RockJaw Alfa Genus - Reviews, Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #61 of 179
Anyone compare the AG vs the Arcana V2?  I'm guessing that the AG would be an upgrade due to the filter options.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #62 of 179
I should really have put a brief comparison in my Arcana 2 review (http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-arcana-v2/reviews/12330)

I really liked what I heard with them - sort of A-G + champagne filter, but with an earthier tone.  I'll get them both out tonight, and see if I can jot a few notes for you.

I'm listening to the Kommand pretty much solid at the moment (in preparation for the review).  Would be fair to say it deserves its TOTL position for RockJaw.  I love it so far.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #63 of 179
@slowpickr

Tested them side by side tonight - Arcana V2 vs A-G with champagne ("balanced") filters.

Used same source (Fiio X5), same tips, same tracks.

A-G sounds smoother, vocals are a little distant comparatively, overall feel is quite relaxed.

Av2 sounds closer, more bass, there is a little more sparkle, move V shaped - gives it both more thump and more edge to guitars etc.

Overall with the ones I have here, Arcana is built slightly better, but of course the A-G has the filters (versatility).

Despite not normally liking too much bass, I find that I'm actually drawn more to the Arcana's fun, vivid and edgy sound - but I think it would depend on mood. I do like both.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #64 of 179
Thanks Brooko!

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #65 of 179
Just received these today, bought directly from Rock Jaw. Made my purchase after reading the positive treads. I cant be happier. 

For its price point : €49, including delivery and 3 year warranty its a steal! Build quality is solid and looks great in my view.

Sound: Plugged them directly into my fiio x5 using the silver filter that comes pre installed. Yikes, terrible rattle from the left ear piece.Fixed by tightening the said filter, Phew!! Silver filter has a bit too too much bass for my liking but can why people would like it. Have not tried the black filter yet. Champagne filter is perfect....

My music source is always Donald Fagens Morph the Cat (Flac) when testing new iems (Dont actually like the song) but it has great detail. The Alphas handled it with without a care in the world. No vibration when cranked up! Handled mids, high and bass perfectly for the price.

Having been fed up purchasing mid-fi iems such as klipch x10i plus x7's and having to contend with buyers remorse due to fit issues and build quality, i would recommend these with confidence. I know its early days regarding build, but the 3 years warranty gives me confidence. 

Just a final note regarding Rock Jaw. Had a small problem when ordering on-line via their website. They confirmed that they had a problem with their merchant service provider and its now fixed. They seem to go that bit extra regarding customer care and value ones custom. Funny thing.. when i opened the delivery box a packet of Haribo jellies fell out. I kid you not. Made me smile. 

Keep Well
Voxie

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #66 of 179
Just received these today, bought directly from Rock Jaw. Made my purchase after reading the positive treads. I cant be happier. 

For its price point : €49, including delivery and 3 year warranty its a steal! Build quality is solid and looks great in my view.

Sound: Plugged them directly into my fiio x5 using the silver filter that comes pre installed. Yikes, terrible rattle from the left ear piece.Fixed by tightening the said filter, Phew!! Silver filter has a bit too too much bass for my liking but can why people would like it. Have not tried the black filter yet. Champagne filter is perfect....

My music source is always Donald Fagens Morph the Cat (Flac) when testing new iems (Dont actually like the song) but it has great detail. The Alphas handled it with without a care in the world. No vibration when cranked up! Handled mids, high and bass perfectly for the price.

Having been fed up purchasing mid-fi iems such as klipch x10i plus x7's and having to contend with buyers remorse due to fit issues and build quality, i would recommend these with confidence. I know its early days regarding build, but the 3 years warranty gives me confidence. 

Just a final note regarding Rock Jaw. Had a small problem when ordering on-line via their website. They confirmed that they had a problem with their merchant service provider and its now fixed. They seem to go that bit extra regarding customer care and value ones custom. Funny thing.. when i opened the delivery box a packet of Haribo jellies fell out. I kid you not. Made me smile. 

Keep Well
Voxie

Glad you like them Voxie.

All UK customers get some haribo. Would love to send to all customers over the world, but worry about customs causing an issue if they are not permitted.

Its our small way of saying thank you for being a customer :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #67 of 179
Hi Bob,

Sorry it was not a detailed review. Was just my first impressions out of the box. Limited time! 

Few points... which ear piece is left and right is kinda hard to determine. Since each ebony barrel is a different colour due to its nature, i can now easily determine which is which. I always wondered why  headphone manufactures don't insert  braille dots on some part of the headset for people who have problems with their sight Just a thought! 

Best
Voxie

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #68 of 179
  Hi Bob,

Sorry it was not a detailed review. Was just my first impressions out of the box. Limited time! 

Few points... which ear piece is left and right is kinda hard to determine. Since each ebony barrel is a different colour due to its nature, i can now easily determine which is which. I always wondered why  headphone manufactures don't insert  braille dots on some part of the headset for people who have problems with their sight Just a thought! 

Best
Voxie

^ plus one to this. The "L" and "R" labeling on the earphones are not very easily seen on the white shinny metal surface. Would prefer some color labeling or maybe make the wording black or colors with higher contrast. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #69 of 179
  ^ plus one to this. The "L" and "R" labeling on the earphones are not very easily seen on the white shinny metal surface. Would prefer some color labeling or maybe make the wording black or colors with higher contrast. 

I had not forgotten. It will roll out across all of them on various production runs, some already have the improved lettering such as kommand and hydra v2. Getting there guys
tongue.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #70 of 179
I just received my Alfa Genus on Monday.  Delivery date was exactly as promised by Amazon Prime, even though it was a holiday in the US.  I received the -002 version.  On Amazon, nomenclature was -002, but pictures were 001.  I was really going to be ok with either version.
Here are my unboxing impressions and initial out of the box sound impressions.

