Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #3,181 of 4,743
  That's great news. Now let's hope the customs authority are quick in their assessment and release of the item.

BTW what amp, source and DAC are you going to use to drive the HD 800? 

Thanks. yeah true lets hope the Mumbai Customs dispatches it fast.My first priority is to get the Hd800. For the time being I am going to use it with my iCan Micro amp and for the Dac I may get the Mojo but I am open to suggestions. Source I will keep my X5ii for the time being.

I physically had two demos of Hd800. 1st at the Senn Outlet  which was not very great & second at a friends place. I had the privilege to try balanced cables with woo audio WA22 Tube amp,  Auralic Stack (Tauraus & Vega)  and with the Chord Hugo. IT all took me to another world oblivious of whether I was there or not. I just freaked out  and have decided the Hd800 will be my flagship finally. haha

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #3,182 of 4,743
Something for our soon to be HD800 owner: http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Saw a pair for sale with worn out ear pads but otherwise perfect going for around 35,000 INR last week. Was hard to resist, but I sticking to my no upgrades for a year policy :p

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #3,183 of 4,743
  Something for our soon to be HD800 owner: http://www.head-fi.org/t/799494/totl-hp-shootout-2-abyss-hek-hex-hd800s-hd800-heavy-mod-hd800-stock-ygg-rok-stack

Saw a pair for sale with worn out ear pads but otherwise perfect going for around 35,000 INR last week. Was hard to resist, but I sticking to my no upgrades for a year policy :p

That is not bad a price for a used pair. About 7500 Rupees will get you new pair of original cushions and good to go. Are you buying it. If you are not buying it let me know and i am willing to check it out haha.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #3,184 of 4,743
I had the real great time in testing the Hd-800 at a friends place who has top notch equipment and Cardas Cables, Woo Audio Wa-22, Auralic Stack (Tauraus+ Vega) Hugo Chord  wow etc. These are the pics I took and audited all that you see in the pics. One of the best experience.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #3,185 of 4,743
Tyll's first hall of fame headphone of 2016 Meze 99 Classics. Let get a discussion going. Who here uses sealed on-ear over ear headphones for portable use? 

I use my newly acquired Sony h.ear On MDR100 AAP for portable use, mostly with my 1st gen FiiO X3 stand alone, and sometimes with E12A connected.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #3,186 of 4,743
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That is not bad a price for a used pair. About 7500 Rupees will get you new pair of original cushions and good to go. Are you buying it. If you are not buying it let me know and i am willing to check it out haha.

Think it's sold now, was listed for SGD 750. The Auralic stack is amazing isn't it? Heard it with the the HE1000 but I do prefer the 800S to the Hifiman can. It was the Vega, Taurus MKii and the Aries. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #3,187 of 4,743

Think it's sold now, was listed for SGD 750. The Auralic stack is amazing isn't it? Heard it with the the HE1000 but I do prefer the 800S to the Hifiman can. It was the Vega, Taurus MKii and the Aries. 

Agree the Auralic stack is out of the world. And Guess what this guy is so much into all this stuff now he is going further up. He is buying the Abyss & The Liquid Gold amp. He is going to put his Auralic stack for sale. Which I was that pocket ful to buy it hah  Out of boundaries for me. He will continue to retain his HD800 though  but I told him go for the S model so that I can get my hands on his haha. Fingers crossed though.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #3,188 of 4,743
  Tyll's first hall of fame headphone of 2016 Meze 99 Classics. Let get a discussion going. Who here uses sealed on-ear over ear headphones for portable use? 

I tried the Pandora VI on the train the other day, was a bit of a disaster. It doesn't seal all that well. Back to my trusty ciem for now. 

triportsad.gif

Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Agree the Auralic stack is out of the world. And Guess what this guy is so much into all this stuff now he is going further up. He is buying the Abyss & The Liquid Gold amp. He is going to put his Auralic stack for sale. Which I was that pocket ful to buy it hah  Out of boundaries for me. He will continue to retain his HD800 though  but I told him go for the S model so that I can get my hands on his haha. Fingers crossed though.

How was the Woo amp? I've heard its a good match for the HD800 too. 

The guy I bought the Pandora's from is selling his WA22 and Liquid Gold. Also saw a Liquid Carbon and a Burson SL with the ESS9018 DAC on sale today, all quite rare on the used forums locally. the good stuff always shows up when I go on an audio hiatus! 

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #3,189 of 4,743
  I tried the Pandora VI on the train the other day, was a bit of a disaster. It doesn't seal all that well. Back to my trusty ciem for now. 

triportsad.gif

The guy I bought the Pandora's from is selling his WA22 and Liquid Gold. Also saw a Liquid Carbon and a Burson SL with the ESS9018 DAC on sale today, all quite rare on the used forums locally. the good stuff always shows up when I go on an audio hiatus! 

The Wa22 was very very good I must say. Amongst all I could hardly make out the difference. All 3 Auralic, Wa22 & Hugo sounded like I was in another paradise. They are excellent match for Hd800
I will decide on the Burson after sometime due to budget restraint. :)  So you need to be around the Audio Haitus  to get your stuff you looking for I guess

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #3,190 of 4,743

triportsad.gif

Pandora Hope VI is okay in the suburbs and parks but in Trains/Plains it is not the best option out there, but in SQ alone it is hard to beat, when it comes to any other portable headphone out there. I usually stick to the Aedle VK-1 in crowdy places (Its convenient due to its size) and Sonus Faber Pryma in relatively quieter places in terms of ambient noise. 

