Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,196 of 4,743
  Will PM the link to you. Haven't read the head-fi rules and don't want an infraction from an overzealous mod!

EDIT: Ignore the PM lol...thought you were asking about the ones on sale

Am on the verge of selling my HiFiMan EF6 if possible,as I hardly get time to sit at home these days, let alone buying one 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,197 of 4,743
  That's good to hear. Treble detail is too much to expect from a on-ear portable as the purpose of isolation might get defeated if the bass is not punchy and a tad bit elevated beyond neutral. I still believe the Beyer DT 1350 is the best isolating portables out there, followed by the T51P. SQ wise Aedle VK-1 is the best I've got but am yet to hear the Oppo PM-3 and Meze 99.  

As for the Sony MDR CD 3000, out of all the Dynamic Driver stuff I've heard it suits my preference, which is why I consider them the best DD's I've ever heard. The Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II is my reference for a number of years now and is still hard to beat, as to me it is the most natural sounding headphone out there because I've spent most of my hours of headphone listening with them and I believe people's preference towards sound signature is based upon what they are used to over a long period of time.

Anyway , CD 3000 is just everything one can ask in a headphone. It is the baby version of the Legendary MDR 10 and getting one in mint condition is not that easy. Larry over at headphile occasionally sells some mods or mint ones, you can always get one at Yahoo Japan and rarely on eBay. They are very efficient and can sound full bodied even from a phone, but obviously amplification helps a lot. 

Sony is yet to make a successor to the CD 3000, but the CD 1700 has the same drivers as the CD 3000, minus the angular driver design . For now, am not looking for any thing new in the Dynamic Driver world, as the CD3000 has proven its test of time, when it comes to other great Dynamic's like Beyer T1, Senn HD800 and AKG K501. Technically HD 800 is the best headphone I've heard, but to me it is not enjoyable or fun over long periods of listening and I may not have a lot of high-end amps, but the HD 800 was used with a HiFiMaN EF6, Ressonessence Labs Concero HP (DAC) and Amarra Symphony Mac, when I came to my conclusion. I'm eager to hear what the HD 800S has to offer, but I'll not buy anything high-end in DD or PM in the next few years. Am leaning towards the Electrostatic offerings now and hope to stick to it for the long run. 

So what are your long term ideas and directions that you intend to follow as a headphone enthusiast? 

I think you're right about the Beyer DT1350 & T51P in terms of best bang for buck for portable use from all the online material I've read, although I'm yet to listen to either.  And I'm very eager to listen to the Aedle VK-1; wonder why their French makers haven't come up with a new model yet since its been almost 3 years since they were released. 

Thanks for the info on the CD-3000; seems to be a long lasting value for many a proud buyer. Say, do the Yahoo Japan auctions ship to India? I've quite often stumbled across that website, but haven't spent any amount of time there. 

As for that last bit about my long term targets/ ambitions, I currently am leaning toward portable/ trans-portable setups (probably a tablet running full windows hooked to a good DAC-amp combo, that can be used either home or outside, just swap the cans) more as portable (battery powered/ direct power hybrid) sources are getting closer to desktop level sound more than ever (as far as I've read at least). But I'll never know till I listen to a truly high end desktop setup (like my good friend Mr Aniel '****zu' (oh, that's named after his dog breed by the way!) spent the other day at this fellow audiophile's place where he had an 'out of this world' audio enjoyment.)

I continually look for that 'wow' factor when I put on a headphone, or try a new setup, like I had when I put on the LCD 2, or even my Fidelio X2 for that matter. Hope this industry keeps its technology going, and hope we all get that bit more closer to our own ideas of audio nirvana.

Cheers & happy listening.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #3,198 of 4,743

I think you're right about the Beyer DT1350 & T51P in terms of best bang for buck for portable use from all the online material I've read, although I'm yet to listen to either.  And I'm very eager to listen to the Aedle VK-1; wonder why their French makers haven't come up with a new model yet since its been almost 3 years since they were released. 

Thanks for the info on the CD-3000; seems to be a long lasting value for many a proud buyer. Say, do the Yahoo Japan auctions ship to India? I've quite often stumbled across that website, but haven't spent any amount of time there. 

As for that last bit about my long term targets/ ambitions, I currently am leaning toward portable/ trans-portable setups (probably a tablet running full windows hooked to a good DAC-amp combo, that can be used either home or outside, just swap the cans) more as portable (battery powered/ direct power hybrid) sources are getting closer to desktop level sound more than ever (as far as I've read at least). But I'll never know till I listen to a truly high end desktop setup (like my good friend Mr Aniel '****zu' (oh, that's named after his dog breed by the way!) spent the other day at this fellow audiophile's place where he had an 'out of this world' audio enjoyment.)

I continually look for that 'wow' factor when I put on a headphone, or try a new setup, like I had when I put on the LCD 2, or even my Fidelio X2 for that matter. Hope this industry keeps its technology going, and hope we all get that bit more closer to our own ideas of audio nirvana.

Cheers & happy listening.

