Rockna Wavelight
May 22, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #1,591 of 1,645
Can someone please send me the latest firmware update for the Wavelight? I just picked one up on the used market and it forces you to create an account and register your product simply to download firmware -- when I attempt to register it says already registered so I can't download the firmware. A little annoying tbh...

Also has anyone been able to get the DAC working natively with i2s and a Gustard U18 DDC? Right now it's fine when playing DSD but with PCM the channels are reversed. Tried changing i2s modes in the menu with no effect.

May 22, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #1,592 of 1,645
Why not ask the seller for the login information? Or send you the latest FW?

May 22, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #1,593 of 1,645
Why not ask the seller for the login information? Or send you the latest FW?
Is Rockna warranty support restricted to the first registered owner?

Hardware cannot be duplicated, there is no reason to apply restrictions similar to licensing software. There is serial number, name of the previous owner, send request to Rockna, more practical approach.

May 22, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,594 of 1,645
Can someone please send me the latest firmware update for the Wavelight? I just picked one up on the used market and it forces you to create an account and register your product simply to download firmware -- when I attempt to register it says already registered so I can't download the firmware. A little annoying tbh...
Email Nicolae/Rockna—they’ll transfer ownership to you to access the registration page for firmwares with original buyer’s permission/confirmation.

May 23, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,595 of 1,645

Also has anyone been able to get the DAC working natively with i2s and a Gustard U18 DDC? Right now it's fine when playing DSD but with PCM the channels are reversed. Tried changing i2s modes in the menu with no effect.
Try power cycle the WL after changing the i2s mode.

May 23, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #1,596 of 1,645
Try power cycle the WL after changing the i2s mode.
Power down to standby and then power on again or remove the power cable entirely?

May 23, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #1,597 of 1,645
Power down to standby and then power on again or remove the power cable entirely?
Just to standby and power on again.
But you can try both.

I managed to swap the left and right channels after a long fight when WL connected to a Wavedream Net by i2s , but I am not sure what was the final reason of success. I suspect it was the going standby after changing i2s setting, but I am not sure.

May 23, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,598 of 1,645
Just to standby and power on again.
But you can try both.

I managed to swap the left and right channels after a long fight when WL connected to a Wavedream Net by i2s , but I am not sure what was the final reason of success. I suspect it was the going standby after changing i2s setting, but I am not sure.
No dice. I don't think changing the modes does anything at all, channel & phase remains the same and the DAC doesn't get a lock on any DDC mode other than 'Gustard'. I have to swap my XLR cables just to get PCM working correctly, can't use DSD. If you had trouble using 2 Rockna i2s products together it doesn't bode well for any other brands. This WL might have a very short stay in my system :sweat_smile:

May 24, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #1,599 of 1,645
No dice. I don't think changing the modes does anything at all, channel & phase remains the same and the DAC doesn't get a lock on any DDC mode other than 'Gustard'. I have to swap my XLR cables just to get PCM working correctly, can't use DSD. If you had trouble using 2 Rockna i2s products together it doesn't bode well for any other brands. This WL might have a very short stay in my system :sweat_smile:
@Mimetic to be honest I never had issue with I2S connection when using Rockna WaveLight Server with WaveLight. On the other hand AES input of WL lacks nothing and the only reason I am using ATM I2S input is WLS upsampling support limited currently to this connection type.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #1,600 of 1,645
@Mimetic to be honest I never had issue with I2S connection when using Rockna WaveLight Server with WaveLight. On the other hand AES input of WL lacks nothing and the only reason I am using ATM I2S input is WLS upsampling support limited currently to this connection type.
I have a pretty big library of DSD128/DSD256 albums so AES isn't a good option for me as it's limited to DSD64 DoP.

May 24, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,601 of 1,645
I have a pretty big library of DSD128/DSD256 albums so AES isn't a good option for me as it's limited to DSD64 DoP.
@Mimetic ok, I understand your point, but why not use USB input then? I guess the whole idea behind Gustard DDC has been in the first place to eliminate direct USB connection, but IMHO WL offers great quality of USB input (easily comparable to Chord dacs). I've switched from USB to I2S only due to WLS current limitations and functionality. Otherwise I would stay with USB and still be happy about it. As a side note: if you really want to exploit WL I2S input and the price is not a problem IMHO the best way is to get WLS, not compatibility issues etc and works out of the box with Roon and MPD.

May 24, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,602 of 1,645
@Mimetic ok, I understand your point, but why not use USB input then? I guess the whole idea behind Gustard DDC has been in the first place to eliminate direct USB connection, but IMHO WL offers great quality of USB input (easily comparable to Chord dacs). I've switched from USB to I2S only due to WLS current limitations and functionality. Otherwise I would stay with USB and still be happy about it. As a side note: if you really want to exploit WL I2S input and the price is not a problem IMHO the best way is to get WLS, not compatibility issues etc and works out of the box with Roon and MPD.
From what I've read the USB implementation isn't the best, I might try it if I'm forced to but TBH I'd rather just sell the Wavelight and move on to something else at that point. I won't be buying a WLS.

I'd like to try a newer firmware as my unit is on 1.04 but still waiting on that...

May 24, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #1,603 of 1,645
From what I've read the USB implementation isn't the best, I might try it if I'm forced to but TBH I'd rather just sell the Wavelight and move on to something else at that point. I won't be buying a WLS.

I'd like to try a newer firmware as my unit is on 1.04 but still waiting on that...
@Mimetic reading about it and listening for some time are two different things in my book. However you are right: buying and keeping WL only for I2S input doesn't make much sense at all. Rockna WL has some other great features like sound signature that I know it is a keeper for me.

May 24, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #1,604 of 1,645

There is a new USB plugin module that has galvanic isolation that I changed in my WL (FW 2.10). Upgrade worth doing!👍😃

May 24, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,605 of 1,645
There is a new USB plugin module that has galvanic isolation that I changed in my WL (FW 2.10). Upgrade worth doing!👍😃
@TBMY this is something I am yet to explore, but since I've stopped using USB and moved to AES and I2S due to WLS I really wonder if I need this upgrade. Still debating with myself from time to time. From your current experience after using it for some time what are the differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back