The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 7, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,516 of 88,549
I tried one of their IEMs that @SBranson though I don't remember the name. Someone was reccing the Turi to me recently...@ranfan perhaps? (BTW @ranfan have you heard the Crassi?)

(Fluck me what's wrong with me...I shouldn't be considering another IEM purchase right now lol)
It was the RSV

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,517 of 88,549
I'm honestly surprised I haven't read more about Oriolus' IEMs in the last few years.

Edit: Here is the Turii...it's quite an interesting looking IEM.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.59.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,518 of 88,549
I tried one of their IEMs that @SBranson though I don't remember the name. Someone was reccing the Turi to me recently...@ranfan perhaps? (BTW @ranfan have you heard the Crassi?)

(Fluck me what's wrong with me...I shouldn't be considering another IEM purchase right now lol)
Yes I have :) They were OK. It was kinda weird hearing a hybrid tuned with a flat signature (although it has some lift in bass)

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,519 of 88,549
Yes I have :) They were OK. It was kinda weird hearing a hybrid tuned with a flat signature (although it has some lift in bass)

Oh interesting-- I keep reading they're the followup to the Reborn which got massively good reviews. Have you heard the Reborn and would you concur? That was an epic post I don't know how I missed it the first time...man I wish there was somewhere I could go to try so many IEMs at once.

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #1,520 of 88,549
I'm honestly surprised I haven't read more about Oriolus' IEMs in the last few years.

It’s because they previously weren’t demo-able outside of Asia. The only coverage of Oriolus then (i.e. the Forsteni, Percivalli, etc.) were usually from Head-Fi’ers based in Japan like @ranfan. Even the first Trailli review that came out was from About Audio, who’s based in Hong Kong, I believe. That only changed when Andrew and MusicTeck picked them up. I think the first piece of recent Western coverage of Oriolus was Alex’s Mellianus review, so it’s very recent.

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #1,521 of 88,549
It’s because they previously weren’t demo-able outside of Asia. The only coverage of Oriolus then (i.e. the Forsteni, Percivalli, etc.) were usually from Head-Fi’ers based in Japan like @ranfan. Even the first Trailli review that came out was from About Audio, who’s based in Hong Kong, I believe. That only changed when Andrew and MusicTeck picked them up. I think the first piece of recent Western coverage of Oriolus was Alex’s Mellianus review, so it’s very recent.

I'd love to try a DD based hybrid by them with a musical character and the same mid-range sweetness of the Isa. It doesn't sound like the Crassi is it-- do you any recs along those lines? I was thinking possibly of the Reborn. I actually remember the Mellianus (huh huh anus) appearing in @twister6 signature alongside his other (at the time) favourite IEMs the Solaris and u18t. I didn't think anything of it at the time as there was simply no coverage or exposure to that brand anywhere else within range of my investigations.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,522 of 88,549
I'd love to try a DD based hybrid by them with a musical character and the same mid-range sweetness of the Isa. It doesn't sound like the Crassi is it-- do you any recs along those lines? I was thinking possibly of the Reborn. I actually remember the Mellianus (huh huh anus) appearing in @twister6 signature alongside his other (at the time) favourite IEMs the Solaris and u18t. I didn't think anything of it at the time as there was simply no coverage or exposure to that brand anywhere else within range of my investigations.
I literally just paid the import fees for the Isa, so I’ll only be able to answer your question tomorrow, probably. :D I’ve never heard of the Crassi, nor the Reborn. I think one of the only recent Oriolus IEMs I have heard is the Mellianus. I remember it sounding fairly bright and crisp; A8000-ish to a degree. So, they’ve definitely taken a different direction since then with the Trailli and the Isa from what I understand.

Jul 7, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #1,523 of 88,549
I literally just paid the import fees for the Isa, so I’ll only be able to answer your question tomorrow, probably. :D I’ve never heard of the Crassi, nor the Reborn. I think one of the only recent Oriolus IEMs I have heard is the Mellianus. I remember it sounding fairly bright and crisp; A8000-ish to a degree. So, they’ve definitely taken a different direction since then with the Trailli and the Isa from what I understand.

Nice looking forward to your impressions!

Jul 7, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #1,525 of 88,549

Almost bought one from the Penon Audio few months back.. retracted a bid as it looked uncomfortable.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,526 of 88,549
Oh interesting-- I keep reading they're the followup to the Reborn which got massively good reviews. Have you heard the Reborn and would you concur? That was an epic post I don't know how I missed it the first time...man I wish there was somewhere I could go to try so many IEMs at once.
Yes, I think the Reborn is a more refined version of the Oriolus Mk2. They're tuned almost the same, but with the Reborn having a higher definition (less grain), and tighter bass response. The Mk2 was my second entry to high-end IEMs above $500 that I purchased, after my first one, the now discontinued Empire Ears Supra :) Back then I was looking primarily for bassy IEMs, and the Mk2 with its v-shaped signature and DD bass fit the bill quite well. I'm fond of it personally, they're very fun to listen to

If you come visit here someday, we should meet up and eat some ramen together :smiley:

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,527 of 88,549
Yes, I think the Reborn is a more refined version of the Oriolus Mk2. They're tuned almost the same, but with the Reborn having a higher definition (less grain), and tighter bass response. The Mk2 was my second entry to high-end IEMs above $500 that I purchased, after my first one, the now discontinued Empire Ears Supra :) Back then I was looking primarily for bassy IEMs, and the Mk2 with its v-shaped signature and DD bass fit the bill quite well. I'm fond of it personally, they're very fun to listen to

If you come visit here someday, we should meet up and eat some ramen together :smiley:
Count me in. I remember we had ramen when you came over for CanJam SG. I’d love nothing more than to return the favor. :D

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #1,528 of 88,549
Count me in. I remember we had ramen when you came over for CanJam SG. I’d love nothing more than to return the favor. :D
Yes, definitely. SG ramen's a mix of Chinese men (noodles) and Malay sauce. They're quite the delicacy and flavor. Japanese ramen on the other hand
111.jpg
The vaccination certificate is I think the main issue hindering travel. Once you get it we can go again :)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,529 of 88,549
Very quick impressions of the Oriolus Isabellae with the Sony ZX507, uncapped.

