Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #3,226 of 4,743
Where is the mini meet?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3,227 of 4,743
Any meets happening in Mumbai?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3,228 of 4,743

My mee P1 have entered india and i will be receiving them this week.Will posts some impressions and pics.

Exciting times!

Haha, I agree fully. My main aim would be to grab some lovable gear <3

I'd be going to Minneapolis. Don't know much about the place but would do my research well whenever the trip gets finalized. 

Godspeed you!

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,229 of 4,743
I'd like to join you guys if that's okay. I've always wanted to experience the fabled Earsonics midrange.

I don't really have gear that is on the same level as the gear on your list. Except maybe the now-discontinued HiFiMAN RE272 which many consider to be a treble presentation benchmark to this day.
I have no objections, you can join us if that's okay with musicinmymind, as he had the idea initially.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,230 of 4,743
  I thought you'd graduated from budget-fi and left us behind @RambleOnRed!
o2smile.gif
(Except for your dogged RE1 pursuit)

Haha this reminded me to bump my old thread! Those RE-1s are pure magic.I'm quite sure they'll sound great with the Mojo.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #3,231 of 4,743

I'd like to join you guys if that's okay. I've always wanted to experience the fabled Earsonics midrange.

I don't really have gear that is on the same level as the gear on your list. Except maybe the now-discontinued HiFiMAN RE272 which many consider to be a treble presentation benchmark to this day.

I have no objections, you can join us if that's okay with musicinmymind, as he had the idea initially.

More than happy if others are joining too, we can work out the venue in coming days. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,232 of 4,743

@xEcuToR
Onkyo has done a great job. 

Very accurate reproduction with no coloration and effortless driving power for most IEMs and headphones and thoroughly enjoyable. I just wish I owned a really great IEM or headphone like Shure SE 846s or Noble K10 or Ether C or even Final Lab Pandora/Sonorus VI that matched its efficiency. I only got to use it with my DUNU DN-2000J (8ohm) out of single ended in which the DAP is coloured by the IEM - treble-heavy, despite being detail-rich and hiss-free. I started appreciating the IEM a bit less as the sibilance is being noticed often after hours of use. The Sabre glare of the DAP in combination with the treble-orientedness of the IEM is getting to me. Otherwise, it is a wonderful DAP and a terrific value-for-money at $750, shipping and taxes included. Not to mention, I am yet to use the balanced-out of the DAP which is often confessed to be on par with summit-fi DAPs in $2k territory and the only self-respecting DAP apart from Questyle QP1R below $1K.

The DUNU issues evaporated once I moved to beyerdynamic DT 1350 (80ohm), supra-aural portables. But again limited by the headphone’s own unique issues - treble extension is decent in beyerdynamic’s own way, mids are good and personal enough but unlike full-size’s, bass is well-pronounced-enough for such small drivers. But the monitoring capabilities and neutral reproduction of the headphones did reach their optimum best for a portable when used with DP-X1 to read some tracks from SD card. But then again, you are still left with that feeling that your headphones are the weakest link and that you need a great pair that can match a great DAP to make the latter deliver home its best.

The incompleteness is a bit less felt when moved to circumaural beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro (250ohm), another decent one meant for studio applications. DP-X1 drives it well alone (75mWx2) and fully-well in combination with Oppo HA-2’s amplifier section or FiiO E12 Montblanc. Undoubtedly, very dependable for monitoring and mastering at home. Neutral Sabre DAC meets neutral headphone. I give 8/10 in analytical job, 6/10 in musicality. I just can’t wait for a firmware update for external USB DAC functionality which would let me use this in the studio out of my MacPro.

I am hoping it might find a great-enough match when my replacement beyerdynamic DT 1770 (250ohm/Tesla 2.0) arrive this week. And it could be an endgame-DAP for a many years, if I get lucky in acquiring a AAW W500 AHMorph or Empire Ears Zeus-XIV or Noble K10 or Spiral Ears SE-5Way Ultimate or Adel A12 with TRRS balanced 2.5mm termination in the months to come which I am not certain of doing, but then, hey, inshallah.

Build quality is superb, despite the super sharp edges that certainly can use a Dignis case which I am hoping to order to improve its lifespan in my shaky palms. A mere 200gm and palm-sized.

User interface is complaint-free, despite the initial rumours. Folder browsing has been realised. Frequency of firmware updates can put even mobile phones to shame. Uncustomized-Android 5.1.1 is great for just a DAP.  Sexy volume pot. Super wide EQ. 

Near-20-hour battery life when used in stand alone mode for high res tracks. 

Snapdragon Chip. 2GB RAM. Never ever felt shortchanged. Smooth flow.

Too bad Tidal and Spotify are not available in India as we can listen to MQA-quality streaming with this DAP after the next FW update. Plays everything including DSD files, not natively, though. USB Line-Out, if you have higher-end DACs like Hugo or ALO Continental or even a Mojo.

