Rockna Wavelight
May 24, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #1,606 of 1,645
New module gives a blacker background, deeper, more precise bass line, some more mikro details and transparency too. I do not think it will influence other inputs like AES, I2S, but I only use OPT and USB on my WL so can not comment on that…

May 24, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,607 of 1,645
Can someone please just send me the 1.38 firmware? I've asked Rockna early Thursday morning and still waiting, they're probably closed for the weekend now. I've asked original seller and he doesn't seem to know how to do it, he only has a cellphone and says he can't find the file when he clicks the link. I'd like to get this tested so I can determine if I'll be reselling it or not, was hoping to accomplish that this weekend.

*Edit - Nevermind I walked him through how he could find the file on his phone and he figured it out. So now the question is which file do I use? There's an "a35" and an "s25", does it matter which one I use?

Update completed as per release notes. Now on 1.38. Unfortunately it just introduced a different problem with i2s. Now the issue is I can only play 44.1/88.2/176.4 PCM files and 48/96/192 don't work. DSD seems fine. Channels are no longer inverted. Oh well...

Thanks to everyone who took the time to attempt to help. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,609 of 1,645
Hmm. You did a complete power off (remove power cable) after flashing, wait 30sec and power on again?
I've done it all. I'm not the only one to encounter this problem, I searched the thread and there was another guy who had the exact same problem when using a U18 with Wavelight. I've not had issues with any other DACs using the same U18 via I2s.

Pretty strange behavior though, I went from v1.04 which was at least playing all PCM sample rates just required swapping L/R XLR's to v1.38 which only plays PCM sample rates in multiples of 44.1kHz. At least with the older FW I could swap XLR and listen to the majority of my library. This is a step backwards. Seems like Rockna products don't really play nice with other brands I2S. Good learning experience though, will be selling the Wavelight and moving on.

May 25, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #1,611 of 1,645
Here is my final mod to the Wavelight. Duelund JDM Tinned Copper .1uf capacitor bypasses.
More details and results in sound quality could you give?

May 26, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #1,612 of 1,645
There was some early talk that the SE output of this device was not very good sounding at all, then others said it was fine. Do you guys think this may have been the v1 version of the mainboard, while the v2 version fixed something?

As a SE user myself, one must always be on the lookout for gimped SE output - because SE is often an afterthought for a manufacturer.

May 26, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #1,613 of 1,645
More details and results in sound quality could you give?
Extremely high resolution. Music is Holographic almost tangible.
Jet Black background, zero noise.
Timbre is amazing (Duelund Tinned Copper capacitors are the very best in this regard), voices sound like they are in the room.
Bass, especially on drums have zero bleed. Amazing impact and recovery on my drivers.
Layering is almost life like, all the fuzz in the music is gone, and no harshness whatsoever.
This DAC is playing on a completely different level.
Capacitors are still burning in, and they're probably going to take at least 200 hours to settle in, so I'll leave my final impressions here by the end of the week.

This is the most no brainer upgrade on this DAC as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #1,614 of 1,645
@Diet Kokaine I'm presuming you are bypassing each pair of black and blue caps? But what is occurring on the right hand side? Are you bypassing each bank of caps with a Duelund. Would be great to see a picture of the underside before you fitted it back together.

And you removed the fuse holder to direct wire a fuse in?

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #1,615 of 1,645
@Diet Kokaine I'm presuming you are bypassing each pair of black and blue caps? But what is occurring on the right hand side? Are you bypassing each bank of caps with a Duelund. Would be great to see a picture of the underside before you fitted it back together.

And you removed the fuse holder to direct wire a fuse in?
The bank of Capacitors on the right are installed in a parallel layout. So just two of them need to be bypassed. (top and bottom)
Same thing goes for the power capacitors on the left.
Top 2 are parallel,
then the next 2 (Left to Right)
The bottom 2 also just need one bypass.

The 4 blues need 2 bypasses.

I'm going to experiment with the Electrolytics on the Right upper half of the DAC at some point, see if they can also use bypasses.

Yes, fuse box is removed and fuse is directly soldered in.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #1,616 of 1,645
May 26, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #1,618 of 1,645
@Diet Kokaine looks great. Have you considered removing the voltage selector jumpers & directly soldering wires in their place? I don't have a wavelight, but bypassing the voltage selector on my dac gave a small but worthwhile improvement for the small amount of work required.
1716725066247.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back