The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #856 of 87,487
Enjoying a brisk sunrise this morning with some great new King Gizz. By coincidence I had grabbed the BLON mini to try out a cheap new cable I got this week, so yeah 25 dollars in my pocket.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #858 of 87,487
Very similar circumstance here :)

This song plus Elysium = bliss.

Just the album cover takes me straight back to Tokyo autumn 1993. Never forget hearing this at the Shibuya HMV one Saturday afternoon, had to buy it on first listen.

Jun 12, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #859 of 87,487
Time to introduce Wolf Alice

Extremely talented band, they can go hard too

Giant Peach was really good here

Mate, thanks for sharing those live segments. Wolf Alice new one is the feature album on TripleJ this week, really enjoying it.

I had always hoped they'd do more of the hard stuff:

But full credit to them for mixing it up.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #862 of 87,487
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #863 of 87,487
The distinct IEMs you're describing are my personal favourites to review as well. They're easy to talk/write about, and they're easy to recommend (or suggest people look away from) as well. Whereas, when I hear an IEM for the first time and my immediate impression is that it just sounds there, that's when the groans and sighs start coming in. :D As an example, Ryan from THL graciously sent over his Moondrop Starfield recently; not for me to review, but just to listen to as a reference for a Harman-sounding IEM. My immediate thoughts were that it sounded normal or safe. It didn't try to do anything particularly bold tonally or spatially. Now, that can easily be everything someone's looking for in an IEM. But, given the amount of IEMs I've listened to, I'm now gravitating towards the odd or unique, whether it be by having a distinctly-coloured tone or by presenting colourlessness in a unique way.

I am 100% with you there-- there needs to be something that stirs and engages me emotionally. I know there are people who can non-ironically listen to the ER4 for enjoyment-- but for me it comes off more as a tool for analysis than means of enjoyment. I need something colorful and visionary and ultimately brimming with humanity for me to really connect with it.

I think, when it comes to immersion vs. analysis, or diving in vs. stepping back, it tends to depend on the IEM you're listening to. That's why I describe certain in-ears as having compact, orderly instruments ideal for analysis, and others as having wet, resonant notes that create a looser, more cohesive image; where instruments intermingle and pull you in. I certainly believe the type of sound the IEM has does dictate how we listen to it somewhat. An IEM like JH Audio's Jolene has a stage that's so big, that instruments are innately pulled further apart than they would be on, say, Stealth Sonics' far richer, far more intimate-sounding C9 Pro. Instruments on the original DITA Dream lined the outer perimeter of the stage, rather than the centre, which made it difficult to immerse into, as another example. So, yeah, I definitely think the IEM has a large say in how we'd tend to interact with the music.

Myself and @SBranson have often made similar observations comparing Campfire and Empire IEMs. EE IEMs (like the Bravado and LX) are staged as though you are in the audience and everything is coming at you. Campfire IEMs, by comparison, generally provide a more immersive experience in that you feel as though you're in the thick of the action rather than a passive observer to it.

Just the album cover takes me straight back to Tokyo autumn 1993. Never forget hearing this at the Shibuya HMV one Saturday afternoon, had to buy it on first listen.

Same here man it was my first year out of high school and the world was my oyster. I really wish they made followup album. Just recently I came across for the first time the following demo version of one of my favorite songs from that album:

Excellent work man I'm so stoked.

In other news some Saturday grooves:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #864 of 87,487
Myself and @SBranson have often made similar observations comparing Campfire and Empire IEMs. EE IEMs (like the Bravado and LX) are staged as though you are in the audience and everything is coming at you. Campfire IEMs, by comparison, generally provide a more immersive experience in that you feel as though you're in the thick of the action rather than a passive observer to it.

