RockJaw Alfa Genus - Reviews, Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #76 of 179
You're in luck.  I have the Ostry at home (on loan).  I'll compare and get back to you in a few hours (currently at work).

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #77 of 179
Hi Scott - hopefully this helps.

Tested it on electronic - Armin Van Buuren, Lindsay Stirling, The Flashbulb 

And classic rock - Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Knopfler

All of this is compared to the KC06

• RockJaw Alfa Genus with gold / balanced filter
    Both are quite mid-focussed, KC06 brings the vocals a little closer, AG is a bit less vibrant with this filter
    Bass is quite similar between the two - AG might have just a little more impact
    KC06 is a little peakier / more strident - AG is smoother, more laid back
    Both have more similarities than differences

• RockJaw Alfa Genus with silver / bass filter
    AG now is a lot bassier - and smoothness is emphasised compared to the Ostry
    Vocals still relatively clear on both - but again Ostry very much more emphasised, more vivid
    Mid-bass on the AG is now major difference with a lot of thump

• RockJaw Arcana V2
    Arcana has more thump, and more bottom end warmth, but also a little bit more sizzle up top
    Definitely more sub-bass with the Arcana - I still think it's bass is better than the A-G. It slams.
    Vocals very clear on both, but agin KC06 is slightly closer with the vocals - marginal though

If you're looking for a contrast to your Ostry's, I'd go with the Arcana.  If you'd prefer something you can tune with the filters (I think you might quite like the silver based on your PM to me) - then the AG might suit.

I think it also depends on whether you plan to keep the KC06.  If you are, I'd edge towards the Arcana - if not, then the AG will give you a nice contrast between silver and gold filters.

I'm not usually into a lot of bass - but I'd actually take the Arcana over both the Ostry and Alfa Genus - that is just me though :wink:

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #78 of 179
Great results with Alfa Genus and the tiny XDuoo X2 player.

You would be surprised at the soundstage, detail and separation this little setup can put out. Genus don't seem to mind a little power and this unit has that in generous amounts. Great for on the go and super portable.

If anyone keen on checking one out for their Rockjaw products you can read below, they're only $55 USD.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748909/xduoo-x2-small-lossless-player-with-microsd-and-oled

About people having issues reading the left / right markings. It was a problem for me but as you can see I just cut a very thin strip of electrical tape and placed it on the right side, not only do I never need to look for the markings anymore, I can feel the tape in the dark.

Still really enjoying them, the tone and timbre!

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #80 of 179
So I have a couple hundred hours of burn in done.  Had the silver tips on the whole time.  Been listening to them periodically.  I have enjoyed them immensely with the silver.  Seemed to have a lot of impact and soul.

Today I switched out to the champagne colored tips.  I listened to some Primus (Pudding Time, Children) with the silver and then again with the champagne.  I do believe I like the champagne better.  Les Claypool’s bass and voice both came through better with the champagne.  It seemed like the silver was pushing a little too much bass at the expense of the rest of the spectrum.

When I switched to champagne, I definitely had to increase the volume.  But that was fine.  I seemed to hear more across the entire spectrum  and sound was more even as well.   I listened to some blues, then INXS Suicide Blonde.  Very clear high end on that song.

If I only had the silver tubes, I think I would be happy with them.  But having the silver and champagne, makes these like two different IEMs.

So far, so great!

Equipment is ipod nano>headstage arrow 2.2G>Alpha Genus.
Music is MP3s 320KBPS CBR MP3gain@90dB.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #82 of 179
They're pretty amazing IEMs for the price - aren't they Fester?  It continually surprises me that they don't have more exposure.  If you get the chance, and want a really fun IEM - great vocals, powerful but clear bass - you should also try the RockJaw Arcana 2.  Same price range - again, very good sound.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #84 of 179
They're pretty amazing IEMs for the price - aren't they Fester?  It continually surprises me that they don't have more exposure.  If you get the chance, and want a really fun IEM - great vocals, powerful but clear bass - you should also try the RockJaw Arcana 2.  Same price range - again, very good sound.

Holy Synergy, Batman!!!  I just engaged the bass boost on the Headstage Arrow 2.2G.  This is something that I never do.  It usually creates too much bloat and flabby bass.  I am not a big fan of EQ, in general.  So I don’t normally adjust EQ  on my players, or hardware.  But when I used the champagne filter and one click on the bass boost, it gave me a low end that I could hear well, and wasn’t bloated or flabby.  I’m listening to Queensrych – Hand On Heart.  I can actually hear the bass line but it isn’t overpowering the midrange or highs.  This is the first time in a long I have really liked the Arrow.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #85 of 179

+1 totally agree, think I might try the Arcana 2's, the Kommand looks interesting too.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #86 of 179
I totally admire my Alfa Genus, it was this product which inspired me to hear other RockJaw products (which I will get to soon), and if the Kommand impresses me as much I must own a pair. There's something about Alfa Genus's wooden housing and timbre that just create a really competent listening experience.

You know, Alfa Genus has had quite a lot of positive attention previously but it was all concentrated in RockJaw's sponsor section thread, so it's not really a new kid in town, there's pages and pages logged over there. This is why I wanted to bring it out to the main portable / IEM section with Brooko. I've even been running them from a $500 portable amp and they scale up really well. (probably why Fester is experiencing such good results)

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #88 of 179
+1 totally agree, think I might try the Arcana 2's, the Kommand looks interesting too.

RockJaw is making things difficult interesting.  :)  I would like to check out the Kommand as well.  Those look awesome.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #89 of 179
RockJaw is making things difficult interesting.  :)  I would like to check out the Kommand as well.  Those look awesome.

Sound pretty awesome too. I'd definitely recommend them without hesitation. My review (along with plenty of pics) is here
http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-kommand-ba-dynamic-hybrid/reviews/12444

Their middle filter sounded very natural.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #90 of 179
Sound pretty awesome too. I'd definitely recommend them without hesitation. My review (along with plenty of pics) is here
http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-kommand-ba-dynamic-hybrid/reviews/12444
Their middle filter sounded very natural.

Very nice review.  Excellent write up as always.  I will definitely put these on my list for next IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back