Unboxing:
I have a good news/bad news situation going on.

Good news is that I received the new packaging and I received ALL THREE tuning filters.  Yea!  Also included a bag, shirt clip, and the normal 8 tips.  I really like the new packaging, and will be keeping it for holding the different filters and tips that I'm not using while mobile.  The package even came with cellophane-like protection on the outside of the window AND on the INSIDE of the package window.  I removed the cellophane and the windows are very clear.  Not a big deal, but wanted to note it.

Bad news (for me - might be fantastic news for some other people) is that it arrived with a 4 conductor jack, and a 2 button controller connected on the left IEM cable.  I have not seen that mentioned by anyone else on this thread.  (However, I didn't make it through all of the reviews in the review section.  I ran out of time.)  Now please realize that I am an EXTREME minority.  I only use my equipment through amplifiers.  I have a Ray Samuels Intruder for my iPod Touch and iBasso DX50, and a Headstage Arrow for my ipod nano.  And I just purchased a Peachtree Audio Decco 65 for listening at work.  (Please don't tell me this is overkill.  I know it is overkill.  But that is how I listen to my music.  :)  I am just laying out the expectation that I am an extreme minority.)  I’m wearing the AG over the ear, so the button and voice control hits my left jaw line near my jugular.  One good thing is that no one will have to complain about figuring out which one is left and right now.  The controller is on the left.  :wink:

Initial Out of the Box Sound Impressions:
So I wanted to see how the two button controller worked with my iPod Touch (old version without camera).  I plugged it directly into my ipod and hit play on my current song.  This is the first time I have listened to the ipod unamped in years.  WOW!  I was listening to Beth Hart's "Caught Out in the Rain" from the album Bang, Bang, Boom, Boom.  All I can say is WOW!  The Alfa Genus came with the silver filter installed, and I just let it roll that way.  The bass is deep and full.  I am really impressed and like the sound right out of the box.  I am a believer in burn in, and plan to give it the 100 suggested hours, but I am also impressed the very first minute.

The two button controller seems to have two functions with my Touch.  A quick press and release of either button appears to pause and restart the song.  If I hold it down, it brings up a “Voice Control” feature on the ipod.  Something I haven’t ever used.  So I just slide to cancel on the ipod.  I don’t have an iphone, and I don’t listen to music on my android.  So I don’t know what the buttons do on those devices.

NOTE:  The way I use my iPod is to create smart playlists of my favorite music.  99.9% my MP3s on the ipod are 320 CBR ripped from CDs.  I use MP3gain to normalize the volume.  So while I'm writing this up, I'm just letting my smart playlist roll and listening to whatever shows up.  No specific test tracks or anything like that.  (I will use FLAC later with DX50.)

Stream of consciousness Sound Impressions:
As I mentioned, Beth Hart sounded fantastic.  I even replayed it!  Then I listened to a couple more tracks while typing.  Then Danny Elfman "Little Things" from the Wanted soundtrack came on.  This track is a special case, because it is my only download from iTunes and I've tried to normalize by using the slider bar and not MP3gain.  This track was WAYYYY to hot and too much bass.  I turned it way down.  I will apparently need to adjust the volume some more.  Glenn Hughes with Steve Vai and Chad Smith doing Highway Star from Deep Purple’s Machine Head tribute did show me that I want a bit more on the top end with Vai’s guitar.  Will try the different filters later...  Nevermind...  Turned it up a little bit and got what I was looking for.

Just plugged it into the Peachtree Audio Decco 65 halfway through Anthrax covering Neon Knights from the Dio tribute album.  Overkill?  Absolutely.  Sound good?  Heck yes.

The rest of this is with iPod>Line Out to RCA>Decco 65 aux input>Tube turned on.  Decco65 has about 3 hours on it and is definitely not burned in either.

Jethro Tull  “Witches Promise” sounded full and fantastic.  Elvis “Little Sister” has a standup bass plucking away in my right ear.  At least I think it is a standup bass.  I like it!  First time I’ve really listened to Elvis critically, and it sounds pretty good.  Another Jethro Tull.  Silver tips really give old Tull a fullness.

Marshall Tucker Band “Heard it in a Love Song” sounds the best I have ever heard this song.  Like the song a bit more now than I have in the past.  (Was extremely pedestrian to me, but now sounds great.  So many instruments going on all around in my head.)  I think the silver filters really help old classic rock, eighties metal,  and things that are not  new songs.  You know, the ones with compression issues and bass explosions.  (Not looking forward to Joss Stone showing up on the playlist.)

I will wrap this up as David Bowie sings "Five Years" from the album Stage.  One of my favorite Bowie songs.  Looking forward to hearing this on the gold/champagne filters.  But it really does sound phenomenal.  Final parting thoughts are that I really like the feel of the cable.  But just not a fan of the added controller.  (But I have that view on all IEM.) 

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #71 of 179
Fester - looks like the mic / buttons is an addition to the Alfa Genus line.

If you click once, it should pause or play.

Click twice rapidly, and you should advance one track

Click three times rapidly and you should go back one track

This works with i-devices, and should be the same for all the RockJaw line (works so far with Kommand, Hydra 2 and Arcana 2 as well)

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #73 of 179
I use Sony Isolation tips at the moment, and they seem to fit OK.  Need to stretch them a bit - but OK when on.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #75 of 179
Another question about the Alfa Genus... would it be an upgrade over the Ostry KC06A?  I'm having a difficult time finding anything under $50 that will beat the Ostry (or even $100 for that matter).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back