Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,136 of 4,743
Originally Posted by ****zu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah even I was surprised how my rig X5II + E12A combo provided a fantastic sound on the Hd-800. It was well driven and did not have any issues. Really surprised haha.

Thanks for arranging meet sir. Looking forward to your purchase. I think it was convincing.

Good going guys, you've finally had a taste of the 800. May you be able to shell out 1.25L at the earliest for 800-S, Mr Aniel! :wink:

And who was it trying to connect it directly out of a smartphone?? The dealer? :D

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,138 of 4,743

Good going guys, you've finally had a taste of the 800. May you be able to shell out 1.25L at the earliest for 800-S, Mr Aniel! :wink:

And who was it trying to connect it directly out of a smartphone?? The dealer? :D

Yes the person who was called to show and demo the hd-800 was a dealer of Sennheiser I presume.
The S-model is way too costly for my budget Shreyas  and thinking of that  it comes with a catalyst....an amplifier another huge investment  oh boy 
gs1000.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,139 of 4,743
So you all are going to taste her then?
Yeah ride her and let her know who's her new sugar daddy. But take turns okay she can't handle more than one as she only has one port.
I'm not gonna forget her anytime soon, boy those nights she used to lay by my pillow so beautiful and enticing. I promised her she's only mine and nobody's gonna lay hand on her like I did with Rxmk3 & 3 fiios before her eventually she caught me cheating on her and since then things were never as they were before. Now I'm single and I think I have my eyes on someone but I suspect it's not gonna be easy, man she's way out of my league.

c.r.e.e.p.y.

Ahem, just kidding there. So who is it that is quite out of your league, that you're ogling away at? :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,140 of 4,743

My good sir, that's a great rig! 

Say, how would you rate that QP1R of yours compared to your favourite sound combo at the moment?

Sir, currently my favourite sound setup (Back at home) also includes the QP 1R as the source, along with my laptop or PC via a DAC (Dr. Dac DX2 or Ressonesence Lab HP Concero) . But I use the EF6 as my main headphone amp for all the hard to drive dynamic and orthodynamic headphones. For software I am using the Amarra Symphony 3.03, J River, Audirvana on Mac and FooBar /JRiver on widows.

My 2nd setup is the Piezo Electric Headphone system Taket H2+ and TR2+. Am using Yamaha AS500 Integrated amplifier to control the volume. The rig can sound marvellous, but it is short of adequate power. Might get a Marantz Integrated Amp next year. 

QP1R is like carrying a Class A desktop rig on the go, if you want to describe it in one sentence. That was the intention while buying that DAP. I do not use QP1R with any amp as it is self sufficient and has a current mode amplifier, which can take any IEM/headphone & make it sound euphonic. I would rate it at 9 out of 10, if my desktop rig is scaled at 10. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,141 of 4,743
  Sir, currently my favourite sound setup (Back at home) also includes the QP 1R as the source, along with my laptop or PC via a DAC (Dr. Dac DX2 or Ressonesence Lab HP Concero) . But I use the EF6 as my main headphone amp for all the hard to drive dynamic and orthodynamic headphones. For software I am using the Amarra Symphony 3.03, J River, Audirvana on Mac and FooBar /JRiver on widows.

My 2nd setup is the Piezo Electric Headphone system Taket H2+ and TR2+. Am using Yamaha AS500 Integrated amplifier to control the volume. The rig can sound marvellous, but it is short of adequate power. Might get a Marantz Integrated Amp next year. 

QP1R is like carrying a Class A desktop rig on the go, if you want to describe it in one sentence. That was the intention while buying that DAP. I do not use QP1R with any amp as it is self sufficient and has a current mode amplifier, which can take any IEM/headphone & make it sound euphonic. I would rate it at 9 out of 10, if my desktop rig is scaled at 10. 

Too many choices :scratch_chin:
I guess the EF6 is an overkill. No one needs MOAR power. Not even Mr. Clarkson.
The Taket H2 is like a mysterious headphone, with all sorts of fancy gadgetry. VERY interesting though.
Have you ever tried some audio-gd equipments?

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3,144 of 4,743

Great setups you have there, although yours truly hasn't gotten up to those levels of audiophilia (and cash!) yet, if I may so say.

That's very encouraging to hear about the QP1R, especially with regard to a stand alone DAP. So what is your opinion on, say, people using an AK380 or AK240 or any other top of the line DAP (that has more than enough power to drive a significant majority of headphones) paired with a dedicated portable amp, in spite of using easy to drive headphones or IEMS; would you say that this is done to alter the sound signature/ characteristics of the DAP by itself? This, assuming of course, you've had prior experience with a similar DAP.

