Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
Apr 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #286 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Shahrose

May I ask what high end source you are using?
smile.gif

USG

I don't think my source would be considered high-end in the big scheme of things. But it sounds quite a bit better than anything else I've heard. It's in my sig, Essence STX w/ 3xLME49720 opamp upgrade.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #287 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think my source would be considered high-end in the big scheme of things. But it sounds quite a bit better than anything else I've heard. It's in my sig, Essence STX w/ 3xLME49720 opamp upgrade.

I'm unfamiliar with your card so I Googled it, is this it? Possible Link to Card

USG

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #288 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recommended 843s
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi grawk,

I just rolled them in. Very nice recommendation.

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see, then, can you tell me your opinions about them? I have a set of 637s but they are a tad bit laid back to my taste and I'm just wondering if 843s have different characteristics.

Hi analogbox

grawk was right, these are very nice sounding chips.

Where the 637/627 is laid back, muting the details of its presentation at low volumes, the 843 is louder, brighter and clearer, with a thumpier bass, at the same volume setting. Because of this it is easier (for me) to hear the details in voice textures, for instance. I want to agree with grawk that it gets out of the way of the music. And it does this in a way I never felt the 637/727s did.

If we were to say the 637/627s have the charateristic laid back Burr Brown sound, the 843s have the characteristic AD sound which Tangent refered to as having snap and verve.

They sound more "powerful" and I'm not sure if "refined" and "smooth" are the same thing, but they seem to have more of it than what I can remember of the 8610s, but I'll roll the 8610s back in and out over the next few days and see.

"Smooth" was a good word choice by Tangent, but I find the 843s to have plenty of detail as well. They are a very good pairing with the M^3 and 650s. Maybe I just like the AD sound.

The 637/627s are very popular chips but I'm not sure what they have to offer is an equal trade off for the "snap and verve" of the 843s.

This is my first impression, so it might change when I roll the 637/627 and the 8610s back in. We'll see.

USG

YMMV

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #289 of 523
I really want to see a shoot-out between M^3, Caliente and Audio-gd C2C. Oh man, I don't know what happens to the demand for M^3, but suddenly nobody wants it anymore. There is a M^3 for sale in the FS forum for a long time, but nobody touches it. I wonder what is going on.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #291 of 523
The reason that one hasn't sold is he's asking $380 for a diy m3 with a wallwart power supply when no one knows the quality of his builds.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #292 of 523
Hey guys, I have problem with my M^3 + sigma 11. I don't know if the problem is with my Senn HD600 or with the amp, or even with my ear. The sound output suddenly becomes very low. I used to listen at 9:00, but now I have to crank up to 10:00 or 11:00 in order to not feel veiled. I don't keep track of burn-in time for my Senn but it is somewhere around 100 hrs. I burned it in with pink noise. Do you think the pink noise might damage the driver? Or something is wrong with the amp? Or even I suddenly become deaf?

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #293 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really want to see a shoot-out between M^3, Caliente and Audio-gd C2C. Oh man, I don't know what happens to the demand for M^3, but suddenly nobody wants it anymore. There is a M^3 for sale in the FS forum for a long time, but nobody touches it. I wonder what is going on.

Been there, done that.

The KICAS is not in the same class as the M^3 or the Woo3 I compared it to.

IMHO the KICAS was more like a Portaphile V2 Maxxed, with all switches on, running on AC power, but without the great bass that the Portaphile V2 Maxxed has. (Read Romanee's review of the Portaphile V2 Maxxed)

standard.jpg

I don't know which M^3 you are referring to
confused.gif
, but not all M^3s are the same since they vary by builder.

I can tell you that my RockHopper M^3s have an extremely upscale sound for their price point.

Regarding RockHopper M^3s.... if you want one you really have to be quick. They are gone within minutes of being posted on the RockHopper RSS feed.

The weak link in the photo below is the Constantine + which I will be replacing.

standard.jpg

USG

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #294 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm unfamiliar with your card so I Googled it, is this it? Possible Link to Card
USG

That's the one, however, mine has upgraded opamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIY amps were never really that popular

I disagree
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason that one hasn't sold is he's asking $380 for a diy m3 with a wallwart power supply when no one knows the quality of his builds.

That's pretty much it. Too bad, since it looks alright but noone can be certain without feedback. Plus, he's a fairly new member, which doesn't help.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #295 of 523
IDK some songs I can listen to at 9 but most times I want to crank it up to 10 or 11. With my DoubleHelix headphone cables they're solid UPOCC and they can handle a lot of current, seems they like a little more volume. I'm surely getting deafer from this hobby though :frowning2: it takes volume to pierce the veil.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #296 of 523
Quote:

I used to listen at 9:00, but now I have to crank up to 10:00 or 11:00 in order to not feel veiled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IDK some songs I can listen to at 9 but most times I want to crank it up to 10 or 11.

LOL, I don't know how you guys can listen so loud...
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
(btw, how long do you listen at those levels?)

I had it up to 9:00 for while comparing it to the Woo3 as you can see in the picture, but I usually leave it around 7:00 while I'm on the computer.

ttnl, what's your source?

USG

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #297 of 523
Well because my schedule in grad school is very tight, most of my listening session last about 20-30 min each session. My M^3 comes with 627/637. My source is Ipod, but the volume was not like this before. What i don't understand is the Senn HD600 was not veiled before burning in. Or maybe my tinnitus gets worse.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #298 of 523
Quote:

Well because my schedule in grad school is very tight, most of my listening session last about 20-30 min each session. My M^3 comes with 627/637. My source is Ipod, but the volume was not like this before. What i don't understand is the Senn HD600 was not veiled before burning in. Or maybe my tinnitus gets worse.

IC...

Are you using a line out dock or the headphone out jack with your ipod and are you using any EQ?

USG

Ah, I remember grad school (ages ago), no time to breathe....
normal_smile .gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #300 of 523
Is one suppose to buy 3 of the AD843 or just two? Do you keep the 8610 in the ground slot or replace all 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back