Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Mar 22, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #601 of 718
“We are a terrible influence on each other!” That’s a true statement! It’s the first time I recommended a tube though. Hope you like it. For the first time I’m listening and saying to myself “this sounds good BUT, I wish this or that was better”.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #602 of 718
“We are a terrible influence on each other!” That’s a true statement! It’s the first time I recommended a tube though. Hope you like it. For the first time I’m listening and saying to myself “this sounds good BUT, I wish this or that was better”.
Was supposed to say “and not saying”. Was one finger typing on my phone as I’m heading out the door for work.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #603 of 718
Was supposed to say “and not saying”. Was one finger typing on my phone as I’m heading out the door for work.
Thanks for the clarification, and reading your impressions I assumed there was supposed to be a "not" in there. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #604 of 718
The Ken-Rad 5814 "Pewter Plate" is in the house and I have it playing in my Pendant SE listening with my Verite Closed and it's a winner no doubt. :smile: This one is from 51', and it's got a crazy clean sounding midrange, that is present and even with depth that seems to go forever. The bass is tight, deep and textured and hits when called on with good weight, and is of high quality with detail, not the boomy kind. The highs have sparkle with zero harshness, and I can really crank the volume with this tube and I am loving it. Another cool thing about this tube is how there is this inner glow and good instrument separation in the mids, that lets you focus on one thing at a time and hear all the little nuances better. Lastly, the holographic staging is in full effect and it's just a killer sounding tube that is a blast to listen with. Thanks to @4LoveOfSound for taking a chance on this one and for the great recommendation. For your first tube recommendation, you nailed it out of the park. :beerchug:

20220325_133815.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #605 of 718
I'm listening to that Ken-Rad with my VC on the RH-5 right now. I really enjoy this tube! Glad you like it too! At some point, I'll have to try it with the Pendant SE.

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #606 of 718
The Ken-Rad 5814 "Pewter Plate" is in the house and I have it playing in my Pendant SE listening with my Verite Closed and it's a winner no doubt. :smile: This one is from 51', and it's got a crazy clean sounding midrange, that is present and even with depth that seems to go forever. The bass is tight, deep and textured and hits when called on with good weight, and is of high quality with detail, not the boomy kind. The highs have sparkle with zero harshness, and I can really crank the volume with this tube and I am loving it. Another cool thing about this tube is how there is this inner glow and good instrument separation in the mids, that lets you focus on one thing at a time and hear all the little nuances better. Lastly, the holographic staging is in full effect and it's just a killer sounding tube that is a blast to listen with. Thanks to @4LoveOfSound for taking a chance on this one and for the great recommendation. For your first tube recommendation, you nailed it out of the park. :beerchug:

Those silver clips (securing the plate "ears" poking through the micas) remind me of one of my favorite tubes - the GE triple mica black plate 5751. The "silver clips" variant of 5751 was only made for a couple of years (53 and 54), and is better sounding than other 5751 TM BP variants. Ken Rad was absorbed into GE before 1950, so your 5814 is kinda a Ken-Rad / GE tube. Looks like a great tube!! I didn't know they made a 12AU7/5814 with silver clips like that, or I'd have tried to buy some. You can imagine how those clips involved extra cost & labor, so they abandoned that practice pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #607 of 718
@Wes S , have you noticed a long warm up period for the CBS 12bh7? I wasn’t very impressed by this tube with my limited use of it. Last night I decided to give it another listen, but let it warm up for a couple hours first. Man oh man did it sound awesome! I usually just turn the amp on and go. This was a first to pre-heat before listening.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #608 of 718
@Wes S , have you noticed a long warm up period for the CBS 12bh7? I wasn’t very impressed by this tube with my limited use of it. Last night I decided to give it another listen, but let it warm up for a couple hours first. Man oh man did it sound awesome! I usually just turn the amp on and go. This was a first to pre-heat before listening.
I have come to the same conclusion and I think the bigger plates just need more time to warm up. The CBS-HYTRON 12BH7 is an insanely good tube with the VC. I usually always let my tube amps run for a good 30 minutes before listening, but I have listened immediately a few times recently and the 12BH7 can sound a bit slow, congested/muddy at first, but it sure does open up after a little warmup and become the best tube I have ever heard. The linearity in the upper mids and treble is perfect and then the bass and stage are next level as well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #609 of 718
Finally put the Sylvania 5814's back in. Not quite as refined as the Ken-Rad. Bass is deep but not as well defined. It's a little bloated. Mids are very nice and "smooth". Again, the strongest suit of this tube. The highs are nice, but the Ken-Rad just has a nice non-fatiguing sparkle to them. I still enjoy the Sylvania's for sure! I do think the 51' Ken-Rad is better though. I switched because I think I have a Ken-Rad going bad. My left channel has developed crackling in it. Doesn't happen with the Sylvania's, I think it's safe to assume it's not the RH-5 and it is a tube issue.

May 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #610 of 718
Just wanted to give the RH-5 a little love. I’m rocking the RH-5 with a set of 1952 GE/KenRad pewter plates. I’m kinda stuck on Ken-Rad tubes at the moment. Not feeling a need to try anything else.

May 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #611 of 718
Just wanted to give the RH-5 a little love. I’m rocking the RH-5 with a set of 1952 GE/KenRad pewter plates. I’m kinda stuck on Ken-Rad tubes at the moment. Not feeling a need to try anything else.

Nice!

My RH-5 has unfortunately not been getting the love it deserves and I'm not too thrilled with that fact.

I'm hoping that in September or October I'll get a new DAC for my headphone station that has both unbalanced and balanced outputs. The unbalanced for my SET amp and the balanced for the RH-5.

The RH-5 is currently running pre-amp duties for my two-channel system. But the reality is that I'm just not listening to music with the two-channel system much. So I need to reconfigure things.

Anyway, glad you're loving the Ken-Rad tubes. Enjoy the RH-5 and enjoy the music!

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #612 of 718
In the not too distant future, I plan to use the RH-5 as a pre-amp for two channel and headphone duties in one room, and my Pendant SE for headphones in another room. Currently I run balanced out from my Yggy to the RH-5 and RCA out to the Pendant in the same room. I go back and forth between the two.

May 13, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #613 of 718
You are stuck on the Ken-Rad for a good reason, as there really is nothing better. :wink: I just rolled one from 52' in my Pendant SE, and it really is as good as it gets. The bass is first class, and is so big and powerful it's insane, and the mids are detailed and clear with a bit of upper mid lower treble emphasis to help cut through that huge bass, and the highs are smooth yet still extended. The staging is also first class and very immersive and it makes for a wild ride with my VC's. Honestly, this just might be the best tube I have ever had in the driver spot of my Pendant, and the cool thing is they are really easy to find and are very affordable. There really is nothing better (literally) than some good old American made tubes from the 50's. . .

Happy listening!

May 16, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #615 of 718
Hi,

I have purchased the RH5 and will receive it soon.
Can someone write me what type of fuse is inside.
Is it the size of 6.3x32 mm? It looks big in the photo.
I am interested Hifi Tuning fuse, which I have in all the set.

Thank's
Mark
‘Large’ (6.3x32mm), T (timed/slow), 1A (ampere).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back