I use my newly acquired Sony h.ear On MDR100 AAP for portable use, mostly with my 1st gen FiiO X3 stand alone, and sometimes with E12A connected.

Great. How do the Sony portables sound? I only have one Sony headphone in my inventory and it is by far the best sounding Dynamic Driver headphone I've ever heard, the Sony MDR CD-3000

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,191 of 4,743
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The Wa22 was very very good I must say. Amongst all I could hardly make out the difference. All 3 Auralic, Wa22 & Hugo sounded like I was in another paradise. They are excellent match for Hd800
I will decide on the Burson after sometime due to budget restraint. :)  So you need to be around the Audio Haitus  to get your stuff you looking for I guess

Is this guy present at the head-fi or any other forum? 

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,193 of 4,743
  Is this guy present at the head-fi or any other forum? 

I shall ask him I do not have any clue if he is on Head fi. Currently he has left for the USA. When he gets back I shall check. Lets hope he comes with the LIquid gold and Abyss so that I too get a trial of the same though I will not be very close to buying it haha.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,194 of 4,743

Great. How do the Sony portables sound? I only have one Sony headphone in my inventory and it is by far the best sounding Dynamic Driver headphone I've ever heard, the Sony MDR CD-3000

Wow, that's some heavy praise for the CD-3000, and after doing some reading online, it appears to be a universal favourite. Wonder if there's a successor continuing the legacy (MA-900 successor perhaps?).

Anyway, the 'h.ear on 100 AAP' seem to be quite good value, especially at under 10,000 INR that I got them for. Warm sounding, smooth treble, overall relaxed tonality. Good companion for short trips, in my opinion, especially for a city commute (I've used them mainly on the metro). For long trips, holidays, train journeys or the like, where you get to spend some more alone time with the headphone, I would've preferred a little more detail in the treble, and maybe some additional tightness in the bass. One slight con I feel is the sub par passive noise isolation. I noticed that my 3 year old Philips Citiscape Uptown, although inferior in detail retrieval overall, isolates wonderfully well.

But overall a very good headphone for the price I would say.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,195 of 4,743

Wow, that's some heavy praise for the CD-3000, and after doing some reading online, it appears to be a universal favourite. Wonder if there's a successor continuing the legacy (MA-900 successor perhaps?).

Anyway, the 'h.ear on 100 AAP' seem to be quite good value, especially at under 10,000 INR that I got them for. Warm sounding, smooth treble, overall relaxed tonality. Good companion for short trips, in my opinion, especially for a city commute (I've used them mainly on the metro). For long trips, holidays, train journeys or the like, where you get to spend some more alone time with the headphone, I would've preferred a little more detail in the treble, and maybe some additional tightness in the bass. One slight con I feel is the sub par passive noise isolation. I noticed that my 3 year old Philips Citiscape Uptown, although inferior in detail retrieval overall, isolates wonderfully well.

But overall a very good headphone for the price I would say.

That's good to hear. Treble detail is too much to expect from a on-ear portable as the purpose of isolation might get defeated if the bass is not punchy and a tad bit elevated beyond neutral. I still believe the Beyer DT 1350 is the best isolating portables out there, followed by the T51P. SQ wise Aedle VK-1 is the best I've got but am yet to hear the Oppo PM-3 and Meze 99.  

As for the Sony MDR CD 3000, out of all the Dynamic Driver stuff I've heard it suits my preference, which is why I consider them the best DD's I've ever heard. The Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II is my reference for a number of years now and is still hard to beat, as to me it is the most natural sounding headphone out there because I've spent most of my hours of headphone listening with them and I believe people's preference towards sound signature is based upon what they are used to over a long period of time.

Anyway , CD 3000 is just everything one can ask in a headphone. It is the baby version of the Legendary MDR 10 and getting one in mint condition is not that easy. Larry over at headphile occasionally sells some mods or mint ones, you can always get one at Yahoo Japan and rarely on eBay. They are very efficient and can sound full bodied even from a phone, but obviously amplification helps a lot. 

Sony is yet to make a successor to the CD 3000, but the CD 1700 has the same drivers as the CD 3000, minus the angular driver design . For now, am not looking for any thing new in the Dynamic Driver world, as the CD3000 has proven its test of time, when it comes to other great Dynamic's like Beyer T1, Senn HD800 and AKG K501. Technically HD 800 is the best headphone I've heard, but to me it is not enjoyable or fun over long periods of listening and I may not have a lot of high-end amps, but the HD 800 was used with a HiFiMaN EF6, Ressonessence Labs Concero HP (DAC) and Amarra Symphony Mac, when I came to my conclusion. I'm eager to hear what the HD 800S has to offer, but I'll not buy anything high-end in DD or PM in the next few years. Am leaning towards the Electrostatic offerings now and hope to stick to it for the long run. 

So what are your long term ideas and directions that you intend to follow as a headphone enthusiast? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back