Rockna Wavelight
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #436 of 1,607
@rayofsi , I owe you one for getting the ball rolling. I was a little bummed with the issue. Now I feel quite relieved.
early feb they told me theres control 1.29 but thats not released yet.
i think they will probably release after a few more adjustments and give us 1.30 etc. i noticed the issue happened out of nowhere. i just installed a matrix element h usb a while before that and i kept thinking it was a issue with my usb card. But all my other dacs worked fine.

Hope they give us a update soon. its annoying getting it working.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #441 of 1,607
I heard playing through single ended outputs suck compared to XLR. Can someone confirm or deny this?

I didn't think they sucked. Just lesser in volume compared to xlr. I quite enjoyed the rockna single ended out to power amplifier.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #442 of 1,607
I have not experienced this. I run single to my PrimaLuna and XLR to my Rogue. I do believe there is a way I can test this though. My Rogue is a preamp and I believe I can run XLR into it and RCA out of it through the preamp. I can volume match the regular se from the Rockna and the se out of the Rogue in the PrimaLuna and see if there is a difference. I know there are factors given the XLR is changed to SE in the Rogue but it doesnt hurt to test.

I am having my first son in less than a week....and so it will be a little while before I can set this up and test it....but I will post results after I have done it.
I heard playing through single ended outputs suck compared to XLR. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #443 of 1,607
I w
I have not experienced this. I run single to my PrimaLuna and XLR to my Rogue. I do believe there is a way I can test this though. My Rogue is a preamp and I believe I can run XLR into it and RCA out of it through the preamp. I can volume match the regular se from the Rockna and the se out of the Rogue in the PrimaLuna and see if there is a difference. I know there are factors given the XLR is changed to SE in the Rogue but it doesnt hurt to test.

I am having my first son in less than a week....and so it will be a little while before I can set this up and test it....but I will post results after I have done it.
So you're running 2 interconnects from Wavelight for 2 different systems. When you're using one of them, does the other one have to be turned off? Or it doesn't (only turned down) but performance goes down?

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #444 of 1,607
Yes I use it in the two systems. Usually only have one of the amps on. I've never found any performance downgrade even if I have them both going at the same time with sometimes I do for headphone use

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #445 of 1,607
I have owned a Wavelight previously and moved to a Holo May KTE, so I could provide some impressions! However, its been quite awhile since i've listened to the Wavelight, and the bridging setup is different. So take my impressions with a huuuge grain of salt. I know you guys have been wanting to hear about a comparison!

for the Wavelight it was connected to PC via Pink Faun OCXO i2s bridge with a Tubulus Argentus i2s cable
for the Holo May KTE it is connected to PC via JCAT USB card XE with a Shunyata Alpha USB cable

So they actually share more in common in that they both sound exceptionally high end as befitting their respective price points. Clarity, Details, extremely black background, Organic, and "Lifelike" voices are words i'd share with both! Regardless which one you go with, I do not think you'd be disappointed with either.

How I would describe both:
Wavelight:
-Extremely Black Background
-Slighty more forward on the highs and mids? and slightly lacking on bass impact. (It's just Decent) But the bass extension goes on for miles!
-Organic
-less power hungry (15 watts measured) and a warmup of a few hours from standby

*Holo May KTE*
-Even blacker background.
-Extracts details just a little bit more.
-Very balanced without being hot up top.
-Excellent bass impact with extension that is just as deep as the Wavelight!
-Very analog sounding
-43 watts power consumption and requires a traditionally long warmup time
-USB is superior to the Wavelight's USB IMO**

**While I didn't test the Wavelight's latency through video tests and FPS games, the MAY KTE had no latency issues over USB. I do love how well designed their USB implementation is! It sounded exceptional even going straight into the PC! So if USB is something you want, go for the Holo May. **

So the reason why I moved from the Wavelight is more of a personal issue with my ears rather than for sound reasons. After damaging my ears, they became more sensitive than normal, so highs and mids that are too forward can fatigue me. The Wavelight's highs and mids were just slliiiiiightly more forward than i'd like, but it shouldn't fatigue most people!
The bass impact was also slightly less than my previous DAC, which was an Audiogd R8, so it was a little disappointing.

Moving to the Holo May KTE pretty much balanced the mids and highs out and it brought back the bass impact! It's definitely staying as my end game! But again, take these impressions with a huge grain of salt since I haven't listened to the Wavelight in awhile! I consider it within the same class of DAC's as the Holo May, but I do prefer the Holo May KTE more. Major respect to both companies for innovative and wonderfully designed DAC's. It's a good time to be into audio!

How would you compare the perception of depth, sound being 3 dimensional between these 2 dacs?

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #446 of 1,607
How would you compare the perception of depth, sound being 3 dimensional between these 2 dacs?

Unfortunately since it's been awhile from the comparison and selling the wavelight, I don't think I can answer that haha. Not to mention, some of my setup has changed since then!

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #448 of 1,607
They were planning on coming out with a patch to fix it. But they have decided to include the patch as part of the upcoming FW V1.11, which they are planning on releasing in a couple of weeks.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #449 of 1,607
Last day with my Wavelight before it goes to romania for a caseswap.
Getting my DAC internals switched into a Black case so that everything in my Setup fits perfectly!

I wonder how much I will miss it when I switch back to my Oppo Sonica DAC

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #450 of 1,607
Last day with my Wavelight before it goes to romania for a caseswap.
Getting my DAC internals switched into a Black case so that everything in my Setup fits perfectly!

I wonder how much I will miss it when I switch back to my Oppo Sonica DAC
Oh, that is the reason why an audio add...enthusiast has to have at least two piece of every type of equipment in the chain with similar capabilities.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back