Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,936 of 4,743
  I have a very old Pioneer AV System but I just ordered a Schiit Magni and Modi last night.

Cannot comment on the Pioneer but in general stereo amps/receivers don't fare that well with high impedance cans IME. Schitt M&M is a great combo. However, for the Senns and the Beyers, a tube amp (OTL) is a better amp to use. I have tremendous results with the Schiit Vali (very very cheap but what a value), the BH Crack with Speedball, the Project Ember and the Zana Deux. I did not like the Schiit Lyr 1 and very curious about the Valhalla 2. 

Schiit solid-state amps (Asgard, Magni etc) I find pair very well with the orthodynamic cans. Did you get the Modi Uber 2?

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,937 of 4,743
Hi folks.. My Rocoo Pis still up for grabs..

www.head-fi.org/t/756752/hisoundaudio-rocoo-p-india-price-reduction-for-quick-sale#post_11380963

Looking for an early sale or trade.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #1,938 of 4,743
Had the hd598 before that. 

Sold it cause it sounded like garbage, what a waste of money the HD598 was.

Wow, now that's a lot of hate for the HD598! On what terms would you term it as unacceptable? I agree that personal tastes vary greatly, but this is the first time it has been bashed like this that I've seen. Hence I'm curious, as to what the 598 did so badly that it can be considered an absolute waste. I use the HD558 at home and find it to be very decent for the price. And I've not listened to the 650 yet, but I've listened to 598 (albeit briefly) and found it to be likeable. In fact I found it to be better to my liking than the Momentum, for whatever reason.

I do hope to get into a better league of headphones before the end of this year, looking at the Philips Fidelio line, either L2 or X1. So I'm ready for any advice on similar headphones in the price bracket, and those that perform on par or better than them.

Thanks again, cheers

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,939 of 4,743
Wow, now that's a lot of hate for the HD598! On what terms would you term it as unacceptable? I agree that personal tastes vary greatly, but this is the first time it has been bashed like this that I've seen. Hence I'm curious, as to what the 598 did so badly that it can be considered an absolute waste. I use the HD558 at home and find it to be very decent for the price. And I've not listened to the 650 yet, but I've listened to 598 (albeit briefly) and found it to be likeable. In fact I found it to be better to my liking than the Momentum, for whatever reason.

I do hope to get into a better league of headphones before the end of this year, looking at the Philips Fidelio line, either L2 or X1. So I'm ready for any advice on similar headphones in the price bracket, and those that perform on par or better than them.

Thanks again, cheers

Wait for the momentum 2, or get the Viso HP50.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,940 of 4,743

Thanks again, cheers

Not really the case.
When something sounds bad, preference is inapplicable.
I disliked the Vocals on the HD598, I found them to be plasticky and etched. There was no lushness in the sound. The 650 although significantly more money has a better play.

For the price Senn sells the hd598 for in India makes it a complete garbage headphone. I payed 15k and it would have been a good value at 5k.
For the Hd558 I feel the same.
My cousin has a very old Senn headphone, forgot the model number but that sounds way better than the modern senns.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,941 of 4,743
  Not really the case.
When something sounds bad, preference is inapplicable.
I disliked the Vocals on the HD598, I found them to be plasticky and etched. There was no lushness in the sound. The 650 although significantly more money has a better play.

For the price Senn sells the hd598 for in India makes it a complete garbage headphone. I payed 15k and it would have been a good value at 5k.
For the Hd558 I feel the same.
My cousin has a very old Senn headphone, forgot the model number but that sounds way better than the modern senns.

Maybe its because of its flat and analytical presentation. It certainly does not have that "wow" factor to it but brings out all the details throughout the freq. range quite well.
Or maybe your new source can liven things up.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,942 of 4,743

Wait for the momentum 2, or get the Viso HP50

The Viso HP50 sure is rated highly but would ideally like to have a listen first. And is the Momentum 2 coming out soon? I mean is there any official info?
But if it is priced at around 350 USD it becomes a difficult investment to make, especially since there are others in the 200-250 USD range that perform way ahead of their price bracket. But I'll definitely have a listen first hand before buying any new headphone, that's for sure. 

Thanks for the suggestions Suman, cheers

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,943 of 4,743
Throw the FISCHER FA-011 into the mix too. Punches well above their price range, so much so that they actually made it more expensive. It was around 130 USD to when I bought it, retails for 180 to 200 now. 

Sold it and regret doing so, extremely enjoyable can. Great bass for a open dynamic.

This reminds me of my most amusing second hand deal ever. I had two of these, the second was listed at 130 SGD and I met up with the buyer at a common location. The guy who bought it pulled up in a Maserati and asked he if he could have 10 dollars off the agreed price. I was standing there with my jaw open and couldn't help myself from asking why a guy in car that on SG roads would set him back close to a million dollars would want 10 dollars off on a pair of headphones. He giggles and says its my Singaporean blood!

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,944 of 4,743

The Viso HP50 sure is rated highly but would ideally like to have a listen first. And is the Momentum 2 coming out soon? I mean is there any official info?
But if it is priced at around 350 USD it becomes a difficult investment to make, especially since there are others in the 200-250 USD range that perform way ahead of their price bracket. But I'll definitely have a listen first hand before buying any new headphone, that's for sure. 

Thanks for the suggestions Suman, cheers

The new momentums are already announced and i think it will be available in india soon. I think so.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,945 of 4,743
  Maybe its because of its flat and analytical presentation. It certainly does not have that "wow" factor to it but brings out all the details throughout the freq. range quite well.
Or maybe your new source can liven things up.

If you think the 598 is "flat" and "analytical" then you should probably go and try out better headphones.
Source is doubtful because during my stint I had a Audioengine D1 that I later gifted to my nephew. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,946 of 4,743

Thanks again, cheers

598 is priced same at dt880.

get a 100$ tube amp like vali and you get something approaching reference level sound at cheap.

598 is better than momentum cause momentum is even worse value for money
beyersmile.png

by itself HD5xx series is solid. but competition makes it look bad.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #1,947 of 4,743
  If you think the 598 is "flat" and "analytical" then you should probably go and try out better headphones.
Source is doubtful because during my stint I had a Audioengine D1 that I later gifted to my nephew. 

Of course there are better headphones but HD598 isn't all that bad.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,948 of 4,743

Of course there are better headphones but HD598 isn't all that bad.

imo if they are like hd518 that I have (I have heard all hd5xx sound similar), their fault is too diffused soundstage. i simply dont get midrange the way I would like.

hence I personally prefer lower end, more mid focused hps from sennheiser like hd448 and even my px80 over them.

they are technically good but musically worse.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,949 of 4,743

imo if they are like hd518 that I have (I have heard all hd5xx sound similar), their fault is too diffused soundstage. i simply dont get midrange the way I would like.

hence I personally prefer lower end, more mid focused hps from sennheiser like hd448 and even my px80 over them.

they are technically good but musically worse.

Yes, they aren't very musical and somewhat dry sounding but the details are rather good.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,950 of 4,743
Just tried the piston 2.1. Friend who got is flabbergasted and thinking of drawing up an export/import plan for it to Benelux.

Too much bass and thin voice but too early to standby comment. No opinion on treble yet. Will check it out after a week. Sound is brighter than Sony MH1C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back