This is an interesting topic for me as I have a suspicion that this tendency towards the immersive is a relatively recent development in terms of popularity and is tied to the rise of the mobile phone and the transference of media to a more and more personal platform.
There was quadrophonic sound in the 70's, surround sound in home theatre and likely other experiments in "immersive" sound but I think the older generations, of which I'm one in terms of HeadFi, tend to think of music as performances and probably had more experience on the whole in terms of watching shows from the perspective of an audience. Coming from two channel, it took me a lot of years (25+) to even begin to accept the more immersive sound of CA iems as even acceptable beyond novelty.
I had placed so much primacy on soundstage as being the correct representation of music due to not only my bias for two channel but for music being created by physical instruments. With the rise of electronic music and so much these days being created from a desktop computer I think that the music that results is perhaps even more "correct" on an "immersive" transducer rather than one that follows some "tricks", like recessed midrange, to create the sense of being in an audience.
Further, I wonder if this sense of audience is tied to a conception of identity.. to be a perceiver within a performance and that to create an iem with this might be perceived as "safer" in a very literal sense. I think that's why something like the Dorado 2020, which I find quite immersive, doesn't usually end up being my choice for late night listening where some separation from the music is more conducive to heading off to sleep or listening in a more reflective state.
Anyway.. I could ramble about this stuff but McLuhan predicted most of this trend towards the more immediate visual way of relating to the world and that, I think, this trend of music and how we relate to it is intimately tied to our rising sense of importance on the individual.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #865 of 87,487
Your description perfectly captures the DD magic and appeal, and exactly the experience I have with the 3DT, as if in the room with the musician and the instruments sound organic. If there's any chance @tgx78 could do a brief comparison of modded 3DT compared to Isa that would be amazing (or anyone else with both). With a similar tuning when modded I would be interested to see what 3 DDs provide on the technicalities front. Whatever happens I know I'm in safe hands with these two IEMs. We are spoilt for choice!
Just compared the two. While my modded 3DT is a fairly typical harman-ish sounding monitor with a bit of added bass, the Isabellae leans towards a more neutral sound. The drivers of the 3DT exhibit slightly better bass extension with more emphasis on subbass compared to the Isabellae, but mid-bass impact is similar - neither earphone suffers from elevated mid-bass encroaching lower Mids. The Isabellae does have a bit more presence in the lower midrange, giving it a fuller, a slight warmth to the Mids, very similar to the “neutral warm” tone of the IER-M9 but with much better timbre and dynamics. Upper Midrange of the Isabellae is quite neutral, with a hint of pinna gain boosts to give a little clarity and liveliness. It works. Vocal intelligibility is especially good with the Isabellae. The 3DT, in comparison, has less prominent mids and can at times appear a touch distant and vague. Lastly, the treble of the 3DT is more forgiving as my modification focuses on dampening its peaks, but remains just as clean and resolving as that of the Isabellae. Although I notice Isabellae’s treble extension a touch superior to the 3DT as I can hear more overtones and formants in music, they both sound great with my classical music library. Anything with vocals, Isabellae was preferred over the 3DT.
Technicalities are pretty refined and presentation / layering is quite likable on both.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #866 of 87,487
Just compared the two. While my modded 3DT is a fairly typical harman-ish sounding monitor with a bit of added bass, the Isabellae leans towards a more neutral sound. The drivers of the 3DT exhibit slightly better bass extension with more emphasis on subbass compared to the Isabellae, but mid-bass impact is similar - neither earphone suffers from elevated mid-bass encroaching lower Mids. The Isabellae does have a bit more presence in the lower midrange, giving it a fuller, a slight warmth to the Mids, very similar to the “neutral warm” tone of the IER-M9 but with much better timbre and dynamics. Upper Midrange of the Isabellae is quite neutral, with a hint of pinna gain boosts to give a little clarity and liveliness. It works. Vocal intelligibility is especially good with the Isabellae. The 3DT, in comparison, has less prominent mids and can at times appear a touch distant and vague. Lastly, the treble of the 3DT is more forgiving as my modification focuses on dampening its peaks, but remains just as clean and resolving as that of the Isabellae. Although I notice Isabellae’s treble extension a touch superior to the 3DT as I can hear more overtones and formants in music, they both sound great with my classical music library. Anything with vocals, Isabellae was preferred over the 3DT.
Technicalities are pretty refined and presentation / layering is quite likable on both.

Thanks. Clearly both are very capable. It will be tough with my library and tastes to, on paper, put one over the other. One appeal of the 3DT is the strong bass extension and rumble for some genres of music. A more refined mid presentation with better vocal nauce does sound up my street, however.

Unfortunately I couldn't hold onto both, so it's a very tough proposition.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #867 of 87,487
Nice to hear Isabellae is best for vocals, can´t wait to my unit arrives.

Jun 13, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #868 of 87,487
I think that's why something like the Dorado 2020, which I find quite immersive, doesn't usually end up being my choice for late night listening where some separation from the music is more conducive to heading off to sleep or listening in a more reflective state.

Yesterday morning I was in a relaxed/blissful/meditative state on the couch listening to Elysium. I got up to start doing chores and after a couple minutes i was like "hold up, this isn't working...I need a kick in the pants to get going" so I swapped out Ely for Dorado and soon enough I was dancing/vacuuming around my house to thumping beats & driving rhythms for the next two hours.

Vocal intelligibility is especially good with the Isabellae.

So good-- vocals on Isa all seem to glow with their own inner light and presence-- the tuning really is remarkable.

Thanks. Clearly both are very capable. It will be tough with my library and tastes to, on paper, put one over the other. One appeal of the 3DT is the strong bass extension and rumble for some genres of music. A more refined mid presentation with better vocal nauce does sound up my street, however.

Unfortunately I couldn't hold onto both, so it's a very tough proposition.

I have a strong and clear sense, based on our interactions here and on my personal experience, that you will love the Isa-- just do it :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #869 of 87,487
Found this old piece on the interweb. Frequency range varieties, with their effects. Not sure if they're true. What do you think?
Screenshot.png

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #870 of 87,487
Found this old piece on the interweb. Frequency range varieties, with their effects. Not sure if they're true. What do you think?
Screenshot.png

That's like a Haiku version of something similar I saw once-- it seems pretty spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back