Wi-Fi 802.11AC is trouble-free. Bluetooth 4.0 aptX is a pure bliss. I connect my Yamaha HS8 speakers when I can’t use wires. DP-X1 brings a great set of features despite being in a DAP industry that is meant to play just music files on SD card, if you care or need or both. Except making calls. 

And the Sabre DACs, single in SE and dual in balanced, are felt to be available to 3rd party apps including everything that you can use on Android. I don’t have a great collection of songs. YouTube and TuneIn are my libraries.

Not to mention, two SD card slots, 200GB-supported in each, in addition to 32GB built-in.

Absolutely hiss-free, for any IEMs and headphones above 8ohm which is almost everything in market. SE impedance 0.5ohm, balanced 1ohm. Very respectable and sufficient, if not spectacular. Single amp 75mWx2 in SE and dual amp 150mWx2 in balanced-out can drive almost every headphones from 16ohm to 600ohm, including most planar magnetic elephants to good levels as reported by thread posters.

If you need a value-for-money DAP that can do more than just play music which it does great stand-alone, doesn’t need stacking to be enjoyed, live in one piece long enough without build issues, let you play the highest possible quality of music in the years to come, MQA for now, expand its uses through unlimited number of Android apps via streaming and Bluetooth, doesn’t need charging except at bedtime, make the most of your high-end headphones, stay as close to the source as possible except being in the same room, which, too, it can do, Onkyo DP-X1 is your best bet until the next hero makes an entry as they usually do every year. But for my ears, this one is great enough to be my partner for half-a-decade or more. That’s Rs.500 per month in investment for ownership. A decent one. Thank you, Red, my pal who made this possible, and thank you, all.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #3,234 of 4,743

1. If the DP-X-1 has access to playstore, download the Hola Unblocker first and if not download a copy of the APK file of Hola Unblocker and install it in DP-X1.
  2. Next Download the Spotify App from a browser with proxy to some country which supports Spotify like the US and then install the same in DP-X1.
  3. After both Spotify and Hola Unblocker is installed, launch the Hola Unblocker and open the Spotify from Hola.
  4. Register at Spotify and then access the Spotify app from Hola App. 
  5. Same thing should work with Tidal, but I don't know if Tidal has a Free version with Ads. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3,235 of 4,743
  How much did it cost? And available in India? 

$615+$70 FedEX+$180 Customs, actually.
Via http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1615&category=17
Trusted seller that offers cheapest rates within Japan that HeadFi users vouch for.
You can try Tenso agent to buy from amazon.jp too.
USA official release in April at $899 or $799.
Not available in India.
FiiO X7 is available in India at HeadphoneZone but DP-X1 is way better in many ways, I can say.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,236 of 4,743
If it costs $700 shipped, customs is likely going to be 35-40% on top of that.

Indian customs are not very reliable and can charge whatever they deem fit. But what they are actually supposed to charge is around 36% or so.

So about $250+ on customs if they go by the rule.

So you'll be out around $950 or so. Conversion included that is over INR 65k!

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,237 of 4,743

$615+$70 FedEX+$180 Customs, actually.
Via http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=1615&category=17
Trusted seller that offers cheapest rates within Japan that HeadFi users vouch for.
You can try Tenso agent to buy from amazon.jp too.
USA official release in April at $899 or $799.
Not available in India.
FiiO X7 is available in India at HeadphoneZone but DP-X1 is way better in many ways, I can say.

I see.. India customs charge some hefty amount. Yup, reading really good reviews about DP-X1. Top notch sound + convenience of having Android (I totally love PowerAmp's interface and Neutron Player's sound) makes it worth. Anyway these prices are norms now for upper tier DACs.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,238 of 4,743

1. If the DP-X-1 has access to playstore, download the Hola Unblocker first and if not download a copy of the APK file of Hola Unblocker and install it in DP-X1.
  2. Next Download the Spotify App from a browser with proxy to some country which supports Spotify like the US and then install the same in DP-X1.
  3. After both Spotify and Hola Unblocker is installed, launch the Hola Unblocker and open the Spotify from Hola.
  4. Register at Spotify and then access the Spotify app from Hola App. 
  5. Same thing should work with Tidal, but I don't know if Tidal has a Free version with Ads. 

DONE!
I am doing Spotify from India via Netherlands. :)

Thanks a ton @xEcuToR!!

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #3,240 of 4,743
Hello friends, what should I choose? FLC8s or pinnacle P1 or Flare audio r2a? Also can we avoid customs by devaluing the package or marking it as a gift??

I'm thinking of getting a pair of universals as well. I was looking at the P1 and FLC8S too. Not really keen on anything with fixed cables.

I almost never play with EQ on my DAP/phone, so I'm not sure if I'll ever make full use of the filters with the FLC8S. It's just me being very lazy more than anything else :)

I'm buying a pair of the FLC8S IEMs for a friend, so I should be able to demo them as well. The P1's sound signature appeals to me, its cheaper than the FLC8S as well which makes me favour it slightly. 

Customs is never certain. I don't think Mee Audio or Amazon will undervalue anything for you. LUME who carry the FLC8S probably will. Head back a few pages, there's an extensive discussion on customs. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back