Rockna Wavelight
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #466 of 1,586
... and ordered!
but a Rockna Waredream DAC-XLR. :astonished: (15% off - helped. thanks @koven )

(i guess no new 77" Oled TV this year)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #467 of 1,586
... and ordered!
but a Rockna Dreamwave DAC-XLR. :astonished: (15% off - helped. thanks @koven )

(i guess no new 77" Oled TV this year)
Pretty sure you won't regret it!
Welcome to the proud Rockna owner community!

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #468 of 1,586
I just updated my firmware using the phone app, totally wireless. That was way easier than I expected. Easiest firmware update I've ever done. All I did was set my phone so it wouldn't go to sleep whilst doing the update (which took about a minute to do.) Highly recommended.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #469 of 1,586
I just updated my firmware using the phone app, totally wireless. That was way easier than I expected. Easiest firmware update I've ever done. All I did was set my phone so it wouldn't go to sleep whilst doing the update (which took about a minute to do.) Highly recommended.
You only updated the "control firmware" so basically the Part that Manages which features can be controlled via the App.

There is also the FPGA Firmware, for those one you need to play a "sound file" bit perfect to the amp.
It's just as easy to do, however you have to download it manually

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #470 of 1,586
You only updated the "control firmware" so basically the Part that Manages which features can be controlled via the App.

There is also the FPGA Firmware, for those one you need to play a "sound file" bit perfect to the amp.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know, will look into this.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #471 of 1,586
What, if any, are people using for DDC with their Rockna?
I was looking at the KTE-SU-2 (or singxer SU-6) - but the at that point i'm at Denafrips DDC cost.
I'm worried that the Pink Faun PCI card I2s card i got might pick up PC noise.
(i'll be using the Pi2saes when the PC is off, but both will be sources.)

Worry about clocks?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #472 of 1,586

I tried updating the FPGA firmware. Playing the file over usb, bitperfect. It didn't update, just played some test tones. Any idea why?

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #473 of 1,586
I tried updating the FPGA firmware. Playing the file over usb, bitperfect. It didn't update, just played some test tones. Any idea why?
Sounds like it isn't truly bitperfect, and therefore the DAC thinks it's just an audio file

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #474 of 1,586
Sounds like it isn't truly bitperfect, and therefore the DAC thinks it's just an audio file
Darn. I wonder how I get truly bitperfect on OSX. Thanks man.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #475 of 1,586
Darn. I wonder how I get truly bitperfect on OSX. Thanks man.
Unfortunately I don't know.
I personally use USB Audio Player Pro on my Android phone/tablet.
However it is not free and costs like 5 bucks.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #476 of 1,586
It looks like the wavelight server is now just a few weeks away. /me looks at @ThanatosVI for impressions.
also, right now, what are you using for feeding USB into your dac? no digital to digital converter? usb galvanic isolator? Fancy cable?

I'm getting itchy waiting for my dac and looking for things that i might be missing. I do have a snake old usb cable (AQ diamond) .. maybe i just a usb galvanic isolator and be done with it? (or not? i'm not totally sure if that battery power thing is doing on the cable.)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #477 of 1,586
It looks like the wavelight server is now just a few weeks away. /me looks at @ThanatosVI for impressions.
also, right now, what are you using for feeding USB into your dac? no digital to digital converter? usb galvanic isolator? Fancy cable?

I'm getting itchy waiting for my dac and looking for things that i might be missing. I do have a snake old usb cable (AQ diamond) .. maybe i just a usb galvanic isolator and be done with it? (or not? i'm not totally sure if that battery power thing is doing on the cable.)

Nothing, just a USB C to USB A converter. Regular printer cable, nothing fancy. I'll try another computer, without the converter.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #478 of 1,586

Well the Server was planned to Release last November.
However there were some delivery problems on certain parts which lead to delay in production.

I will certainly give my impressions once it is here.
Tomorrow is my new Wavelight DAC sheduled to arrive (this time in black)

Right now I use an Android phone with UAPP and an Amazon basics USB cable. So nothing fancy at all.
I had a Pink Faun USB cable for like a week, and also thought I heard improvement. However I decided to go directly I2s with the Server therefore I went back to my Amazon cable for the time being

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #480 of 1,586
@ThanatosVI Have you looked at getting a Pi2sAES? It would be really interesting to compare that to the wavelight server.

this video got me thinking that maybe it just the clean nature of the sig from server is what makes it sound so great. (and it seems the pi2saes is super quite. I ordered one but i'd have nothing to compare it to other than the PC. (is is also a TON cheaper and $4300 is a lot for a steamer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back