Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze opinions?
Aug 2, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #106 of 122
I just got a Fuze v2 for my wife and rockboxed it for her.

It's so much better than the clunky OF. She only listens to MP3 and the battery sure takes a long, long time to die out on Rockbox. Very tempted to get one as a backup for my Clip+.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #107 of 122
The only reason I would get a Fuze is if I can rockbox it and go LOD someday.  I also intuit a new Fuze will hit in the not too far off future.  

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #108 of 122

Quote:
I just got a Fuze v2 for my wife and rockboxed it for her.

It's so much better than the clunky OF. She only listens to MP3 and the battery sure takes a long, long time to die out on Rockbox. Very tempted to get one as a backup for my Clip+.
biggrin.gif

That's my setup....use the RB'd Fuze around the house, and the RB'd Clip+ everywhere else.....love it!

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #109 of 122
I've got a 4GB Fuze (not sure if it's V1 or 2) on the way that should be here tomorrow. I'm probably going to install Rockbox on it as soon as I take it out of the box. Can't wait!
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #110 of 122

Has a 4gb Fuze on it's way also(Was skint but what the hell that's what credit was designed for!)

Will definatly be rockboxing it!!!

Edit: just recieved my fuse and it has 02.02.26F On it so is that compatabe with rockbox?

Nope but the latest FW is
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #111 of 122
Now Rockboxed and it's blowing the rocks right off my Ipod touch, Sansa clip and my Blackberry!
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #112 of 122

Quote:
Now Rockboxed and it's blowing the rocks right off my Ipod touch, Sansa clip and my Blackberry!
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />

You can rockbox that Clip too, you know.
wink_face.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #114 of 122
RB is very reliable and has a lot of features that I like. The OF lacks a lot of basic features, but after doing a sound quality comparison between the OF and RB, I found the OF to be better than RB. As a result, I switched back to the OF. I only use RB when I need to use the recording features. Does RB sound bad? No not at all, but not as good as the OF IMHO. Using the same same songs in FLAC format, I compared the sound quality with the EQ's flat and special FX's off. I found in every case that the OF was lively, there was good instrument separation, stereo image was wide, the music sparkled, there was good proportion between lows, mid and highs. I had no need to EQ. On the other hand I found RB to be narrower in stereo image, a bit muddy with not as good instrument separation, the highs were slightly recessed in comparison and somewhat harsh, the sound was one-dimensional, flat, almost as though it was compressed (even though the limiter/compressor feature was off). I tried to play with the EQ and stereo image feature in RB to make it sound more like the OF, but no luck. In every attempt the EQ and stereo image features distorted the music and ruined each attempt.
I don't know if it is the RB implementation in the fuze that is the problem or Sandisk has done some very special processing of the sound in the OF that is not apparent. I do use RB in my Ipod Video 5.5g and it sounds really good with it, but I have not done an A|B comparison between the Ipod and the RB firmware yet.  

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #116 of 122

Quote:
I knew, that's why it's rockboxed already!
L3000.gif

I didn't think it was, since you said the Fuze sounded better than your Clip.....my bad.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #117 of 122
Clip sounds awesome too, though the Fuse just pips it to the top position! May be my subconcious thinking it's better because it's newer lol

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #119 of 122
Try gearxs on ebay and use their 800 number to ask for a v1 Fuze.  Don't forget to mention the auction number.  You can ref the phone call and your preference in an email when you pay. 

v2 and rockbox isn't considered to be as stable as v1. 

HTH.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #120 of 122
I think both v1 and v2 are stable, I have no problem with my Fuze v2, v2 firmware is released in current builds.

http://build.rockbox.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back