here in india :frowning2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back