Thanks again for your inputs, cheers

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,145 of 4,743

Hd800 directly out of cellphone might still sound like hd800.

But feeding that signal to big speaker amp thereby double amping then feeding via front jack to hd800 seems pretty ridiculous.

Good idea of bringing its performance to like hd201 level.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,146 of 4,743

I sadly haven't had a chance. I've only "read" about it and that it can authoritatively drive the HE-6. Am I wrong?

The EF-6 is indeed a powerful amp and it is the only amp I've used, which is capable of driving the HE-5, HD800 and even the most power hungry headphone I've ever used the AKG K340. Orthos are getting more efficient e.g the newer line of orthos Mr.Speakers, HE-X, HE 400S, Oppo (Exception LCD 4) but I am not getting into orthos anymore as they are getting ridiculously priced as time is going by. Am hopeful about Warwick Audio's cheaper solutions for Planar Magnetic and electrostats. 

I have not tried Audio-GD and frankly am not interested in their line as I am more keen on getting a Questyle CMA 800R or Headamp GS-X MK2 in the distant future. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,147 of 4,743
  Am hopeful about Warwick Audio's cheaper solutions for Planar Magnetic and electrostats. 

Warwick audio don't have solutions for planar mags... what they have now is a self biased electrostat or what is more commonly known as electret. Eitherway It will not be able to reproduce bass without distortion, I have explained why in an earlier post. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,148 of 4,743

Warwick audio don't have solutions for planar mags... what they have now is a self biased electrostat or what is more commonly known as electret. Eitherway It will not be able to reproduce bass without distortion, I have explained why in an earlier post. 

I see electrets gaining a lot of force behind them. Lots of companies trying them out since the past year or two.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,149 of 4,743

Great setups you have there, although yours truly hasn't gotten up to those levels of audiophilia (and cash!) yet, if I may so say.

That's very encouraging to hear about the QP1R, especially with regard to a stand alone DAP. So what is your opinion on, say, people using an AK380 or AK240 or any other top of the line DAP (that has more than enough power to drive a significant majority of headphones) paired with a dedicated portable amp, in spite of using easy to drive headphones or IEMS; would you say that this is done to alter the sound signature/ characteristics of the DAP by itself? This, assuming of course, you've had prior experience with a similar DAP.

Thanks again for your inputs, cheers

First of all I don't own the AK240 & 380 so it will be unfair on my part to compare it to QP1R or any other DAPs. All I can say that both the 240 & 380 are lifestyle products targeted at the luxury segment, I am all for it. I have only one problem with AK when they say it is the ultimate player. They said it when 240 came out and then they topped themselves with the 380. Here I am in agreement with Nathan Wright of Ohm-Image and Thomas Tsai of Cymbacavum with regard to TOTL AK players having quasi-polished UI & decent SQ which is not the representation of Ultimate. 

In terms of other TOTL DAP's I've talked with reputable reviewers, who say HiFiMan HM 901S with the Balanced Amp Module is the best DAP in terms of SQ out there, with the Questyle QP1R being on par in terms of SQ, minus the power to drive inefficient headphones at ridiculously loud levels. 

When it comes to DAPs other than Questyle's I've used amps to power inefficient headphones and one under-rated IEM (Ocharaku Nami). The characteristics of the amp kick in when it is paired with an DAP, that includes even QP1R. The internal amp of QP1R has an organic character, which becomes very addictive over time and even when you pair powerful amps, you go back to the QP1R solo as it stands on its own. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #3,150 of 4,743

I see electrets gaining a lot of force behind them. Lots of companies trying them out since the past year or two.

True that yet I must say companies stopped making electrets a while ago because they are more sloppy and distorted at lower frequencies. AKG K340 itself is a good example since it uses a DD for bass.

Definitely newer materials might be able to tackle this problem better but I wonder how satisfying a solution it will be for hi-end audio enthusiasts or will it be applicable to us at all. Warwick audio and their FFLs will find use in PA systems in offices and other requirements where saving space is necessary perhaps but a single complete solution is far from achievable with their current product. Here is an FR curve confirming roll off below 1000 Hz... Its very common that companies come up with a new name for old technologies and consequently call it an invention of their own ... That's a marketing gimmick. Of course Warwick uses a laminate of sorts but the underlying principle is not new as they claim it to be. 

http://www.warwickaudiotech.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Warwick%20Audio%20Data%20Sheet%20I.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back