RockJaw Alfa Genus - Reviews, Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #31 of 179
Well, based on great buzz in this forum I went for the Alfa Genus 002 listed on Amazon. However, received the  Alfa Genus 001 which doesn't contain the gold filter or carrying case. I definitely appreciated the quality with neutral filter (black) but it's a tad bass-light and bright, so I've RMA's them and hopefully Amazon will ship the 002 version as that is what is on their listing. To be fair the listing directly from RockJaw as an Amazon seller now does make it clear theirs is the 2 filter version, and I went for that at the great price of $45  so it may be my error. I've reordered and paid a slightly higher price to order from Amazon's rather than Rockjaw's listing, as Amazon's doesn't have the disclaimer language that it's the 2 filter (older) version. A bit confusing but all will be well if I receive version 002 as advertised, which I believe has the additional "sweet spot" champagne gold filter and a carrying case I didn't receive with version 001. Looking forward to it, and Amazon was very professional in acknowledging the confusing listing. Hopefully they'll make it right and I can join all of you happy RockJaw Alfa Genus 002 listeners in enjoying the updated kit.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #32 of 179
Well, based on great buzz in this forum I went for the Alfa Genus 002 listed on Amazon. However, received the  Alfa Genus 001 which doesn't contain the gold filter or carrying case. I definitely appreciated the quality with neutral filter (black) but it's a tad bass-light and bright, so I've RMA's them and hopefully Amazon will ship the 002 version as that is what is on their listing. To be fair the listing directly from RockJaw as an Amazon seller now does make it clear theirs is the 2 filter version, and I went for that at the great price of $45  so it may be my error. I've reordered and paid a slightly higher price to order from Amazon's rather than Rockjaw's listing, as Amazon's doesn't have the disclaimer language that it's the 2 filter (older) version. A bit confusing but all will be well if I receive version 002 as advertised, which I believe has the additional "sweet spot" champagne gold filter and a carrying case I didn't receive with version 001. Looking forward to it, and Amazon was very professional in acknowledging the confusing listing. Hopefully they'll make it right and I can join all of you happy RockJaw Alfa Genus 002 listeners in enjoying the updated kit.

Hi LoryWiv

The ones on sale on our own listing on Amazon US are old 2 filter model. The ones sold by Amazon directly are 3 but are of course a little more expensive.

I just checked our own Amazon US list and it does note that it is the old 2 filter model at $45 and in the condition section states old 2 filter model (just click on the $45 one) http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00KVFESM0/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Any questions please ask away

Cheers
Bob

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #33 of 179
Right you are, RockBob, and I appreciate the clarity. I did return the 2 filter version 001 for the Amazon listed one as I am excited for the gold-champagne filter....it's only ~!$5 more USD and the new filter is receiving raves from my fellow HeadFi'ers.

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #34 of 179
Just got this IEM from Amazon and only got 2 filters (silver and ebony). With the silver nozzle, bass is overpowering, with the ebony nozzle it sounds similar to ZA doppio. Going to return this and ordered the "upgraded" one with champagne nozzle, not a big deal, but a bit annoying. Will do further impression after I got the "upgraded" one. For now, back to ZA duoza.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 179
  Just got this IEM from Amazon and only got 2 filters (silver and ebony). With the silver nozzle, bass is overpowering, with the ebony nozzle it sounds similar to ZA doppio. Going to return this and ordered the "upgraded" one with champagne nozzle, not a big deal, but a bit annoying. Will do further impression after I got the "upgraded" one. For now, back to ZA duoza.

I ordered these from Amazon and the seller was RockJaw, mine did not come with the gold filters so I ordered filter pack directly off of the website. Shipped from England received in about 3 days. I don't think the gold filters are included with the product, but not sure.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 179

The amazon seller listing under Rockjaw direct does note it's the 2 filter version. I returned and reordered at a bit higher cost direct from amazon and hopefully will receive the 3 filter kit. Will post my impressions ionce received.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #37 of 179
Just got my rockjaw from amazon with the higher price and still only got 2 filters. Pretty disappointed. And believe it or not, I A/Bed both and they sound different. I use the ebony filter as the silver is just too much bass, the old one actually has better sound. The new one sounds hollow in comparison, I will return it instead and keep the old one. The sound reminds me of Ostry KC06. It has forward mid, sparkly treble and with the ebony filter, the bass is very tight and punchy. The sound is good and I believe with more burn in it will be better. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #38 of 179
  Just got my rockjaw from amazon with the higher price and still only got 2 filters. Pretty disappointed. And believe it or not, I A/Bed both and they sound different. I use the ebony filter as the silver is just too much bass, the old one actually has better sound. The new one sounds hollow in comparison, I will return it instead and keep the old one. The sound reminds me of Ostry KC06. It has forward mid, sparkly treble and with the ebony filter, the bass is very tight and punchy. The sound is good and I believe with more burn in it will be better. 

You can order a filter pack directly on the RockJaw Web site. It comes with the gold filters, that is what I did.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 179
Just ordered the replacement filters.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 179

Voicemaster, I had the same experience. Amazon's listing advertises this as Product GENRJF-002 but they ship GENRJ-001. It is confusing and actually misleading, even if an honest error. See images below for advertised (left) and delivered (right).:

Anyway, I'm deciding if I want to keep these and order the filters or go in a different direction. My IEM ADHD has me looking at the new TTPOD T2 with lust. Triple driver hybrid for just a bit more and I do love my Fidue A83.

Hope your listening is happy as despite the glitches, the tuning filter concept is very intriguing and Rockjaw seems like a great company to keep an eye (or perhaps ear) on. As an aside, can you comment on fit / seal and isolation, as I am considering these for active use.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #41 of 179
I am using comply tips with min which probably the best tip I've ever use. The out of the box sound is not bad although I can only test using the black filter, so it is very high oriented. I quite like the sound as they are rather forward just like ostry kc06 does. Fun and engaging.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #42 of 179
I am using comply tips with min which probably the best tip I've ever use. The out of the box sound is not bad although I can only test using the black filter, so it is very high oriented. I quite like the sound as they are rather forward just like ostry kc06 does. Fun and engaging.

I'm using the UETripleFi 10 Silicone tips on mine with the gold filters.

11tmNQtmW1L.jpg

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #44 of 179
For any that have a 2 filter model but want the new gold filter, just get in touch via PM and I will take care of you.

Cheers
Bob

Too late I already spent more money to buy the filters. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #45 of 179
Quote:
For any that have a 2 filter model but want the new gold filter, just get in touch via PM and I will take care of you.

Cheers
Bob

Quote:
  Too late I already spent more money to buy the filters.

Me too, but thank you for the offer, nice gesture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back