Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,151 of 4,743

True that yet I must say companies stopped making electrets a while ago because they are more sloppy and distorted at lower frequencies. AKG K340 itself is a good example since it uses a DD for bass.

Definitely newer materials might be able to tackle this problem better but I wonder how satisfying a solution it will be for hi-end audio enthusiasts or will it be applicable to us at all. Warwick audio and their FFLs will find use in PA systems in offices and other requirements where saving space is necessary perhaps but a single complete solution is far from achievable with their current product. Here is an FR curve confirming roll off below 1000 Hz... Its very common that companies come up with a new name for old technologies and consequently call it an invention of their own ... That's a marketing gimmick. Of course Warwick uses a laminate of sorts but the underlying principle is not new as they claim it to be. 

http://www.warwickaudiotech.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Warwick%20Audio%20Data%20Sheet%20I.pdf

Which version of AKG K340 have you owned or heard to come to that conclusion about K340s? 

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #3,152 of 4,743
  Which version of AKG K340 have you owned or heard to come to that conclusion about K340s? 

Wow man you are like a hungry cat waiting to trap a mouse....Like I said I couldnt audition the AKG K340 less than a year ago coz the seller wanted me to buy it if I audition them.

... what is the conclusion you claim I make here? That the AKG K340 uses a DD for bass because electrets can't cough up the bass?Its a conclusion I can make by not listening/owning them. If you see a reason other than that to explain AKG's making a hybrid please enlighten me... I am curious.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #3,153 of 4,743
First of all I don't own the AK240 & 380 so it will be unfair on my part to compare it to QP1R or any other DAPs. All I can say that both the 240 & 380 are lifestyle products targeted at the luxury segment, I am all for it. I have only one problem with AK when they say it is the ultimate player. They said it when 240 came out and then they topped themselves with the 380. Here I am in agreement with Nathan Wright of Ohm-Image and Thomas Tsai of Cymbacavum with regard to TOTL AK players having quasi-polished UI & decent SQ which is not the representation of Ultimate. 

In terms of other TOTL DAP's I've talked with reputable reviewers, who say HiFiMan HM 901S with the Balanced Amp Module is the best DAP in terms of SQ out there, with the Questyle QP1R being on par in terms of SQ, minus the power to drive inefficient headphones at ridiculously loud levels. 

When it comes to DAPs other than Questyle's I've used amps to power inefficient headphones and one under-rated IEM (Ocharaku Nami). The characteristics of the amp kick in when it is paired with an DAP, that includes even QP1R. The internal amp of QP1R has an organic character, which becomes very addictive over time and even when you pair powerful amps, you go back to the QP1R solo as it stands on its own. 

That's really good to hear. Thanks again, cheers

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #3,154 of 4,743
One more difference between hd800 and hd700, on which i could not put a finger on yesterday has to be soundstage. Its presentation is much more different than usual. Imho Anyone claiming 700 has a huge soundstage is simply doing a disservice cause its not.

I was quiet surprised at how compact sound stage was when i switched back from 800. Then i let my brain adjust for some time and understood the difference. 800 has width while 700 has depth. 800 ss is like t1 or my akg k550 with more air and separation.

700 is like observing a painting from 2 feet away. Distance between painting and its size is comparable. But its still a small distance so stuff can sound in your face or far away cause of good depth. Also you see entire band at same time. Big reason why despite being quiet spacious it can maintain energy in music. Despite almost complete separation of instuments it maintains soundstage coherence well.

Hd800 is like observing a wall from 4 feet away. Distance from wall is insignificant compared to its size. Also you have to pick and choose which part of band you find most interesting and listen to it.

So i do think comparing ss on two is a bit orange to apples. Both have its strength and weaknesses.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3,155 of 4,743
One more difference between hd800 and hd700, on which i could not put a finger on yesterday has to be soundstage. Its presentation is much more different than usual. Imho Anyone claiming 700 has a huge soundstage is simply doing a disservice cause its not.

I was quiet surprised at how compact sound stage was when i switched back from 800. Then i let my brain adjust for some time and understood the difference. 800 has width while 700 has depth. 800 ss is like t1 or my akg k550 with more air and separation.

700 is like observing a painting from 2 feet away. Distance between painting and its size is comparable. But its still a small distance so stuff can sound in your face or far away cause of good depth. Also you see entire band at same time. Big reason why despite being quiet spacious it can maintain energy in music. Despite almost complete separation of instuments it maintains soundstage coherence well.

Hd800 is like observing a wall from 4 feet away. Distance from wall is insignificant compared to its size. Also you have to pick and choose which part of band you find most interesting and listen to it.

So i do think comparing ss on two is a bit orange to apples. Both have its strength and weaknesses.

Well described Vaibhav.For me hd-800 is trying to owe it haha.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,156 of 4,743
Guys....wanted suggestion on Indian Fusion music. I am bored with Jazz, Western classic, POP, etc.

I do not like Films songs as much, wanted to know where can I download/buy lossless good Fusion music. Did check local store in Banagalore, they have few MP3 128kbs CD, the quality sucks.

Please suggest. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3,157 of 4,743
  Guys....wanted suggestion on Indian Fusion music. I am bored with Jazz, Western classic, POP, etc.

I do not like Films songs as much, wanted to know where can I download/buy lossless good Fusion music. Did check local store in Banagalore, they have few MP3 128kbs CD, the quality sucks.

Please suggest. 

Does Gods Robots count?

The Headphonezone mixtape (free) has some interesting tracks too. 

Speaking of Headphonezone, How was your first Canjam experience @raghavsomani ?

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #3,161 of 4,743
Feb 28, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,163 of 4,743

Please suggest. 

Does Gods Robots count?

If you love fusion which also consist of elements of Jazz mixed with Sufi, Quawwali and Electronica. Listen to some Dhafer Youssef.  

Thanks for suggestions....mixtape has awesome sound quality like it a lot.
Sufi, Quawwali was good but only available on youtube. It would be even better if am also download some FALC.

But I found that I enjoy Jazz more, Norah Jones, Najee, Oscar Peterson, Pat Metheny, Marcus Miller pulled me back from Fusion music. While playing Fusion music,

I was surprised how flexible my current setup is Devialet 120 -> HE-6. I can configure Devialet to make HE-6 sound thunder like TH900 or like SR-009 (minus it's legendary airyness, that only electro can do)

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #3,164 of 4,743

Please suggest. 

Does Gods Robots count?

If you love fusion which also consist of elements of Jazz mixed with Sufi, Quawwali and Electronica. Listen to some Dhafer Youssef.  

Sufi, Quawwali was good but only available on youtube. It would be even better if am also download some FALC.

But I found that I enjoy Jazz more, Norah Jones, Najee, Oscar Peterson, Pat Metheny, Marcus Miller pulled me back from Fusion music. While playing Fusion music,

while playing fusion, I was surprised how flexible my current setup is Devialet 120 -> HE-6. I can configure Devialet to make HE-6 sound thunder like TH900 or like SR-009 (minus it's legendary airyness, that only electro can do)

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #3,165 of 4,743

I was surprised how flexible my current setup is Devialet 120 -> HE-6. I can configure Devialet to make HE-6 sound thunder like TH900 or like SR-009 (minus it's legendary airyness, that only electro can do)

Go to Ru Tracker, you'll find whatever you desire, even DSD. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back