Note that I haven't listened to the Sony M9 while waiting for the Isabellae; comparisons will come at a later stage.

Prior getting them, my fear were the shallow, thick, nozzle and a sound signature leaning towards the bright side.

I am so far extremely pleased. They convey emotions in most subtle ways which is something worth experiencing.

The low-end isn't shy, the treble isn't harsh, and the vocals are where they should be without becoming annoying.

Comfort-wise, they're a pass with the stock tips which is unexpected

Well, this is an unexpected turn of events. Let me explain.

I take out the Sony IER-M9 to compare them to the Oriolus Isabellae...

My god the M9 sound dark and laid-back in comparison. Back to the Isabellae...

Oh yeah, that's more like it but perhaps a bit bright? I wonder if something in the middle would be perfection...

My head turns towards my nicely repacked Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 listed for sale -- **** it, let's do it...

crap, is this it?

* * *​

Bottom-line, with our hearing which can adapt to pretty much everything, A/Bing will reveal major contrasts, the shorter the comparison, the bigger the contrasts.

The longer the comparison -- i.e. one song/album/hour with one IEM and then another -- the smaller the contrasts though YMMV based on your hearing, preferences and sensibilities.

Do I still believe that the Sony ZX507 x IER-M9 is an end-game combo? Yes. I think it's safer to recommend given how laid-back yet detailed and musical it is, so perfect for someone who wants to spend 2k and call it a day.

For those of us who want / are fortunate to compare and experience, it's a different story however.

When I got the M9, I mainly compared them to the Solaris 2020 with the M9 plugged on the ZX507, and the Solaris 2020 to the Shanling M6 Pro.
Having previously written a piece on synergy, I should have known better but human psychology and bias are what they are.

Anyway, so how do the Oriolus Isabellae (1) compare to the Sony-IER-M9 (2) and Solaris 2020 (3)?

This is how I compare/hear them:

Laid-back - - (2) - - Balanced (3) - - (1) - - Bright

With that said, the Isabellae are subtle enough that their brightness do not imply a harsh nor a sibilant high-end.
The caveat here is that stock tips and overall comfort moved on from pass to no-go for me after longer listening sessions :frowning2:

So the next step is getting the SpinFit CP155 and CP500 and if I can't make them work with them (knowing that SpinFit never really worked for me), I'll have to let the Isa go without getting to know the full potential they clearly have.

6B5EDBCD-B152-412D-A77D-BEF7F1DAACBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,530 of 88,549
Well, this is an unexpected turn of events. Let me explain.

I take out the Sony IER-M9 to compare them to the Oriolus Isabellae...

My god the M9 sound dark and laid-back in comparison. Back to the Isabellae...

Oh yeah, that's more like it but perhaps a bit bright? I wonder if something in the middle would be perfection...

My head turns towards my nicely repacked Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 listed for sale -- **** it, let's do it... crap, is this it?

* * *​

Bottom-line, with our hearing which can adapt to pretty much everything, A/Bing will reveal major contrasts, the shorter the comparison, the bigger the contrasts.

The longer the comparison -- i.e. one song/album/hour with one IEM and then another -- the smaller the contrasts though YMMV based on your hearing, preferences and sensibilities.

Do I still believe that the Sony ZX507 x IER-M9 is an end-game combo? Yes.

I think it's safer to recommend given how laid-back yet detailed and musical it is, so perfect for someone who wants to spend 2k and call it a day.

For those of us who want / are fortunate to compare and experience, it's a different story.

When I got the M9, I mainly compared them to the Solaris 2020 with the M9 plugged on the ZX507, and the Solaris 2020 on the Shanling M6 Pro.
Having previously written a piece on synergy, I should have known better but human psychology and bias are what they are.

Anyway, so how do the Oriolus Isabellae (1) compare to the Sony-IER-M9 (2) and Solaris 2020 (3)?

This is how I compare/hear them:

Laid-back - - (2) - - Balanced (3) - - (1) - - Bright​

With that said, the Isabellae are subtle enough that their brightness do not imply a harsh nor a sibilant high-end. The caveat here is that stock tips and overall comfort moved on from pass to no-go for me.

So the next step for me is getting the SpinFit CP155 and if I can't make them work with the them (knowing that SpinFit never really worked for me so my hopes aren't up), I'll have to let the Isa go without getting to know the full potential they clearly have.

6B5EDBCD-B152-412D-A77D-BEF7F1DAACBF.jpeg
That's a very intresting comparison, precisely because I could not handle Solaris OG's brightness. I know you are talking about the Solaris 2020, but do you have any experience with the Solaris OG? Is the Isa similarly bright as Solaris OG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back