Thanks Shreyas nicely written and said. I am taking you shopping with me to buy my Hd800 next and probably the Mojo later Haha.True that audio experience was one of its kind. Image you have almost 8-9lacs equipment in front of you with cables touching the cost of a HD 800 one would really freak out. And now this friend would go shopping for almost 14000 $ for much higher equipment creme de la creme (Abyss + Caravlis liquid Gold Amp) Wow. Hats off there haha. The best part is again when it does come I would be glad to get to audit it  already getting goose pimples
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #3,200 of 4,743
And here I am still chilling in $50 zone xD

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #3,201 of 4,743
Yikes. All this high-end talk. Where're my budget-fi folk at!
ph34r.gif

On the 2016 wishlist for me:
  1. Sony h.ear on (Loved it at the meet, recommended to a few friends and they loved it too)
  2. MEE Audio P1 (Just may be the all rounder I'm looking for)
  3. DUNU Titan 3 (Loved the Titan 1 and the midrange focus in the Titan 3 would complement it.)
  4. xDuoo X3 (Now that they're making some progress on the Rockbox port)
  5. Newplast and glass wool to continue my Fostex T50RP mod (Once I finish building the damn power supply for the mic)
  6. Aurisonics Rockets (RE400 upgrade?)
  7. Vibro Veritas (Get some measurements going)
  8. Jaben hyperdynamic (The bees knees as per recent reports)
  9. Elecom PAR500 (Bluetooth receiver powerhouse 100mW x2)
  10. FLC8S (If I can stretch. Form factor puts me off though)

The waould-like-to-try list is too ling to post here :)

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,203 of 4,743
Quote:
  Yikes. All this high-end talk. Where're my budget-fi folk at!
ph34r.gif

We're still here!

Is Jaben's IEM on sale already? Didn't go to Jaben room at Canjam, but its 10 mins from work so might make a trip down to try it out. Eyeing the P1+Custom Sleeves but maybe not right away. 

I thought you'd graduated from budget-fi and left us behind @RambleOnRed!
o2smile.gif
(Except for your dogged RE1 pursuit)

Jaben have prototypes for sure (were available for audition at Canjam) and *some say* the release might be later this year <200$.

The P1 is particularly intriguing because, despite the over ear look, users (and MEE audio for that matter) say they can be worn straight down too.
Meelectronics usually have good discounts on their products. So, once the hype dies down, I'll keep an eye on Massdrop etc.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #3,204 of 4,743
  I thought you'd graduated from budget-fi and left us behind @RambleOnRed!
o2smile.gif
(Except for your dogged RE1 pursuit)

Jaben have prototypes for sure (were available for audition at Canjam) and *some say* the release might be later this year <200$.

The P1 is particularly intriguing because, despite the over ear look, users (and MEE audio for that matter) say they can be worn straight down too.
Meelectronics usually have good discounts on their products. So, once the hype dies down, I'll keep an eye on Massdrop etc.

My mee P1 have entered india and i will be receiving them this week.Will posts some impressions and pics.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #3,207 of 4,743
I'm guessing you probably have like a thousand pairs of 20$ IEMs.
wink.gif

Too many as per mainstream standards but not by audiophile standards :wink: Everything I own/owned is right there in my signature below. I'm okay with spending about $150 for a better IEM (Maybe aurisonics or trinity) but worried about custom charges and possible dislike of sound signature. For that I need a demo prior to ordering it. Maybe I'll get some on my probable upcoming trip to US. Fingers crossed. 

Do take a look at my album! (also in my signature)

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #3,208 of 4,743
Too many as per mainstream standards but not by audiophile standards :wink: Everything I own/owned is right there in my signature below. I'm okay with spending about $150 for a better IEM (Maybe aurisonics or trinity) but worried about custom charges and possible dislike of sound signature. For that I need a demo prior to ordering it. Maybe I'll get some on my probable upcoming trip to US. Fingers crossed. 

That's great. Its funny how nowadays the sound of a US trip is like a bargain for us headfiers; good gear on the cheap. Go for it my friend, get as many demos as you can, and get what you like.

Which are the places you'll be visiting?

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #3,209 of 4,743
sorry @RambleOnRed, i saw ur post today, was great to meet u again, hahaha canjam was a blast, met Ojaswi, Raghav there aswell, good to see all the Indian headfi'ers going global hahaha, cant wait for next yr... the auralic + he1000 was def my fav from the show, something about the balanced sound eh. :D

i need to save up for a hd800s myself, maybe if i manage to sell one of the kidneys hahahaaha

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #3,210 of 4,743
sorry @RambleOnRed, i saw ur post today, was great to meet u again, hahaha canjam was a blast, met Ojaswi, Raghav there aswell, good to see all the Indian headfi'ers going global hahaha, cant wait for next yr... the auralic + he1000 was def my fav from the show, something about the balanced sound eh. :D

i need to save up for a hd800s myself, maybe if i manage to sell one of the kidneys hahahaaha

Great to hear about your CanJam experience. Hope you get your HD800S, and also get to keep the kidneys intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back