Rolex or Breitling
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my question would be, are rado ceramicas fragile ? i really want one, but everyone tells me that the ceramic bracelate will crack on the first impact..

Rado ceramicas are very reliable and durable. Know many friends and co-workers who have owned them for years. The only time I saw any problem w/ a Rado was an original where the owner's son playing with it knicked it. For the record I own a Rado original.
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #92 of 105
Can anyone recommend me a good Watch forum, similar to headfi where I could do some reading up on the various Watch companies. I would really like to have some informed opinion before I make any purchase decisions.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #98 of 105
Apr 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #99 of 105
Can I say a few words I agree 100 percent i have to autos and i like my quartz's much more, I am a guy who switches watches each day and may not go back the start of my rotation for a week I do not want to re set watches each day and do not want a auto winder i just want to put it on and fly out the door to work. i can not stand the way auto people feel quartz is beneath them, i think they are great and are accurate and matinees free. and I love my Breitling quartz and would not trade for a Rolex. my rotation is 3 different Tags which I love 1 Breitling a Movado bold black out and a Lumonox for beating around the house on weekends, Go with the breitling i could have went to Rolex when I got it real happy with it and honestly my tags are as good as any watch 2 formula ones and a aquaracer  be different go BREITILING

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #100 of 105
Ozz's statement couldn't get any further from the truth. Beginning around 2005-2006, Rolex started releasing new references and/or updated versions of their sport-tool watches like, the Submariner, Daytona, Explorer and Explorer II and GMT Master II models (among others.) All anyone has to do is go into a pawn shop or a jeweler, or even just go online to Chrono24, eBay or ANY one of the thousands of web-based watch dealers to see that, in FACT, the previous references STILL command the EXACT SAME prices they commanded prior to the release of the updated reference. And oftentimes they're bringing MORE money than they were before! Frankly, among collectors in particular, the older references are now in even HIGHER demand than they once were because Rolex has officially ceased to produce those models and will never manufacture them again. Indeed, by way of example, a late-70s or early-80s vintage GMT Master II ref. 16700, for instance, easily brings more than $7500 in good condition, which is anywhere from $500 to $2,000 MORE than you can buy a newer (2009 and up) ceramic bezel Reference 116710 for. So...the reality of the situation is basically the exact OPPOSITE of what you're claiming.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #101 of 105
Rolex or Breitling I'll take neither.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #102 of 105
Can I say a few words I agree 100 percent i have to autos and i like my quartz's much more, I am a guy who switches watches each day and may not go back the start of my rotation for a week I do not want to re set watches each day and do not want a auto winder i just want to put it on and fly out the door to work. i can not stand the way auto people feel quartz is beneath them, i think they are great and are accurate and matinees free. and I love my Breitling quartz and would not trade for a Rolex. my rotation is 3 different Tags which I love 1 Breitling a Movado bold black out and a Lumonox for beating around the house on weekends, Go with the breitling i could have went to Rolex when I got it real happy with it and honestly my tags are as good as any watch 2 formula ones and a aquaracer  be different go BREITILING

Grand Seiko 9F is a true watch makers movement, maybe not in the traditional sense but people who look down on quartz and just see a Quartz are just ridiculous, just like the people who pay thousands for a watch with a stock ETA.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #103 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshmeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't know what you're talking about.. perhaps you run with a crowd of bling infested posers.

What you wrote does not happen. Merely a myth perpetuated by persons who wish they had a Rolex, I suppose.

Cheers,

Mike

Not really. I had a Rolex in college and I got asked about it's authenticity all the time. And for the record, it was because of the fact that I didn't hang around with bling infested posers; I really didn't look like the Rolex "type."

I think that's why I eventually got sick of it and sold it. A Rolex is a mechanical and artistic wonder, but let's face it, they are the ultimate in "Look at me, I'm richer than you!" watches. Now I wear Movados; they're much more understated while still being beautiful pieces of art. And I use the extra money to get more important stuff, like overpriced audio
biggrin.gif

Seems to me that was just a symptom of being a juvenile college-age student with no real life experience to speak of amongst yourself and your peers. Mike is correct: You don't know what you're talking about. In real life -- and I do mean ADULT life -- people don't go around asking their colleagues if their Rolex is "fake" or "real" primarily because it is not only rude and in poor taste but because nobody actually cares. People just assume it is real because it most likely IS real. The market for a "Faux-lex" is precisely your demographic: Males, aged 16-24. And sure, of course your little college buddies asked if your Rolex was real. They can't afford to purchase one, probably would've liked to own one, and wondered how/where/when/why the heck you were wearing one.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #105 of 105
Can anyone recommend me a good Watch forum, similar to headfi where I could do some reading up on the various Watch companies. I would really like to have some informed opinion before I make any purchase decisions.

By far the best forum out there for watches is Watch-U-Seek. Www.watchuseek.com Be warned though. Watches are worse than audio gear for sucking your wallet dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back