Rockna Wavelight
Jan 27, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #406 of 1,645
Lampizators are great))
PRrAo-FvgPY.jpg

I also was thinking about hub/vox, or wavelight, because looked something smaller for my working room, but in the end decided keep Lampi)
Really like the headphone stand you have...

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #407 of 1,645
it's handmade stands which are made by one special ortodox religious community in Siberia, who for some reason decided to produce these stands which emulate Easter island statues. I was really surprised to know that. there are many many colors of these stands and they cost around 200 USD. can order one for you if you wish)

I am the bear and of course I wanted this one - https://doctorhead.ru/product/podstavka_golova_medvedya/ - but it is very expensive for me, around 600 USD, so I took this one. they are also made in such a style - https://doctorhead.ru/product/dr_head_big_head_temnoe_derevo/

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #408 of 1,645
Is anyone using a Matrix SPDIF 2 for I2S into their Wavelight? If so, what settings need to be changed? I'm not having much luck with mine. I've searched and searched. I've emailed Matrix but haven't gotten a response yet.
Thanks

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #410 of 1,645
In Audiobyte someone was using it and its needs to change the DAC settings to "PS Audio" to make it work.

Okay.. For the I2S configuration that is not rockna or hydra. Need to open the Vox and set the dip switch to on to make this work. It turns off the i2s isolation and enables the PSAudio I2S setting. For Temp solution, I am using cheap Matrix Audio SPDIF 2 to covert USB to I2S into Hydra Vox.

Expecting much better sound.. let see.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #411 of 1,645
I was getting some faint background hum when using my wa33 as pre-amp to my power amplifier. A friend, @Sage Encore suggested why not use dac direct to power amp.

Hooked up some rca cables from the wavelight to the apollon. Am playing music to my susvara and its the most amazing sound i've heard from it so far..

The soundstage just got so wide, and the background is so quiet the music really just appears out nowhere its so spooky.. I've got goosebumps.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #412 of 1,645
I was getting some faint background hum when using my wa33 as pre-amp to my power amplifier. A friend, @Sage Encore suggested why not use dac direct to power amp.

Hooked up some rca cables from the wavelight to the apollon. Am playing music to my susvara and its the most amazing sound i've heard from it so far..

The soundstage just got so wide, and the background is so quiet the music really just appears out nowhere its so spooky.. I've got goosebumps.
That's actually sad to hear that it sounds better without Wa33 as preamp.

Would have imagined the "tube magic" would have a positive impact

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #413 of 1,645
That's actually sad to hear that it sounds better without Wa33 as preamp.

Would have imagined the "tube magic" would have a positive impact

A little sad too. The wa33 was only truly quiet with the power amp when using the KR 2a3 tubes. Oh well upside is I now know the wavelight as a pre is pretty amazing.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #415 of 1,645
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #416 of 1,645
Yesss! my Wavelight arrived!! I'm so excited I kind of want to call in sick to have some time with it :smiley:

Oh and @Roasty I have the same firmware version!

IMG_20200907_191536.jpg
I saw you sold the wavelight, but how did it pair with the mz3? Is it a good match? I own the mz3 and I'm looking to upgrade my dac but not sure which direction I want to go in. I have the Empyrean as well and just curious about this pair. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #417 of 1,645
I saw you sold the wavelight, but how did it pair with the mz3? Is it a good match? I own the mz3 and I'm looking to upgrade my dac but not sure which direction I want to go in. I have the Empyrean as well and just curious about this pair. Thanks!

Ooh nice! A fellow Empyrean and MZ3 owner!

For me, the empy + mz3 + Wavelight was verryyyy slightly fatiguing on the upper end.(I have hyperacusis)

I ran with mullard 12au7's and Ken Rad 6sn7's in the mz3, which has been the least fatiguing setup with the Wavelight (in NOS). Switching to Sophia electric 12au7's was a bit too hot on the high end for me.

Also bass impact was a little lighter than my preference. (I listen to edm and retrowave on occasion)

I do think the two are a decent match though! Both have that certain organicness to them while being relatively neutral!
Both together have a surreal quietness due to their very black backgrounds.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #418 of 1,645
Ooh nice! A fellow Empyrean and MZ3 owner!

For me, the empy + mz3 + Wavelight was verryyyy slightly fatiguing on the upper end.(I have hyperacusis)

I ran with mullard 12au7's and Ken Rad 6sn7's in the mz3, which has been the least fatiguing setup with the Wavelight (in NOS). Switching to Sophia electric 12au7's was a bit too hot on the high end for me.

Also bass impact was a little lighter than my preference. (I listen to edm and retrowave on occasion)

I do think the two are a decent match though! Both have that certain organicness to them while being relatively neutral!
Both together have a surreal quietness due to their very black backgrounds.
Ok, that makes sense. I do want a good amount of slam if I'm paying $4-5k.
I'm running French Mazda military 12AT7WAs and 6SN7s RCA VT231 military grey glass in the mz3. Seems to have a little more body, separation, stage, and maybe even more detail. I'd like to find something (dac) that pairs with the mz3 and adds more slam but also nothing too bright. I like where it's at now and any brighter wouldn't seem as natural.
If you don't mind me asking, what dac did you move to since selling the wavelight?
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #419 of 1,645
Ok, that makes sense. I do want a good amount of slam if I'm paying $4-5k.
I'm running French Mazda military 12AT7WAs and 6SN7s RCA VT231 military grey glass in the mz3. Seems to have a little more body, separation, stage, and maybe even more detail. I'd like to find something (dac) that pairs with the mz3 and adds more slam but also nothing too bright. I like where it's at now and any brighter wouldn't seem as natural.
If you don't mind me asking, what dac did you move to since selling the wavelight?
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

I moved to the Holo May KTE since, and I found it more to my liking! (More slam, less fatiguing) I believe I have a very loose comparison of the Wavelight and the May somewhere in this thread. (maybe a page back? if not, in the Holo May thread :smile_phones:)

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #420 of 1,645
I moved to the Holo May KTE since, and I found it more to my liking! (More slam, less fatiguing) I believe I have a very loose comparison of the Wavelight and the May somewhere in this thread. (maybe a page back? if not, in the Holo May thread :smile_phones:)
Are you still using the Holo May KTE with the mz3 or another amp? Thanks for your time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back