Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,966 of 4,743
I am myself is a big IEM fan, but I'd attribute that to the constraints I face. Most of my listening time is while I am commuting, or when I am working in office. Both the times I can not wear headphones. Other times I don't have an air conditioner and I live in Mumbai, you should get idea. Wearing a headphone is a suffocating experience in this kind of weather. Otherwise whenever I got to try a good headphone I always loved it. I kind of envy the soundstage and thump a headphone is able to produce when compared with IEMs.

That said, I'll still buy ATH-M50x when I get transfer to Pune, for which I'm really trying : ) 

Good luck with that. I find earphones more convenient. Needless to say portable.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #1,967 of 4,743
  Why ? .. Which are Sub 50-60$ headphones availaible in india which sounds good ??

Almost none in that price range, I was talking in reference to the first post you made which was quite general haha! Maybe cans like the takstar pro 80 or the ATM-M30 would surpass some IEMs in the same range, but I think their prices are probably inflated to well above the 60USD range in India. 

Vsonic make some great products, I liked the vsonic vsd1 a lot and you can't go wrong with most of their stuff. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,968 of 4,743
Haha, that's nice. Request a transfer to a cooler location to be able to wear full size cans for longer. Very justified indeed! :D

I currently rotate between closed full size cans in the winter (thanks to the great NCR weather, the most polluted in the whole wide world) and switch to my open backed full size can in the summers, with velour pads.

This is the only reason why I hesitate in buying closed back cans, oh the sweat!

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,969 of 4,743
Hey congrats on your Vsonic purchase Abhinav!
I'm sure you'll enjoy them a lot, most probably performing way ahead of their price bracket. Just like my experience with VSD1S.

Enjoy.
And don't get into a Headphones vs IEM's war here! A certain Chennai-ite gentleman swears by full size cans, and so do I for that matter (till I hear TOTL IEMs that is).

Cheers & happy listening!

Thanks Shreyas .. :) ..

Hmmmmm, none.

Right .. 

For all members here .. My Idea of Listening to Music is very different as i Said before. I can't enjoy music confined in my Room .. I am a Traveloholic  ... 

My Idea of Listening to Music is Sitting at the Bank of like Pangong Tso river that way SoundStage increases automatically  
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,970 of 4,743
Haha, that's nice. Request a transfer to a cooler location to be able to wear full size cans for longer. Very justified indeed!
biggrin.gif

I currently rotate between closed full size cans in the winter (thanks to the great NCR weather, the most polluted in the whole wide world) and switch to my open backed full size can in the summers, with velour pads.

This is the only reason why I hesitate in buying closed back cans, oh the sweat!

Haha exactly, cool weather rocks. Oh yeah, most polluted in the world. Take care NCR guys, you are breathing some pretty messed up air 
frown.gif

Good luck with that. I find earphones more convenient. Needless to say portable.

Thanks buddy.

My Idea of Listening to Music is Sitting at the Bank of like Pangong Tso river that way SoundStage increases automatically  
biggrin.gif

Haha this is amusing opinion! I like this concept.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,971 of 4,743
Abhinav:
Now that's a very useful comparison and that's the kind of specificity that the thread needs. Please check any thread and you'll find statements like This is the best etc etc and all they've done is to listen to two HPs at best.
I have listened to some IEMs but not as much as I would like to make a stated preference. I've listened to the UERM but preferred the HD 800 for example. I've tried brands like Klipsch, RMA, Hifiman (RE 400). Totally unimpressed even compared to the ATH M50. I've not tried a Noble or the Jerry Harvey lineup.
But I can understand your preferences and respect them. Fortunately for me, I have a desk set up both at work and at home so don't miss the IEMs. Even when I need portable stuff, I use the VModa XS or the Beyer T51. The one big advantage to having full size: no one bothers you. That's as clear a message one can send out:smile:

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,972 of 4,743
Abhinav:
Now that's a very useful comparison and that's the kind of specificity that the thread needs. Please check any thread and you'll find statements like This is the best etc etc and all they've done is to listen to two HPs at best.
I have listened to some IEMs but not as much as I would like to make a stated preference. I've listened to the UERM but preferred the HD 800 for example. I've tried brands like Klipsch, RMA, Hifiman (RE 400). Totally unimpressed even compared to the ATH M50. I've not tried a Noble or the Jerry Harvey lineup.
But I can understand your preferences and respect them. Fortunately for me, I have a desk set up both at work and at home so don't miss the IEMs. Even when I need portable stuff, I use the VModa XS or the Beyer T51. The one big advantage to having full size: no one bothers you. That's as clear a message one can send out:smile:

Haha sir my boss will smack me on my head if I go troll in the office with a big headphone on xD

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,976 of 4,743
  Psst... @kothganesh
HE1000 2999$.
:drumroll:

Haha Stax money sans the amp. On the plus side, initial reports say it pairs well with a number of different amps which is great news. Might be a fair price if that's the case. 

Take the HE6 for example, I got to try it with a number of amps and the only one I liked was the RSA Darkstar. The headphone alone falls somewhere between the LCD2 and LCD3 in terms of price which I think is acceptable, but another 3500 on top of that is out of the question for most of us. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,977 of 4,743
In my experience, there is no headphone amp that does the HE 6 any justice. So I threw caution to the winds and got a Mark Levinson 532H power amp. Man can the 6 sing! If any of you have the HE 6 don't bother with headphone amps. Get s good power/integrated stereo amp, connect to the speaker tsps( you will need an adapter cable) and feed the HE 6 lots of power. Trust me it can take it. The amp does not need to be expensive. 100 to 200 watts at 4 ohms or 8 ohms will do the trick. Just be very careful with the volume pot and increase the sound slowly. And always start at zero volume

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,978 of 4,743
@kothganesh
Mr Ganesh, I'd like your recommendation on a home use headphone, as a small but significant step up from the Senn HD558/598 series. How does your AKG 7xx Massdrop edition stack up against others in similar price range? Would there be others that you'd recommend?
Thanks in advance

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,979 of 4,743
@kothganesh
Mr Ganesh, I'd like your recommendation on a home use headphone, as a small but significant step up from the Senn HD558/598 series. How does your AKG 7xx Massdrop edition stack up against others in similar price range? Would there be others that you'd recommend?
Thanks in advance

And how do you prefer your sound? What kind of music will you be listening to? Will you use a dac/amp or a DAP or an I device?

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,980 of 4,743
And how do you prefer your sound? What kind of music will you be listening to? Will you use a dac/amp or a DAP or an I device?

I prefer as much detail as I can get out of the gear, preferably as much as the recording contains, and I would prefer a spacious sound, targeting the so called 'out of the head' presentation, if the gear allows. 
My music preferences nowadays are mostly non heavy rock & metal, folk, acoustic, progressive rock and a bit of Western classical (preferring piano based music), Carnatic classical, and some country thrown in as well. 

I currently do not own a desktop DAC, although my FiiO X3 is a pretty decent DAC in itself and sounds very good, in fact better than it sounds as a stand-alone DAP. It would currently be my source connected to the computer (if I'm listening at home). I have a US trip planned for later this year, and hope to buy a decent headphone first, before investing in another DAC. Thus I guess I would require a fairly easy to drive headphone, hence I was eyeing the Philips Fidelio line (lesser impedance, but said to scale up well with better sources), but want to listen to them first before investing.

Additionally I would prefer if the headphone can also be used as part of a home 'walk around' rig if you will, connected to my current portable X3+E07k combo.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back